*67 Fongo Home Phone and caller I'd issues

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.

*67 Fongo Home Phone and caller I'd issues

Postby phantomvs » 04/04/2023

Hi

My parents signed up for Fongo home phone.
Just found a couple of bugs in system and wondering if its normal.

First was volume too loud.
So gonna email them if they can lower the tx gain.

Another problem cant seem to do *67
It says not supported? No dial tone after dialing *67.

Next problem is very wierd and biggest issue.

So they get 2 incoming calls from same person within a short span of each other.
The first call it registers name and number in caller I'd.
Around 30 mins later they call back again and on caller I'd it says no data ? No name or number registered.

It happened twice with 2 different people and always within 20 to 35 min span of each repeat call.
The call logs show the different calls and correct times but on call display on phone it says no data ?

Never happened with bell before.
Same phone same caller ids.

Can this be fixed ?
Caller I'd on phone doesnt say 2 calls from same number.
Also its 2 different caller ids and 2 different phones.
So cant be a caller I'd issue.
Gotta be a fongo home phone adapter setting maybe ?

Just wanna be sure before I email them the list of issues they are experiencing.

Just dont want my parents to regret going with fongo.
I was the one who recommend them after having freephoneline for years trouble free.

Thanks
phantomvs
Just Passing Thru

ISP Name: videotron cable
Computer OS: win7
Router: videotron router

Re: *67 Fongo Home Phone and caller I'd issues

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/04/2023

Because Fongo doesn't publish a way for customers to log into the ATA and change settings themselves, many technical support issues require the user to submit tickets. I would have submitted one already for the volume problem.

*67 is an advertised feature: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... Home-Phone. You're supposed to dial *67 followed by the number.
You don't pause and wait for a dial tone. If that doesn't work, you will need to submit a ticket.

"Example:

If you're calling 519-336-1437, you should dial *67-519-336-1437"

You didn't mention what brand and model phones are being used. Please ensure that information is being sent in your ticket. I feel trying to troubleshoot this stuff is pointless because you can't access ATA settings anyway. If these are DECT wireless phones check to see whether the phone base shows the missing information as opposed to phone handsets elsewhere. Anyway, you're supposed to try unplugging the HT-801 for 30 seconds: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... Home-Phone.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby phantomvs » 04/05/2023

Hi Liptonbrisk,

Thanks again for your help.
Just letting other members know in case they have similar issues.

It's just abit frustrating for me. It's like they dont check some obvious stuff before sending these ata out in the mail.

The volume thing I will send the email.
On phones where volume is adjustable it's not a major issue. But on phones where you cant control the volume it is. Plus it seems a common problem according to this forum anyway.

For the *69 I read the faqs all of them and saw that.
I also did the reset as suggested, no difference.

Problem for my mom is she cant do any other digits after dialing *67. A recorded message comes on saying not supported. Wont let you dial more numbers.

For the caller I'd, one telephone is a uniden 1360bk wired phone with built in caller I'd. The other is just a simple at&t external caller I'd box which isn't even plugged to a phone. Just plugged to house jack. The cordless phone she uses is a Panasonic non dect with no caller I'd on it.
All of this setup is exactly the same as what she had with bell pots. No changes were done except obviously disconnecting bell from the house lines at the demarcation point. The rest all works as it should including caller I'd, it just the short span between calls doesnt register.

With bell before repeat calls would just have the number 2 next to name and number to indicate multiple calls from same number.

Like I said what's wierd is it all shows up properly on call log when signing in on account. No issues there. Just on the 2 caller ids if repeat calls are within a short span of each other it will say no data.

I also had an issue with outgoing name on caller I'd which after an email to fongo they fixed it. They require the mac number of ata to make changes.I typed doing it myself when logging but it would accept changes. It requires minimum 2 characters for first name and my mom only wanted her first letter. Fongo took care of that so happy about that being fixed. Just feel bad sending tons of email for little issues.
Also did a reboot, no difference.

Can it be a internet issue ? Running 60mbs and 10 upload.
Still gotta turn off the sip alg. It's one of those all in one router modems from fizz. Plus no high usage of internet. Its barely used there. No fax, nothing plugged in but phones.

According to google no data is like information is lost in transmission.

I know it's useless as i can't change any of the other settings myself.
Just expecting more for a paid service. Wondering if I was better just getting her freephoneline.
Or this is the way it goes and these require multiple emails to personalize it to each clients needs.

Now if I cancel fongo home phone and go with freephoneline I would have to port out number again and there are more fees.

