Call Dropping while on Wifi--HELP!

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Call Dropping while on Wifi--HELP!

Postby JMH » 07/23/2022

I'm using an LG Velvet running Andriod 12. All of my phone calls drop whenever I'm using our wifi to make calls. Totally fine on mobile data.

Going through the troubleshooter...

I checked and our router's SIP ALG is already disabled. Do I leave it disabled or should I enable it instead?

If I attempt to set up port forwarding--I've never done this so I have some questions.

Does it matter that we have multiple phones on the network all on Fongo?

We're supposed to set two specific UDP 5060 and 13000, but I can only input ranges for private and public UDPs. So what should I do?

I've attempted to set the ranges for private and the public both as 5060 to 13000, which worked for one IP address, but would not allow me to do the same for another IP address. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for and other suggestion and help. This has been driving me nuts...

Using a Hitron router from Fido.
JMH
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: LG Velvet
Firmware Version: Android 12
ISP Name: Fido, Cable
Computer OS: Win 10
Router: Hitron

Re: Call Dropping while on Wifi--HELP!

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/23/2022

JMH wrote:I'm using an LG Velvet running Andriod 12. All of my phone calls drop

Do the calls drop while they're in progress? After 32 seconds each and every time?
Do they drop at the 15 minute mark? Is there a specific call duration when the calls drop?

Or do you not hear incoming calls ring?

What happens exactly?

whenever I'm using our wifi to make calls. Totally fine on mobile data.

Then it's an issue with your LAN or ISP, and for some people, Rogers/Fido is not back to normal. A few of their customers still are experiencing intermittent problems.You may be one.
Stand next to your Hitron gateway while testing to ensure it's not a Wi-Fi signal strength issue.

"Ping is a measurement of data packet transmission, and ping does affect delay or lag. All gamers know, almost inherently, that lag affects them negatively. A PC gamer will pound his or her keyboard in hope that a character will respond on his or her monitor, quickly, but when there's a delay or lag, reality doesn't meet expectation. A gamer can see this problem visually. Over VoIP, anything over 200-210 ms, you will typically start to encounter crosstalk due to increased delay, even if the untrained ear doesn't notice. All VoIP services are subject to the same scientific principles including the fact that speed of transmission affects delay. When pings (and especially) jitter are high, VoIP can be a pretty horrible experience . . . Anyone using any communication service (or even when playing online games or using other online services) should understand that the longer the path to the server being used, the greater the potential exists for a problem to occur somewhere along that path.

If you ever play an MMO or select an online game server, gamers almost always choose servers that are closest to them for the most responsive online gaming experience, for a very good reason.

Fongo Mobile is in Ontario and uses SIP protocol.
For jitter, ping, and traceroutes, test to 208.85.216.36

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable. You'll begin to encounter crosstalk, even if an untrained ear doesn't notice. So, if you're getting really high pings and jitter, you have a problem.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation.

Bad jitter can produce broken up audio or choppiness during phone calls. Severe jitter/ping spikes can cause calls to drop and for incoming calls to not be received. Ping affects delay from the time someone speaks until the time it's heard."

There are smartphone apps, such as Net Analyzer, that allow users to run ping tests to IPs, which may be a better idea to try since the problem is on a smartphone.

1.Use winmtr https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr//. Ping about 200 times.
When using WINMTR, look at the very last line or hop when checking your pings.

If you're on a Macintosh, maybe this helps: https://www.reddit.com/r/TagPro/comments/2j6qx7/how_to_run_an_mtr_on_mac/

When using WinMTR, look at your average ping and then maximum ping. Although WINMTR doesn't provide a jitter value, you can get an idea of what yours is by subtracting maximum ping from your average.
Jitter is the difference between each successive ping.
The bigger the difference, the bigger the problem.

Same with ping, which represents lag or delay. The lower your ping and jitter, the better."

There are smartphone apps, such as Net Analyzer, that allow users to run ping tests to IPs, which would probably be a better idea since the problem is on a smartphone.

I checked and our router's SIP ALG is already disabled. Do I leave it disabled or should I enable it instead?

Keep SIP ALG disabled.

