Time Capsule + VoIP

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
rickside
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: Mac OS X 10.8.2
Router: Time Capsule 1TB

Time Capsule + VoIP

Post by rickside »

Hi all! I am planing to switch to FPL pretty soon. I would like to use my personnal PAP2T-NA or to buy the ATA FPL is selling. Howerver, since my main router is a Time Capsule and, knowing that I cannot use QoS on my Time Capsule, will it still work or do I really need to use a router that implements QoS? Does someone already used the ATA model FPL is selling with a TIme Capsule and if yes, is working fine? Do you know if it'll work fine with my PAP2T-NA? Thanks.
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Re: Time Capsule + VoIP

Post by 46jimbo »

The only time you will have a QoS issue is when you are downloading something like a torrent. In this case, just pause the torrent when using the phone. Or do the download late at night while you are in bed. So unless there is a lot of downloading or streaming going on in your house, it's really a minor issue that you can work around.
rickside
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: Mac OS X 10.8.2
Router: Time Capsule 1TB

Re: Time Capsule + VoIP

Post by rickside »

Thanks @46jimbo for your answer.

Howerver (I should have mentionned it in my first post), I do download and upload a lot of data during day and night. So yes, I think it will become a problem pretty fast if I don't have QoS implemented on my router.

The solution I have think about would be to buy a router that has QoS options on it, put my TC in bridge mode and finally plug the ATA into the new router.

It would like this: Modem ---> New router WAN Port (w/ QoS) ---> TC --> Wireless and wired clients
New Router LAN port (w/ QoS) ---> ATA ---> phone

The TC would then become an Access-Point with backup capabilities and the new router would become the primary gateway for the internet.

Do you think this setup would work?

Thanks.