Dont mind the 5$ a month just wish something's would be easier to fix. Like Maybe better software .
phantomvs
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/05/2023

phantomvs wrote:
Problem for my mom is she cant do any other digits after dialing *67. A recorded message comes on saying not supported. Wont let you dial more numbers.

I may not have been clear, but a Panasonic cordless DECT phone for example, you're supposed to dial *675191234567 and then press the talk button. If that doesn't work, you will need to submit a ticket.

For clarity, you're not supposed to dial *67, pause, and then dial the number.

*67 is an advertised feature with Fongo Home phone: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... Home-Phone.

Freephoneline doesn't officially support *67, by the way (unless you get special permission). It won't work properly.

For the caller I'd, one telephone is a uniden 1360bk wired phone

Which is plugged directly into the back of the Grandstream ATA?

If everything works when plugged directly into the back of the ATA instead of a wall jack, then the issue involves house wiring/electricity or the REN 5 limit on the HT-801, unfortunately.
I would try testing each phone/device, one by one, plugged directly into the back of the ATA.
If you can reproduce the problem that way, then you will need to submit a ticket.

I'm doubtful that Fongo Home Phone is going to provide technical support for issues related to house wiring or REN limits.

Visit http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 58&p=73292.

"Maximimum Phone Units

The capacity of the HT701 [And HT-801] ATA is 5 REN. REN stands for "ringer equivalence number" and is a measure of a telephone ringer's electrical load. The REN value is generally printed on the back or bottom of each phone. If your phone does not require AC power, the REN will probably be relatively high, perhaps around 1.0. You can use up to five phones with a REN of 1.0, with a HT701 [And HT-801] ATA.

Cordless phones, and corded phones which plug in to AC power, typically have a much lower REN, perhaps around 0.1.

The sum of the REN values for the phones used with your Fongo Home Phone service must be less than 5."

No changes were done except obviously disconnecting bell from the house lines at the demarcation point.

That's good. Otherwise, I would understand why CID is unreliable, and you would also risk frying the ATA. I hope that was done properly.

Visit http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 58&p=73292.

"It is possible to plug your Fongo Home Phone Adapter into one phone jack and have it supply the rest of the phone jacks in your home with your Fongo Home Phone service. You must first find the 'demarcation point', which is the point at which your former phone company's wires enter your home. This is often located in your basement or garage, or on the side of your house. When you find the demarc, you need to disconnect your former phone company's line. The phone line could damage your Fongo Home Phone Adapter, even if you don't hear a dial tone on it.

Phone jacks are wired in parallel, so you can plug your Fongo Home Phone Adapter into any jack, or wire it in to the demarc, in order to supply all your phone jacks with your Fongo Home Phone service.

If you use ADSL, the wiring becomes slightly more complicated, but only slightly. You cannot use the same pair of wires for Fongo Home Phone as you do for ADSL, even if you use a filter. Most homes have at least two pairs of wires running to each phone jack. Simply use one pair for ADSL and one pair for Fongo Home Phone. Alternately, run a new "unshielded twisted pair" cable (such as CAT5e) from your demarc to your ADSL modem.

A simple alternative may be to purchase a good quality cordless phone set and plug your Fongo Home Phone Adapter into the phone's base station."

I typed doing it myself when logging but it would accept changes.

Wait. You logged into the ATA and were able to make changes?

Or did you mean "wouldn't accept changes"? Not accepting changes makes sense due to the provisioning link that ties the ATA to Fongo's provisioning server.

Just feel bad sending tons of email for little issues.

You have no choice if the user can't make setting changes that persist after the ATA reboots. That's not your fault, and you are paying for monthly fees that are supposed to include technical support.

Can it be a internet issue ?

No.

Still gotta turn off the sip alg. It's one of those all in one router modems from fizz.

Is it a Hitron CODA-4680? Please let me know. I think I'll add this information to stickied posts in the Freephoneline forum:

1) Try logging in at192.168.0.1.
2) Navigate to Basic Settings -->Gateway Function tab
3) Disable SIP ALG
4) Save Changes.

I know it's useless as i can't change any of the other settings myself.
Just expecting more for a paid service. Wondering if I was better just getting her freephoneline.

Well, there's no technical support at all when using FPL, and free calling to the U.S. isn't included with FPL, unlike Fongo Home Phone.

I prefer Freephoneline because I know what I'm doing with my device(s) and app(s) settings, and I would not enjoy being blocked from making my own changes (nor allowing a service provider to do so without my express permission). However, I think for newcomers to SIP services, Fongo Home Phone is a better choice. Each person is different.