Do this as well:

2. In Fongo Mobile,
"in the side menu, tap Account
tap Settings
under the Troubleshooting section-->enable Alternate Fongo Connection."
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ngo-Mobile

Also, check to ensure "Allow IPv6 Connection" is enabled. It should be by default.

If I attempt to set up port forwarding

Don't yet until you finish testing completely. Port forwarding is a potential security risk. I would undo whatever port forwarding changes you've made.

It''s possible if the router is becoming confused where to send packets over a specific port (but I'm not positive if that's the case with Hitron gateways).
I haven't tested multiple devices running Fongo Mobile with Hitron gateways because, frankly, ISP issued gateways and hubs aren't ideal for SIP services.
One simple way to test is turn to off all the phones except yours and see if the problem persists.

Another possibility is too many devices/apps are fighting for available bandwidth. See point C from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976.
Unfortunately your Hitron gateway doesn't have a QoS feature.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby JMH » 07/27/2022

Thanks for the reply.

- As we talk to someone on a call it gets dropped in about 15 mins to 1/2 hour, as though we hung up on them.

- We had this issue prior to the latest nationwide internet fiasco.

- The ping result:
Pinging 208.85.216.36 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 208.85.216.36: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=55
Reply from 208.85.216.36: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55
Reply from 208.85.216.36: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 208.85.216.36:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 126ms, Average = 48ms

- Can't find where to ensure we have this enabled: "allow IPv6 Connection"

Liptonbrisk wrote:
JMH wrote:I'm using an LG Velvet running Andriod 12. All of my phone calls drop

Do the calls drop while they're in progress? After 32 seconds each and every time?
Do they drop at the 15 minute mark? Is there a specific call duration when the calls drop?

Or do you not hear incoming calls ring?

What happens exactly?

whenever I'm using our wifi to make calls. Totally fine on mobile data.

Then it's an issue with your LAN or ISP, and for some people, Rogers/Fido is not back to normal. A few of their customers still are experiencing intermittent problems.You may be one.
Stand next to your Hitron gateway while testing to ensure it's not a Wi-Fi signal strength issue.

"Ping is a measurement of data packet transmission, and ping does affect delay or lag. All gamers know, almost inherently, that lag affects them negatively. A PC gamer will pound his or her keyboard in hope that a character will respond on his or her monitor, quickly, but when there's a delay or lag, reality doesn't meet expectation. A gamer can see this problem visually. Over VoIP, anything over 200-210 ms, you will typically start to encounter crosstalk due to increased delay, even if the untrained ear doesn't notice. All VoIP services are subject to the same scientific principles including the fact that speed of transmission affects delay. When pings (and especially) jitter are high, VoIP can be a pretty horrible experience . . . Anyone using any communication service (or even when playing online games or using other online services) should understand that the longer the path to the server being used, the greater the potential exists for a problem to occur somewhere along that path.

If you ever play an MMO or select an online game server, gamers almost always choose servers that are closest to them for the most responsive online gaming experience, for a very good reason.

Fongo Mobile is in Ontario and uses SIP protocol.
For jitter, ping, and traceroutes, test to 208.85.216.36

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable. You'll begin to encounter crosstalk, even if an untrained ear doesn't notice. So, if you're getting really high pings and jitter, you have a problem.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter.
You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation.

Bad jitter can produce broken up audio or choppiness during phone calls. Severe jitter/ping spikes can cause calls to drop and for incoming calls to not be received. Ping affects delay from the time someone speaks until the time it's heard."

There are smartphone apps, such as Net Analyzer, that allow users to run ping tests to IPs, which may be a better idea to try since the problem is on a smartphone.

1.Use winmtr https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr//. Ping about 200 times.
When using WINMTR, look at the very last line or hop when checking your pings.

If you're on a Macintosh, maybe this helps: https://www.reddit.com/r/TagPro/comments/2j6qx7/how_to_run_an_mtr_on_mac/

When using WinMTR, look at your average ping and then maximum ping. Although WINMTR doesn't provide a jitter value, you can get an idea of what yours is by subtracting maximum ping from your average.
Jitter is the difference between each successive ping.
The bigger the difference, the bigger the problem.

