Whatsapp!

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Whatsapp!

Postby garchass » 02/08/2019

Hello,

I want to use Whatsapp with my Fongo phone number, you Fongo doesn't allow me verify the phone number through short text or call.

If I transfer to another carrier for the time being to install and start my Whatsapp, then can I transfer back to Fongo for free (without paying $25)???

Thanks
garchass
One Hit Wonder

Re: Whatsapp!

Postby bridonca » 02/08/2019

No. Apparently you can verify whatsapp with a landline phone, might work with Fongo also. https://www.techwebspace.com/use-whatsa ... n-android/
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby raychanz » 09/03/2019

This is exactly my question. In my worst case, it seems that I have to port the number back to a real service provider, get the SMS code to verify my number for whatsapp. Should I be responsible for paying fongo again?
raychanz
One Hit Wonder

Postby FONGO_jeff » 09/26/2019

raychanz wrote:This is exactly my question. In my worst case, it seems that I have to port the number back to a real service provider, get the SMS code to verify my number for whatsapp. Should I be responsible for paying fongo again?

We are upfront about the fact that we don't support short codes and verifications codes are hit and miss. We explicitly state that there is no guarantee that WhatsApp or any other service will send your codes via text or call because this is not something we are able to control.

That said, I believe the vast majority of our users are able to activate WhatsApp via text or phone call.

I wouldn't recommend doing what your suggesting because if you port out your number, your account with us is terminated and you will have to start from scratch with a new account and new porting fee.

Finally, what happens if you did actually port out and back in and a couple weeks down the line your phone dies or something and you have to activate WhatsApp again?
FONGO_jeff
Site Moderator

Postby Munish59 » 11/27/2019

Hi I am thinking of paying to carry my number to Fongo. With a paid Fongo account will it increase my chances of receiving the Whatsapp verification code? Should I also pay for the text plan ?
Munish59
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: Munish Sharma
ISP Name: Munish Sharma

Postby Jake » 11/28/2019

Munish59 wrote:Hi I am thinking of paying to carry my number to Fongo. With a paid Fongo account will it increase my chances of receiving the Whatsapp verification code? Should I also pay for the text plan ?

This FAQ mentions verifying with Whatsapp.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ifications

From what I read there you might be OK just by buying the text plan, or try the email address at the bottom.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby alexkillby » 04/22/2020

I'm 99% certain Whatsapp allows you to verify with a phone call which WILL work with Fongo. I've never not been able to receive a call because of using Fongo, only certain circumstances (usually shortcodes) with SMS.
alexkillby
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Google Pixel 2 XL
ISP Name: DSL/LTE

Postby Flash » 10/08/2020

FONGO_jeff wrote:
raychanz wrote:This is exactly my question. In my worst case, it seems that I have to port the number back to a real service provider, get the SMS code to verify my number for whatsapp. Should I be responsible for paying fongo again?

We are upfront about the fact that we don't support short codes and verifications codes are hit and miss. We explicitly state that there is no guarantee that WhatsApp or any other service will send your codes via text or call because this is not something we are able to control.

That said, I believe the vast majority of our users are able to activate WhatsApp via text or phone call.

I wouldn't recommend doing what your suggesting because if you port out your number, your account with us is terminated and you will have to start from scratch with a new account and new porting fee.

Finally, what happens if you did actually port out and back in and a couple weeks down the line your phone dies or something and you have to activate WhatsApp again?

Is there no option to make short codes and verifications codes work? Is it just a limitation of VoIP? Or would the costs to make it work be too high for Fongo?
Flash
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Nexus 4
Firmware Version: Android 5.1.1

Postby bridonca » 10/08/2020

Flash wrote:
FONGO_jeff wrote:

Is there no option to make short codes and verifications codes work? Is it just a limitation of VoIP? Or would the costs to make it work be too high for Fongo?

Too much trouble, too much cost, practically no financial benefit for Fongo.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Return to Community Support