Fongo being blocked by Fido (tablet data only plan)?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Mobile App? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Mobile Support Knowledge-base for more.

Fongo being blocked by Fido (tablet data only plan)?

Postby Hmm888_8 » 07/24/2022

In my dual SIM iPhone today, I enabled Fido Data. Fido data works just fine otherwise.

When I go and open up the Fongo app, it gave a banner error and said Fongo Connection Failed — Click to retry.

I tried signing out and uninstalling, reinstalling Fongo but when I use Fido's data only it fails. It used to work before. Now it only works with my primary carrier: Shaw and of course, Wi-Fi.
Hmm888_8
Just Passing Thru

Re: Fongo being blocked by Fido (tablet data only plan)?

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/25/2022

Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby Hmm888_8 » 07/25/2022

Seriously, how often are issues resolved with the candid responses?

I already tried basic troubleshooting from the link before posting. This is the last place I want to post because there's very little traffic and support.

Fido, Fongo, or my primary mobile provider is blocking the ports Fongo needs to use. This is also very new as there was no issue before.

My work-around (which drains the battery life from my phone ridiculously fast) is to use a VPN (on my phone). That allows me to access Fongo using mobile data. There are no issues when connected to a Wi-Fi access point..

And yes, I'm in Canada and using Fongo (only) in Canada.
Hmm888_8
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 07/25/2022

Hmm888_8 wrote:Seriously, how often are issues resolved with the candid responses?

Candid responses?
Frankly, quite often.

Oh, did you mean canned responses (which would make a lot more sense) instead, perhaps? I replied quickly at 1:54 a.m. EST before falling asleep. Since I’m not psychic, it’s impossible for me to know what you’ve tried if you didn’t specifically mention the steps you now claim to have taken. If there is a next time, I won’t bother trying to help.

My response was relevant. Not being forced to use UDP 5060 allows people to circumvent SIP ALG. That’s one reason for “alternative Fongo connection”, and if any of the big 3 are blocking Fongo Mobile on purpose (which I doubt), trying alternate DNS resolvers and a different UDP port for SIP signalling makes sense.

Those were first steps. I was going to suggest seeing whether you can reach a Fongo Mobile proxy server at all while connected via Fido and also ask for a traceroute, but nevermind.
I’ll just ignore your posts in the future, unless you continue to be abrasive or break forum rules.

Fido, Fongo, or my primary mobile provider is blocking the ports Fongo needs to use

There used to be an issue with Fido involving IPv6 with Fongo Mobile back in 2019, but you claim to have tried the troubleshooting steps I linked.

There could be an issue involving Fido or your iPhone, but I’m not interested in pursuing these possibilities further with you.

So, Fongo Mobile is possibly blocking ports that it needs to use? Does that make sense to you?

Do you know what ports Fongo uses? Do you know how to test to the server?
If you knew, it seems to me that you would have reported the issue to Fongo support via a ticket since they aren’t obliged to respond on the forums.

And your primary cellular service provider is possibly blocking ports while you’re not using it? That’s quite the trick.

Hmm888_8 wrote: My work-around (which drains the battery life from my phone ridiculously fast) is to use a VPN (on my phone). That allows me to access Fongo using mobile data. .

Oh, you mean, step 4 from the link in my initial "candid" response: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ion-Failed.
VPNs can change the path/route data takes to reach its destination (in addition to other things).

And yes, I'm in Canada and using Fongo (only) in Canada.

Does Fido have a network outside of Canada? No? Then why mention it?
I’m not sure why you think that would even be in question (you would be roaming, making Fido pointless), much less why you think a moderator wouldn’t be able to tell.

Again, nevermind.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support