Or this is the way it goes and these require multiple emails

For Fongo Home Phone, yes. Theoretically, once everything is set the way you like it, emails shouldn't be necessary with the exception of service outages or problems on their end.

This caller ID issue would likely occur when using the same Grandstream ATA (and others) regardless of whether you're using FPL.

Now if I cancel fongo home phone and go with freephoneline I would have to port out number again and there are more fees.

Yes, and I'm skeptical that switching to Freephoneline is going to fix your CID problem.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby phantomvs » 04/05/2023

Liptonbrisk thanks again for taking your time to help me.
Much appreciated. I think this forum wouldn't exist without you.

I will be going to my parents house this weekend and will see more for myself. For now all I know is what my mom tells me.

From what she tells me is that she cant do *675191234567. It's like it cuts you off after *67 and an automated message comes in. She says she doesnt pause does it all 1 shot, but it won't let her.

There is a total of 2 wired phones and 1 cordless plugged into the jacks. Way below the 5 ren.

I will try to plug it directly behind the ata when I go over.

As for the demarcation point , i did the same thing i did for my fpl. I think i did it properly but now after talking to you I am starting to doubt myself. Will double check when I go over. Pretty sure it's ok. Was just 2 wires I disconnected from incoming bell line. Internet is cable so no adsl.

Also no I didnt log into the ata. Will try when I go over but I think its locked like you said. What I meant to say is when I was setting it up and trying to change the outgoing name on CID I was unable to make changes. After an email to Fongo it was fixed. They asked me for account number and mac number of grandstream to do it .

Yes the modem/router combo is
Hitron CODA-4680
I will disable the sip alg when I go over.

I think if I can fix it , if on my side or fongo can fix the cid issue , she will be happy. Its sucks cause sometimes if I had access would make troubleshooting easier.

My mom is also telling me she hears echos or voices on the line . She is using the cordless phone so that can be the issue. It's a really old panasonic cordless phone.

Thanks again
phantomvs
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/05/2023

Other mods have helped out on these forums for a long time before I became a mod, and some of them help me with really annoying situations that I usually don’t like to deal with. So, I appreciate their support.

The *67 issue can only be fixed by Fongo support staff then.

Visit https://www.voipmyhouse.com/#thesolution
I'm not an expert with telephone wiring configurations at demarc points, so I'm probably not going to be able to help. I’ve disconnected Telco lines from the demarc before, but I’m not an expert with wiring from poles or underground.
Regardless, if you find that CID works properly when you connect (test each device separately) each device directly into the back of the ATA, then you can narrow down where the problem is.
Unfortunately, you may find you need something like this, instead of connecting the ATA to a wall jack: https://www.costco.ca/panasonic%c2%ae-k ... 95249.html. You would then need to distribute wireless handsets around the house.
You don't need to buy from Costco or buy Panasonic, of course. I'm just showing an example.

The echo may also be due to TX gain being too high for the telephone being used. Again, support ticket is needed.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby phantomvs » 04/08/2023

Ok so update .....

Finally had a chance to go over to my moms and check fongo home phone out. I fixed most issues.

There dial tone was stuttering. They had a message so easy fix for me. Was bugging my mom.

Checked again if I disconnected bell pots correctly as last time I went over to do that it was heavy rain. Checked and all is well. A ok there.

So for sip alg , it's already disabled. As I logged into router/modem combo to check it was already disabled.

For *69, it works.
You were right Liptonbrisk, my mom was waiting for dial tone. Apparently with bell pots, its dial tone *69 then dial tone then number. So no issues there. When she does *69 it says anyonmus with no name and number. On my freephoneline *67 blocks my name but shows number which i believe is normal for fpl.

For cid issue, I couldn't reproduce the same no data error.
What I did notice but it's a uniden issue where if multiple calls come in from same number it doesn't say repeat or list all calls from that number, just latest call time from that number. So you dont know how many times that person called.
Unlike Panasonic cordless that lists all multiple calls by time if same number.

As for cid no data cant seem to reproduce that.
I tryed but didnt seem to give it to me. So not sure what's up with that.

We ordered a new cordless Panasonic set. 1 corded with 2 cordless to replace old phones.
Waiting for that to arrive to replace old cordless phones. Then we will see and that might fix the high volume also as with old set cant lower volume.

Also I noticed my moms old panasonic cordless which is only 1 cordless phone on a base unit has a ren value of 3.
I find it very high for a cordless phone. It's like 20 years old.
Plus she had 3 other corded phones plugged in . 2 say ren value of 0.97, the other says none. So I removed 1 of the older phones. Could that be the no data issue ?
They were all working fine , and rang fine. No issues there.
But was over the 5 Ren limit.

