Not working on Bell fibre

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Home Phone service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The Fongo Home Phone Support Knowledge-base for more.
navinmehta
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Sympatico
Computer OS: XP Prof

Not working on Bell fibre

Post by navinmehta »

I have had a Freephoneline service for 2-3 years, and it worked fine on Bell regular 6mbps service.
The Grandstream Handy tone device was supplied by Freephoneline, pre-installed.
A couple of weeks ago I moved house and went to live with my daughter. She has rogers Service, and the phone worked fine as soon as i plugged in.
Then I ordered and Bell installed the 25/10 fibre. I disconnected everything from Rogers and connected to Bell.
This Bell connection comes in into the basement. From there I have a Trendnet Powerline connectors to bring it upstairs and I plugged in my Belkin router which has worked fine for two years.
Two computers are connected to the Belkin, and work fine and show a speed on 25mbps in and 10 mbps out.
The Belkin is set to 192.168.1.1
The Rogers is set up 192.168.2.1
Bell is set to 192.168.0.1
So there is no conflict.
Belkin is also set to dish out IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.32 to 48
I can get into Belkin and can see my two computers properly attached at 192.168.1.33 and 192.168.1.34
When I look for 192.168.1.32 in a separate instance of Firefox, I can see the Grandsteam sign on and can sign in.

With this new Bell connection I can dial out, and the person at the other end can hear the ring, but I do not know that the dial has been successful. Whatever the receiver says, I cannot hear. Whatever I say, he cannot hear. The Grandstream light is red.
When I receive a call, my phone rings, but that's it -No voice communication at all.
After this experiment, I disconnected the Grandstream for Bell and connected to Rogers Modem, and everything is fine.

I do not know if the problem is in the Bell service.... it can;t be because the two computers are working fine on the Internet.
Is the problem in the Trendnet Powerline? Again the two computers are working, the powerline light is green or red (very good to good).
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Not working on Bell fibre

Post by Jake »

I don't think it is Bell. My guess is the other bits you have on the Network.

My advise would be to strip it all down and start basic. Is it possible to plug the ATA straight into the Bell modem (router?) and see if that works. If it does, then connect the Powerline connectors and test again.

If the Bell modem is a router, then I would put the Belkin in a repeater mode rather than as another router - that will just mess things up more than it needs to.
Privatepilot
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT701
ISP Name: Bell Fibe
Computer OS: Windows
Router: Home Hub 2000

Post by Privatepilot »

I tried my Fongo home phone ATA at my brothers who has bell fibe 25/10 and it worked perfectly. Plugged it right into back of bell wirelrss router modem
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I have no experience of Powerline connectors but I have seen some comments where it seems that they have given problems. Yes, a good thing to do would the to take the Powerline connectors out of the equation and try to connect without them. Voip/SIP needs a good connection as it does not buffer/error check in the way many devices do and if sound packets are getting dropped by the Powerline connectors it could make voip impossible.
navinmehta
Just Passing Thru

Post by navinmehta »

I will test direct as suggested. However, There is just no sound. The telephone rings nice and not sound after that.
I have a cable coming from rogers main router to the Belkin and it works fine with all the three devices (two computers and one phone).
I unplug it and put in the cable from powerline adpator in its place, and the computers still work fine, but no phone!

I will report again after trying out various things.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

navinmehta wrote:I will test direct as suggested. However, There is just no sound. The telephone rings nice and not sound after that.
I have a cable coming from rogers main router to the Belkin and it works fine with all the three devices (two computers and one phone).
I unplug it and put in the cable from powerline adpator in its place, and the computers still work fine, but no phone!

I will report again after trying out various things.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Can you get to the status page of your ATA? Hide any information you consider sensitive. Does one of the powerline devices act as a router making you double NATted?
navinmehta
Just Passing Thru

Post by navinmehta »

I have a long medical appointment today so I have not started testing.
I will be able to report tomorrow.
Thanks for the support