Apple verification problems

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Apple verification problems

Postby geoffhowe » 10/25/2018

Recently ported my number from Koodo to Fongo. Now stuck in Apple two factor verification trying to remove that number from my Apple ID. Cant receive texts (short code?) OR a phone call for verification method.

I realize that Fongo recommends deactivating iMessage prior to the port, but there are many reasons to keep iMessage active using just Apple ID without the cel number. I can’t deactivate it for that reason. Yes it is possible to deactivate a number from your Apple account account but like mentioned above you need access to the verification number to remove the iMessage number entirely, and prior to porting the activation process itself re-adds that number to iMessage. It’s an Apple issue but relevant info for those looking to use Fongo exclusively. You will have issues with this if you still want to use iMessage with Apple ID only, at least at first.

I also realize that short codes are an issue for verification but to not be able to receive call verification is a head shaker! If it’s a voip limitation that’s fine, but please advise ahead of time both options will not would be possible and the reasons why. You do have good documentation of the process but there needs to be more, and more clear.

The ironic thing is that my partner is thinking of switching to Fongo, but we now need her ‘real’ number as a verification method for Apple and other companies. What happens once we’ve both gone voip?

If it’s a money issue, I hope you’ll find a way to include purchase options or a premium version to enable short codes and verification or some kind. It’s huge in 2018 and will only get worse. If it’s a voip limitation ie the numbers are considered virtual or whatever the verification companies don’t like (voip abuse etc), then better documentation of what issues to expect will he helpful to make porting decisions.

Thank you.
geoffhowe
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone
ISP Name: Shaw

Re: Apple verification problems

Postby Jake » 10/26/2018

Have you tried signing up for a text package? According to this page https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ifications some restrictions might be lifted once you have a paid text subscription. For the sake of a couple of bucks it might be worth giving it go.

I fully agree with you though, it does seems like a bad catch21 loop to be stuck in.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby geoffhowe » 10/28/2018

Thanks Jake, yep I have the global txting package. Unfortunately doesn’t make a difference. Appreciate the help!

Geoff
geoffhowe
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: iPhone
ISP Name: Shaw

Postby Király » 02/08/2019

I have submitted a bug report to Apple about this, claiming that there are carriers that do not support the receipt of short SMS codes for iMessage and Facetime phone number registration. I suggested that they send verification codes via SMS from a normal phone number, and/or add an optional automated voice call that speaks out the verification number. I doubt Apple will do anything, though.
Király
Just Passing Thru

Postby little-star » 04/03/2021

This is an old post and I would like to know if it's possible to get iMessage and Facetime on my iPhone with Fongo number and Data plan
Any possibilities to activate a Fongo number for iMessage?
little-star
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/05/2021

little-star wrote:Any possibilities to activate a Fongo number for iMessage?

No. iMessage only works with numbers that's provided by SIM cards.
You can't use a Fongo number for Facetime either.

Neither of those services specifically require phone numbers, however.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support