Beeping sound while talking

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
Privatepilot
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT701
ISP Name: Bell Fibe
Computer OS: Windows
Router: Home Hub 2000

Beeping sound while talking

Post by Privatepilot »

Frequently when i am talking to people while on the phone i can here a beep on the line as if a number button was pushed in error. Sometimes i can hear it, other times the person i am calling can hear it. Don't know what is causing this issue but it can be annoying for both parties. Any ideas how to fix this line quality issue
davecool
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: HT701
Firmware Version: 1.0.3.1
ISP Name: TekSavvy
Computer OS: Mac OS X 10.8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Re: Beeping sound while talking

Post by davecool »

This happens when we make calls as well.
beverly
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: PAP2T/SPA1001
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)/3.1.19(SE)
ISP Name: TekSavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 8
Smartphone Model: HTC Amaze 4G
Android Version: 4.0.3 - Energy Aug 6th

Post by beverly »

I have this also
Privatepilot
Quiet One

Post by Privatepilot »

Still happens sporadically
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I also get beeping when I call a couple of numbers in particular(both PSTN) and I am not even using FPL. Calling other number is usually OK. I have no idea what causes it but since the connection is not broken it has not really bothered me.
Privatepilot
Quiet One

Post by Privatepilot »

I used to get it years ago when I had Primus Talk Broadband. It must be a VOIP thing. However it appens more with Fongo than I rember it did with Primus
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

You all might need to reconfigure your ATA device box correctly and your beeping should stop.
Privatepilot
Quiet One

Post by Privatepilot »

Thanks Funkytown. I hear ya!

However, how much configuring are we supposed to do? Seems like a new issues pops up daily and reconfiguring is needed. Should the customer be doing this that is paying for a service or should Fongo? I am confused.... really am? All I want is a properly configured ATA, so why can;t FOngo then send me one.

Regarding some of your previous posts, if the ATA's are plug and play and should work out of the box, why all of the reconfiguring is needed? Also maybe it is my cogecto internet causing the problems...

I do appreciate your help

BTW, the update today is that the phone made a button beep sound to someone I was talking to as they heard it and not me. Also update with my voicemail is that *98 now works and it says I have one new voicemail when I dial in, but now the ATA is not transmitting a blip-pulse so the dialtone is solid and thus my phone doesn;t say one new voicemail.... no condidtency whatsoever
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

Privatepilot wrote:Thanks Funkytown. I hear ya!

However, how much configuring are we supposed to do? Seems like a new issues pops up daily and reconfiguring is needed. Should the customer be doing this that is paying for a service or should Fongo? I am confused.... really am? All I want is a properly configured ATA, so why can;t FOngo then send me one.

Regarding some of your previous posts, if the ATA's are plug and play and should work out of the box, why all of the reconfiguring is needed? Also maybe it is my cogecto internet causing the problems...

I do appreciate your help

BTW, the update today is that the phone made a button beep sound to someone I was talking to as they heard it and not me. Also update with my voicemail is that *98 now works and it says I have one new voicemail when I dial in, but now the ATA is not transmitting a blip-pulse so the dialtone is solid and thus my phone doesn;t say one new voicemail.... no condidtency whatsoever
I do understand the frustrations! If you configured your ATA SIP device correctly and properly the first time you will never have to reset it again or worry. If you continue to constantly restart everything and nothing seems to work out, then it's earthier ...
A.modem
B.Wireless Router
C.internet provider
Privatepilot
Quiet One

Post by Privatepilot »

Funkytown.... agreed!

How am I to know if it is properly configured. Everything and all configs are what tech support has done to my ATA over the phone. Shouldn't it be set properly since I am with the subscription phone service and they sent me the box already set. As I stated before, any changes I have ever done is with Fongo on the phone telling me what to do. This may sound naive, but wouldn't they be telling me to do the correct things?

As always, thanks
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

Privatepilot wrote:Funkytown.... agreed!

How am I to know if it is properly configured. Everything and all configs are what tech support has done to my ATA over the phone. Shouldn't it be set properly since I am with the subscription phone service and they sent me the box already set. As I stated before, any changes I have ever done is with Fongo on the phone telling me what to do. This may sound naive, but wouldn't they be telling me to do the correct things?

As always, thanks

No problem, your Sip Device should be already properly configured if it was sent directly from Fongo Head Quarters!

