Technology-challenged - can we use Fongo?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
spragur
One Hit Wonder
SIP Device Name: computer
ISP Name: No Clue
Computer OS: Windows
Router: Rogers Wireless

Technology-challenged - can we use Fongo?

Post by spragur »

Hi. My husband is working in the Middle East and has a Blackberry. Internet service is extremely poor which makes Skyping difficult. If he had a data plan on his Blackberry, and he hooked up to Fongo, could he use it to phone Canada? If so, do I read correctly that it would be free for him to call me, and 37 cents a minute for me to call him?

Thanks. Sorry to be so "unsavvy".
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Technology-challenged - can we use Fongo?

Post by Jake »

Fongo uses the internet either via WIFI or 3G. If he is having trouble with Skype, then the Fongo app might struggle also. The good thing is that it will be free to try.

When he installs the app on his phone, he will be given a Canadian Number. You are correct that when he calls Canada via the app his calls will be free (as long as the number he is calling in the in free calling areas). Your calls to him will depend on how much it costs to call the Canadian number he was given on his app. For example, if you live in Toronto and he chose a Toronto number - the chances are the call will be free for you. If he chose an Vancouver number and you live in Ottawa - then it is probably going to be a long distance number. One thing to keep in mind is, although he is in the Middle East - you are going to be calling a Canadian number so in effect you are not really calling the Middle East but Canada. Because the app uses the internet, where your husband is does not make a difference; as far as the call is concerned he is in Canada wherever he chose his number.

If you also sign up for a Fongo account, then the calls will always be free between the two Fongo numbers no matter where you are or where he is in the world. If you also load the Fongo app on your phone you will have free texting between the two accounts also.

As I said, the good thing is all it will cost you is probably just a bit of time. The Fongo app is free to download so just give it a go. The only roadblock he might find is that he is unable to download the app from over there - so you might have to find a work around. Again, the thing to do is to give it a go and see.
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Post by 46jimbo »

First of all, he might try Skype with the video turned off. This will use a lot less bandwith.

Is there a Skype app for his Blackberry? If so, can he test it? Perhaps this might help: http://beta.skype.com/en/features/#skype-to-go-number

Otherwise, I don't believe there is a Fongo app for Blackberry.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

46jimbo wrote: Otherwise, I don't believe there is a Fongo app for Blackberry.
There is, through DellVoice http://www.dellvoice.ca/

They brought it out a little while ago now, although some have said they have problems with it.