Same with ping, which represents lag or delay. The lower your ping and jitter, the better."

There are smartphone apps, such as Net Analyzer, that allow users to run ping tests to IPs, which would probably be a better idea since the problem is on a smartphone.

Keep SIP ALG disabled.

Do this as well:

2. In Fongo Mobile,
"in the side menu, tap Account
tap Settings
under the Troubleshooting section-->enable Alternate Fongo Connection."
https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ngo-Mobile

Also, check to ensure "Allow IPv6 Connection" is enabled. It should be by default.

If I attempt to set up port forwarding

Don't yet until you finish testing completely. Port forwarding is a potential security risk.

It''s possible if the router is becoming confused where to send packets over a specific port (but I'm not positive if that's the case with Hitron gateways).
I haven't tested multiple devices running Fongo Mobile with Hitron gateways because, frankly, ISP issued gateways and hubs aren't ideal for SIP services.
One simple way to test is turn to off all the phones except yours and see if the problem persists.

Another possibility is too many devices/apps are fighting for available bandwidth. See point C from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976.
Unfortunately your Hitron gateway doesn't have a QoS feature.
JMH
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/28/2022

JMH wrote:Thanks for the reply.

- As we talk to someone on a call it gets dropped in about 15 mins to 1/2 hour, as though we hung up on them.

Okay, then the drop is random and not due to SIP ALG or a 15 minute session timer, unless you didn't happen to realize that call drops are happening shortly after the 15 minute mark each and every time.
I'm also very skeptical that port forwarding would accomplish anything other than creating a potential security risk for you.

By the way. one reason I mentioned keeping close to the Hitron modem while making calls is for this reason: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... vice-versa.

Do you happen to notice that the problem is worse during certain times of the day, when more people in your area might be home and online?
I suggest reading pages 42 and 43 from download/file.php?id=2164 (choppy audio section).
Replace "ATA" with "smartphone" in the description. Replace "Freephoneline" with "Fongo Mobile".

- The ping result:
Pinging 208.85.216.36 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 208.85.216.36: bytes=32 time=126ms TTL=55
Reply from 208.85.216.36: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 208.85.216.36:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 126ms, Average = 48ms

4 pings isn't nearly enough. Need closer to 200. There is some jitter occurring between the first and second ping, but four pings isn't nearly enough to see anything.
You appear to be running this ping test from a PC. Is that right? If so, can you please follow the winmtr instructions I provided previously?
Run this test right after a call drops.

- Can't find where to ensure we have this enabled: "allow IPv6 Connection"

Refer to the picture at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ion-Failed. It's the second option listed.
The option might only exist in the iOS app.
Regardless, I'm now very skeptical that setting is related to this problem.

I'm leaning towards an ISP or lack of QoS problem (point C from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976).
Have you called anyone at Fido and asked them to check your modem's signal levels and check for noise in your area?
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby JMH » 09/20/2022

Screenshot_20220920-232249.png
No IPv6 option in settings. Using an Andriod
Screenshot_20220920-232249.png (186.09 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Sorry for delay in reply. Family emergency.
Ping Results.zip
Ping Rseults
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 597 times

Here are a few of the ping results via Net Analyzer attached.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220920-231818.png
Screenshot_20220920-231818.png (268.06 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Screenshot_20220920-231823.png
Screenshot_20220920-231823.png (264.41 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
Screenshot_20220920-231828.png
Screenshot_20220920-231828.png (260.15 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
JMH
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/21/2022

I don’t see ping spikes large enough in your results that would explain call drops.
I suggest running the ping test constantly while you’re on a call (can also try on PC, if you have one on your LAN).
Try to observe whether you see a large ping spike when the call drops.

As we talk to someone on a call it gets dropped in about 15 mins to 1/2 hour, as though we hung up on them.

