Can't Port my Number

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Can't Port my Number

Postby nukesul » 03/27/2019

We have Rogers numbers in the 519 area code and want to port them to Fongo but I get an error message. Why can't some numbers be ported? Is there something I could do with Rogers to allow this to happen? When I contacted Fongo support, they basically said "sorry" but with little explanation. Although not 100% required, it would be far more convenient to keep our old numbers.

Also, I'm trying to understand how much Fongo actually costs. All I want it for is to receive phone calls inside Canada or abroad if necessary, and to be able to send and receive texts, to non-iPhone friends also inside Canada. I have a Mexican number for calling out and all other services. (I'm really just doing this to prevent services being charged to friends who call/text to my Mexican number.)

Thanks
nukesul
Just Passing Thru

Re: Can't Port my Number

Postby Jake » 03/27/2019

These are the areas where Fongo can port in from https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/articles/212437366 If your town is on there you should be able to do it, but if you have already had a reply from support saying no, then that is probably the end of that.

Fongo mobile can be completely free.
It's free to get, free to call most of Canada, free incoming calls, and free incoming texts.

To send text messages you will have to get one of their texting plans. They are super cheap. 6 Months unlimited Canada texting is $9.99. 6 months unlimited Global texting is $14.99.
As I mentioned above, it's free incoming.

You have to have some sort of internet connection of course, which Fongo does not provide on their app (but they have just released a data only service). So you will either need a data plan on your cell or wifi to use Fongo Mobile.

The app is free to download, so you can always load it up with the free number you get and give it a test. If you have been told no by support about porting your number, then you might have to stick with the free one they give you.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby nukesul » 03/28/2019

Thanks for the reply Jake. I was hoping there might be some way to port my number. My specific town name doesn't show up on the list, but one community of the town does. I really don't understand how one part of our town can be ported but not the other part. Oh well.

And thanks for the pricing information. Question. If I am texted while I am travelling, does the person writing the text get charged, or is it more like iMessage or WhatsApp where your location doesn't matter? What about phone calls? Will they get charged long distance if they call my fongo number while I'm in Mexico?
nukesul
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 03/29/2019

Unfortunately it's all down to exchanges and where Fongo has a presence on exchanges. There has to be a cut off somewhere, and it looks like you might have found one :)

Location will not matter. Your account will effectively be fixed to wherever your number is. So if your number is an Ottawa number, that is where it is always to be perceived to be no matter where you are in the world. Think of it as a home phone number, and you have a REALLY long extension cord that can reach all around the world.

They are always looking to expand, so maybe one day your part of town will get covered.
Jake
Technical Support

Return to Community Support