So no fongo issues, would recommend as it's been solid so far.

More of a learning curve for my parents.
phantomvs
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/08/2023

phantomvs wrote:For *69, it works.

You were right Liptonbrisk, my mom was waiting for dial tone.

Okay, that makes sense then.

Apparently with bell pots, its dial tone *69 then dial tone then number.

Yes

On my freephoneline *67 blocks my name but shows number which i believe is normal for fpl.

*67 isn't officially supported by FPL, so you're relying to the ATA to do it.

1) You can send *67 through the service provider, who then either accepts the star code or doesn't do anything. FPL, by default, doesn't do anything. At least that was the case the last time I tested.

2) You can have *67 processed by your ATA, which sends an anonymous call flag in the SIP header along the path to the receiving carrier that, in turn, has to recognize and agree to not show CID. *67 (outgoing CID block). Calls to Telus mobile numbers worked when *67 is processed by Obihai ATAs immediately after server migration. No CID info appeared on the receiving end. I'm not sure if *67 still works (I'm too busy to test this). But I know it did work for Obihai ATAs immediately after server migration because I tested by dialing Telus Mobility numbers.

In this case you're doing #2. When *67 is parsed by an ATA or IP Phone, my FPL number constantly appears when calling Fongo Mobile numbers. But it's blocked when calling regular Telus mobile numbers, for example. Telus Mobility acknowledges the CID block flag and complies. Fongo Mobile doesn't. For whatever reason *67 seems to work with Obihai ATAs and IP Phones, at least when calling non-VoIP numbers.

If my FPL account accepted the *67 code (when sending *67 through FPL and not having the star code processed by my ATA instead) and agreed to block outgoing CID, my FPL number would not appear when calling Fongo Mobile numbers. Refer to point #1.

FPL doesn't support *67 (anonymous call blocking), officially, at the provider level.

Could that be the no data issue ? . .. But was over the 5 Ren limit.

It's possible. CallerID is sent between the first and second ring. I have seen voltage issues cause problems. REN means ringer equivalence number. The ATA supports up to 5 REN. If you go over that phones may not ring properly. Do not go over 5 REN, and just because a phone doesn't show a REN number that doesn't mean the REN value is 0.

It's pretty easy to test by unplugging everything expect for the phone that was exhibiting problems.
Also test with that that phone plugged directly into the back of the ATA.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby phantomvs » 04/11/2023

Oups must of typed to fast.
Yes I meant *67, no issues there.

Well the old cordless panasonic phone non dect that has the ren value of 3 now unplugged. Plus I unplugged another phone that has no ren number listed on bottom.

She is waiting on amazon for a new panasonic cordless set. Basically 1 corded and 2 cordless.
When that arrives going to see the ren number and try tòo stay at 4 ren max. So we should be good in that regard.
When I was over I did plug just the uniden phone in the ata and couldn't reproduce the no data on the cid.Then slowly added the rest and nothing either. So not sure what caused the no data on cid. Since the rest of her phones dont have cid except the uniden I am guessing maybe a uniden thing.

Unless too many phones. But even then should of been at 5 or max 6 ren as she had it with all her phones plugged in. Maybe an internet glitch gave her no data.

Before emailing fongo for the tx gain , I will check the volume when new phone arrives and see if she will be able to lower volume with the new handsets.

Thank you again for helping me Liptonbrisk.
I appreciate your help.

Btw she just got an email for her credit of 3 free months.
Signed up during the march madness sale.
With her unlimited usa calling she's happy now.
Yay
phantomvs
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/11/2023

phantomvs wrote:When that arrives going to see the ren number and try tòo stay at 4 ren max. So we should be good in that regard.

Good

But even then should of been at 5 or max 6 ren

phantomvs wrote:Also I noticed my moms old panasonic cordless which is only 1 cordless phone on a base unit has a ren value of 3.

Plus she had 3 other corded phones plugged in . 2 say ren value of 0.97, the other says none

The REN value is likely over 5 or, less likely, very close to it. Intermittent problems can occur from getting too close to the REN limit.

Maybe an internet glitch gave her no data.

I strongly believe that's highly unlikely. Fongo shows the number in its call logs, and the call worked.

It's far more likely to be a voltage related issue, especially if the REN value is anywhere near 5 or over it.
There’s a finite amount of power available on a phone line.

Thank you again for helping me Liptonbrisk.
I appreciate your help.

You're very welcome.

she's happy now.

In the end, I find, that's what matters most.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support