Does the drop happen right at a 15 minute interval mark (15 minutes or 30 minutes, for example)? Or does it happen after 22 minutes instead (if the drop is happening at anything other than 15 minute intervals, nevermind). If the call drop is always happening at some variation of a 15 minute (15 minutes, 30 minutes) interval, then I suspect the problem involves Fongo’s 15 minute session timer. To confirm, does putting the call on hold (the pause button) and then returning to the call at 13 minute intervals (before 15 minutes) stop the call from dropping? If that works, you'd have to put the caller on hold every 13 minutes (13 minutes, 26 minutes, 39 minutes, etc.). Note that the person on hold will hear music.

Putting the call on hold and then resuming the call will force a Re-INVITE with most SIP apps.

It doesn’t make sense to me that any call would progress past 15 minutes if the session timer is the problem though, unless a NAT hole is closing while a call is in progress. If that’s the case, then port forwarding may help, but port forwarding is a security risk.

You can submit a ticket to see whether support staff has any suggestions: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Mention the brand and model modem/router combo Fido gave you. Also mention that you’ve tried “Alternate Fongo Connection.”
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby bridonca » 09/21/2022

I know people went as far as put the Hitron in bridge mode, and got a proper router to deal with the wifi. You might need the help of Rogers to put the Hitron in bridge mode though. I heard you could update the firmware of the Hitron, but I forget if that worked when it came to Voip issues.

For the record, I have a Velvet 5G, no issues with Fongo. I do not have Rogers in my area, but I have heard horror stories about Hitron.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Liptonbrisk wrote:
Does the drop happen right at a 15 minute interval mark (15 minutes or 30 minutes, for example)? Or does it happen after 22 minutes instead (if the drop is happening at anything other than 15 minute intervals, nevermind). If the call drop is always happening at some variation of a 15 minute (15 minutes, 30 minutes) interval, then I suspect the problem involves Fongo’s 15 minute session timer. To confirm, does putting the call on hold (the pause button) and then returning to the call at 13 minute intervals (before 15 minutes) stop the call from dropping? If that works, you'd have to put the caller on hold every 13 minutes (13 minutes, 26 minutes, 39 minutes, etc.). Note that the person on hold will hear music.

Putting the call on hold and then resuming the call will force a Re-INVITE with most SIP apps.

It doesn’t make sense to me that any call would progress past 15 minutes if the session timer is the problem though, unless a NAT hole is closing while a call is in progress. If that’s the case, then port forwarding may help, but port forwarding is a security risk.

Actually, ignore this if you're using a Hitron 4582U, have disabled SIP ALG in it, and are using "Alternate Fongo Connection" in the Fongo Mobile app.
I've tested the Rogers/Fido Hitron (4582u) white cube modem last year with SIP ALG disabled and had no issues with Fongo Mobile (on an iPhone).
It's not a NAT firewall issue. Nothing was being blocked.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

bridonca wrote:I know people went as far as put the Hitron in bridge mode, and got a proper router to deal with the wifi.

Yes, the problem could definitely be a Wi-Fi issue, but you would see that reflected in the ping/MTR traceroute results on the LG Velvet when packets drop/pings spike (at the time when the call drops).
I don't know whether the posted ping results reflect the moment when the call drops though.

You might need the help of Rogers to put the Hitron in bridge mode though.

Visit https://www.rogers.com/support/internet ... your-modem for instructions.

JMH, please note that if you enable bridge mode without using your own router, devices on your LAN will not be protected by the gateway issued by your ISP. Enabling bridge mode without having an alternative, good NAT firewall available is even worse than port forwarding with respect to security. Also visit viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976.

I heard you could update the firmware of the Hitron

Firmware is pushed to the gateway by Rogers (or the customer needs to contact the ISP to make the request).

but I forget if that worked when it came to Voip issues

I've setup FPL for people who were using Hitron gateways and stubbornly refused to buy a decent router to use instead. I set proxy server to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 (which is similar to "alternate Fongo connection") or disabled SIP ALG, depending on the gateway being used. Calls didn't drop for them while using Fongo Mobile either (but they were all using iPhones, so if there's a Wi-Fi issue involving LG Velvet with Fido/Rogers Hitron Gateways, I know nothing about it). Consequently, I'm skeptical the issue is SIP ALG or NAT related. JMH claims to have disabled SIP ALG and tried "alternate Fongo connection".
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby JMH » 09/26/2022

I didn't know about Fongo's 15 min session timer. Call drops at different times. I can do an hour call with no issue.

