Will my old number ever be transferable??

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo Home Phone is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Will my old number ever be transferable??

Postby zoldy » 01/02/2013

I have been very frustrated in being able to determine if and when my old phone number will ever be transferable. I called customer service and get no answers. I am sure I am not the only one who's had the same number for 30 years and therefore is still paying there old phone bill just to keep the darn number. Surely you know if and when you might be able to transfer my number and make this information available to your customers. Even if the information is an estimate it is better than I have no which is no idea at all.
zoldy
Just Passing Thru

Re: Will my old number ever be transferable??

Postby Jake » 01/02/2013

Is you current phone number in an area where they currently offer numbers? For example is it a Toronto number?

When you say you get no answer from customer service, do you mean they just cannot tell you, or do you mean that you don't get to speak to anyone?

Maybe it would help if you said what area your number is in.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Funkytown » 01/03/2013

Jake wrote:Is you current phone number in an area where they currently offer numbers? For example is it a Toronto number?

When you say you get no answer from customer service, do you mean they just cannot tell you, or do you mean that you don't get to speak to anyone?

Maybe it would help if you said what area your number is in.

Also it's been the long holidays as things are now slowly picking up and employers are heading back to work, so things might take some extra time for his phone number to transfer.
Funkytown
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Postby seagame2001 » 01/03/2013

you can call CSR and they will tell you that you can port or not
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Postby zoldy » 01/04/2013

Sorry been away for a while. I called support already and was told the number is not currently transferable. The issue I have is will it ever be? It seems my area no one can transfer my number I literally checked with 20 or more VOIP providers. My complaint is if I new it will NEVER be transferable then I would just cancel it. But they all say including fongo check back as we are always expanding. that's great but for me does than mean weeks months or years.

I am sure this is a role out plan or a future expansion plan. I just wish they could tell me something. Like fall of 2013 or whatever.
zoldy
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 01/04/2013

Well, some people have been waiting years to hear that a DID is available in there area without any luck so far. Expansion with Fongo with regards to new areas has been very slow of late. Off the top of my head I think the expansion in the Vancouver area was the last time, and that was quite some time ago now.

My honest opinion is not to hold out much hope for Fongo expanding to your area (it might help if you said what your area was) and we really only get told once the expansion has happened, never before.

Sorry, I can't really give any better news.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby zoldy » 01/04/2013

that just it I am not sure why my area is so remote. Areas surrounding me are covered. I am in Port Dover Ontario if that helps. 519 583 xxxx
zoldy
Just Passing Thru

Postby Jake » 01/04/2013

zoldy wrote:that just it I am not sure why my area is so remote. Areas surrounding me are covered. I am in Port Dover Ontario if that helps. 519 583 xxxx

Well now I can see why you mention this. It's not like you are too far off the beaten track, I thought you were going to say you were going to say you were up in Yukon or something.

I looked at your exchange http://localcallingguide.com/lprefix.php?exch=156890 on the local calling guide, and although it is not a million miles away from things there isn't many places that you can call 'local' by the looks of things. From a business point of view it probably doesn't look too attractive to have a Point Of Presence there. From what I understand companies like Fongo (or rather Fibernetics who is their parent company and the one who buys all their DIDs) have to actually have a POP on that exchange before they can port numbers to it.

Even in Smiths Falls here http://localcallingguide.com/lprefix.php?exch=157570 that exchange seems to cover a lot of area, right up over the water into Quebec by the looks of it. Having a POP on that exchange would obviously be much more beneficial to a company than a POP on your exchange.

I will just say, this is how I have come to understand it, and in no way claim to be an expert on this - so I might be well off base.

I would probably be inclined to say that, although you are close to a major city, it might be a while before VOIP companies can justify the cost of expanding down to your particular exchange. Until they do that I don't think they will be able to port your number in and keep it local to people around you. I keep reading Fongo_Mike saying that they can port it to a different exchange, but that would mean when your neighbour calls your number it will be long distance. :?

I can only suggest for you to set up a Fongo account to enjoy the free calling, but then forward that number to your current number. I know it will mean that you still have to keep Bell, but at least you have a way of getting cheaper calling.

Maybe someone else has other things to say, ones more knowledgeable than me :D
Jake
Technical Support

Postby seagame2001 » 01/04/2013

zoldy wrote:that just it I am not sure why my area is so remote. Areas surrounding me are covered. I am in Port Dover Ontario if that helps. 519 583 xxxx

You need to wait. Remember Fongo is small company compare to Rogers and Bell so they need time to do it
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Return to Suggestions & Feedback