Most likely it is either your modem/router/ISP which is the culprit to the constant downtown, disconnecting etc....
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

It's a common problem with ATA's, it's called talk-off. The ATA interprets higher pitched voices as DTMF signalling so it then passes the corresponding DTMF digit. Fun eh?

From here http://www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration:

"To solve you hearing sounds as if the other party had pressed a digit, try to set DTMF Process INFO and DTMF Process AVT to No. If you require remote access to a physical answering machine, be sure to test this after making these changes.

To solve the other party hearing sounds as if you had pressed a digit, set DTMF Tx Method to InBand. You may also need to set this on your VoIP provider's control panel."

For Grandstream owners, you'll need to look for similar settings in your ATA's. I myself use Asterisk and IP Phones, so I don't experience these issues.
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

So, I was on the phone last night with Rogers wireless support, and everytime the breakout message on their MOH would play, I'd hear 2 instances of talk off. This was the first time I've ever encountered it myself. I was using my Mitel phone, of course through my Asterisk server. Was cool to hear, and it happened everytime the breakout message played. I wasn't on my FPL trunk at the time though, I was using my Voip.MS account.
Privatepilot
Quiet One

Post by Privatepilot »

I haven't made any configuration changes to my ATA box yet, hoping that the random dtmf tone sounds would go away. I have been wrong. They continue now on average once every 3 minutes I would say when I am talking to a female. I hear the beeps if i call my wife at home, and i also hear them if i am at home and call her on her cell. Very rarely do any beeps occur when i am talking to another male

I will hold off on making the config changes until next week. I am switching from Cogeco Internet to Bell Fibe this Saturday. I dont think this will help the "talk off" issue, but you never know. If the beeps continue, i will have to try this in band config change.
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

Privatepilot wrote:I haven't made any configuration changes to my ATA box yet, hoping that the random dtmf tone sounds would go away. I have been wrong. They continue now on average once every 3 minutes I would say when I am talking to a female. I hear the beeps if i call my wife at home, and i also hear them if i am at home and call her on her cell. Very rarely do any beeps occur when i am talking to another male

I will hold off on making the config changes until next week. I am switching from Cogeco Internet to Bell Fibe this Saturday. I dont think this will help the "talk off" issue, but you never know. If the beeps continue, i will have to try this in band config change.
I'm sorry that I haven't really explained much in detail how to get rid of that beeping sound. Maybe the ATA voip device firmware is not up to date. Let's say it's the issue, then I suggest you to think before doing this firmware update because you could end up loosing the warranty on your ATA Voip device without permission from the provider. Please check with the Freephonline customer support regarding what I'm saying if this is where you purchased it from. If it`s not a Firmware issue(mostly is) then you we may have to consider Freephonline to do test on there part with there own Voip devices. ;)
Privatepilot
Quiet One

Post by Privatepilot »

Thanks Funkytown. Yes agreed, I will not make the changes to my devise unless I am directed to do so from Fongo. I believe I do have the most up to date firmware as Fongo provided it to me for an update a month ago to fix a caller ID issue. The "talk-off" issue also existed before the firmware update so I suspect it is not that. Any and all changes I have ever made to my Fongo purchased devise have always been changes they have suggested I do.

I have been in email communication with Fongo and they are also being of assistance on this issue. Hopefully, we can come to a solution with it, or minimize the issue, with some config changes if that is what it comes to with their guidance.

I would ask that if anyone else has this issue and has been able to minimize the "talk-off" dtmf sounds, please share how this was done and I will work it through with Fongo.

Thanks again
Funkytown
Technical Support

Post by Funkytown »

More suggestions here ...

I recommend that you try and set in your Voip device the dtmf to rfc2833 for your line that is currently in use, we will see if this gets rid of that intermittent beeping problem your expericing?

Or perhaps *just maybe* it can even be the specific phone your using?

I'm just trying to help narrow down the beeping problem.
newinvestor23
Just Passing Thru

Post by newinvestor23 »

I am getting this recently as well. Sometimes I will get this and the call will drop. I am using Obi 200 with freephoneline, its the only service on the Obi 200. Would the best way to fix this then be, Service Providers> ITSP Profile A> General> DTMFMethod (Value is now "Auto", should I change it to "RFC2833", there is also SIPInfo+RFC2833)?
Would that be the best setting to test? I do not have to remote connect to physical answering machine or anything.
Thanks