Did Ping on a computer. Wifi connection:

I'll see what the Fongo forms say and attempt to get a human to talk to me form Fido.

Liptonbrisk wrote:I don’t see ping spikes large enough in your results that would explain call drops.
I suggest running the ping test constantly while you’re on a call (can also try on PC, if you have one on your LAN).
Try to observe whether you see a large ping spike when the call drops.

As we talk to someone on a call it gets dropped in about 15 mins to 1/2 hour, as though we hung up on them.

You can submit a ticket to see whether support staff has any suggestions: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Mention the brand and model modem/router combo Fido gave you. Also mention that you’ve tried “Alternate Fongo Connection.”
Attachments
PING.jpg
PING.jpg (86.62 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
PING.jpg
PING.jpg (86.62 KiB) Viewed 5065 times
JMH
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/26/2022

JMH wrote:I didn't know about Fongo's 15 min session timer. Call drops at different times. I can do an hour call with no issue.

Then the problem isn't SIP ALG related, and the problem also won't be solved by port forwarding.

Did Ping on a computer. Wifi connection

Getting a ping of 195 at the first hop is pretty terrible and may be indicative of an issue on your LAN (or as bridonca mentioned, a Wi-Fi issue involving the Hitron gateway that Fido gave you), but that's still not high enough to cause a call to drop.
1% packet loss at the first hop shouldn't be happening either, but again, that's usually not enough to make a call drop either.

Do you notice a difference during the time of day?

"Generally speaking it's best to have a decent router for VoIP with strong QoS features.
Stick your ISP's modem in bridge mode, use your own router, and properly enable QoS for your ATA. Refer to your router's manual or contact your ISP if your router was provided by your ISP.

I'm not a big fan of this site, but for a general QoS description, visit http://www.voipmechanic.com/qos-for-voip.htm (avoid anything it says about G729 codec).

When you test below, pick the location that is closest to your VoIP service provider's server location.

1) The typical reaction would be to try enabling QoS properly in your router for your ATA. Refer to your router's manual.

[Whatever device Fido gave you doesn't have QoS features. Read point C from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976. Substitute "LG Velvet" for "ATA" in the description.]

2) Another possibility is you're dealing with congestion during prime time (8p.m. to 11 p.m., especially on Sundays). That's an ISP issue (possibly oversold its service in your area). With Rogers or a cable ISP, you could very well be dealing with local node congestion.

Try running http://vac.visualware.com/ at 8p.m. (especially on a Sunday).

After visiting the link, choose a test location that’s closest to server (Freephoneline’s servers, at this time, are in southern Ontario) you’re using. A MOS score below 4.0 is bad news. It means call quality will not be good. The advanced (+) tab provides interesting info.

If the problem only occurs during prime time (as opposed to very early weekday mornings), then I would probably start thinking your ISP is to blame.

3) Another possibility is that your ISP uses poor routing tables to Freephoneline’s SIP servers. This usually causes pings to increase (not necessarily jitter). Large ISPs typically won’t do anything if you complain. Smaller ones might.

[I don't see an issue in your case.]

But no other devices are being used when I experience choppy audio!
A lot of people say that without realizing other devices and/or programs may actually be using bandwidth in the background. It's really not a good idea, in general, to be using a router that doesn't have a good QoS feature for VoIP.

But if what you claim is really true, then you may be dealing the possibility of congestion during prime time (8p.m. to 11 p.m., especially on Sundays). That's an ISP issue (possibly oversold its service in your area/local node congestion).

Again, if the problem only occurs during prime time (as opposed to weekday mornings) and especially Sunday evenings, then I would probably start thinking your ISP is to blame. Sunday evening is when everyone in your neighbourhood is home."

-- page 42 and 43 from the PDF guide found at the bottom of the first post at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839

attempt to get a human to talk to me form Fido

Ask them to also check your Hitron gateway's signal strength and noise in your area. If possible, ask for a Rogers Tier 2 rep or senior tech. They have access to more diagnostic tools than the first person you'll reach.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support