Update on the Freephoneline server issue Dec 26th, 2012

Important and exciting updates from Fongo!

Update on the Freephoneline server issue Dec 26th, 2012

Postby FONGO_Announcements » 12/26/2012

A sincere thank you to all of you for your patience over these past few days. We truly appreciate those who have posted on the forum, especially over the holidays, as you've helped us isolate and work through the issue.

We noticed our server performance was decreasing in an abnormal fashion (specifically the servers that handle Freephoneline) and determined this was the result of 3rd party misconfigured ATAs and other network/system factors. The decreased performance may have resulted in connectivity/calling issues for some users.

We've made changes at the server level and we don't expect customers to be experiencing any further issues. If you're using a 3rd party ATA, please check the Forum for additional support regarding the configuration of these devices. The majority of the configuration settings posted on the Forum have been added by our customers (and we encourage those of you who have properly configured ATAs to please post your settings) so we cannot guarantee that these settings are accurate. We will be reviewing and posting guidelines for the most common ATAs in the New Year.

While we don't officially provide tech support for third party ATAs, and it's very challenging to provide support on what amounts to an infinite number of device and configuration options, we are doing our best to try to help all customers.

Again, thank you for your patience and for choosing Fongo.

Dave Bullock, President
Fongo Inc.
FONGO_Announcements
Site Moderator

Re: Update on the Freephoneline server issue Dec 26th, 2012

Postby vostro » 12/26/2012

just noticed two of three of my FPL were disconnected on 10pm today and it can't get reconnected until rebooting the SPA2102. it seems the issue didn't get completely resolved at server level.
vostro
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Obi202
Firmware Version: 3.2.2 5857EX
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable+DSL
Computer OS: Windows 10 pro 64bit
Router: Sonicwall TZ500+R7000+EX7000
Smartphone Model: iPhone 6s ios 11.4
Android Version: Galaxy S3 Tab Oreo
iOS Version: ipad pro 9.3.3 JB

Postby godot2012 » 12/26/2012

Sometime today I lost the ability to call out. The phone could not break the dialtone. The least my incoming calls were directed to my voice mail. I reset my setup once again. I am loosing trust in this service.

I use a Fongo provided ATA and still have very unreliable service overbearing last week or so.
godot2012
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: GrandStream ATA
Firmware Version: Fongo shipped
ISP Name: 295.ca
Computer OS: WIN 7
Router: NETGEAR DB WNDR4000
Smartphone Model: Nexus4
Android Version: 4.3

Postby Jake » 12/27/2012

I think it would help if it was divulged how the 3rd party ATAs were not configured properly.

What was/is it in particular that could be causing this problem on our end, and how is it going to change, if we don't change anything? There are a lot of people here who use their own SIP devices, especially using the FPL service. I for one have a PBX which I believe to be set up right, mainly because it has been working for a very long time; but if I am somehow responsible for causing some degrade in the system I'm not going to know as I think everything is fine my end.

I feel it is fair to say that most FPL users are not the 'plug and play' type, and so maybe a little more information would be useful so we can make sure things are correct our ends and to also provide support to others that ask in this forum - or to our friends and family which many of us have also brought on board HMS FPL.

Dave, I would like to thank you for the update. Personally I don't see any changes to the errors I get in my logs, but I also have not really seen a problem with my calls either. So on one hand I am OK in the fact that when I pick up the phone to call I can, but on the other I would also like to know if there is more I can be doing to stop these errors if nothing else. With all due respect, saying check the config section is all well and good, but it would be much for a lot of us to explain what it is in fact we should be looking for. Maybe my setup is a little more forgiving (or maybe a little harder working at keeping the connection alive) as I haven't seen much of a change between 5 days ago and now. I'm 99.9% sure the errors I get now were not there before, so I feel I need a little more help on knowing what is going on.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby godot2012 » 12/27/2012

Dec 27 - 9:18 am. Incoming calls are OK. But outgoing calls can not reach dialled party, even my voice mail. After long delay I receive a busy.

As far as I am concerned the problem is not fixed.

Update at 11:25. Incoming and outgoing calls are now OK, but calling my voice mail gets a busy - after a long delay!
Still needs work!

The bottom line is that the my service was either completely or partially unavailable during the Christmas holidays.
godot2012
Active Poster

Postby vostro » 12/27/2012

as of now, 10:05 am, two of three FPL disconnected for a while but reconnected without booting modem. incoming and outgoing call is ok.
vostro
Active Poster

Postby user451 » 12/27/2012

Just had another incoming call show "Destination out of order" the call rang through to my cell. A few minutes later another incoming call came through ok
Dec 27 ~7:25pm
user451
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: SPA2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(004)
ISP Name: Teksavvy Express Cable
Router: Dir-601 DD-WRT

Postby godot2012 » 12/28/2012

December berry 28 - incoming and outgoing calls work, but can not call my voice mail!

This problem is not yet fixed properly.
godot2012
Active Poster

Postby iDrone » 12/28/2012

December 28: When I call out, or receive calls I cannot hear the other end, this has been going off and on since the 19th or so. I know this is a free service, so I can't complain too much, but I did pay Fongo for a SIP unlock key, an ATA and number transfer. Since I do rely on my home phone, I will be looking out for an alternative.
iDrone
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286 Rev4.1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.42
ISP Name: Teksavvy DSL
Router: Tomato on Linksys WRT54GL

Postby molsonbubba » 12/31/2012

Dec 31/12
Noticed intermittent issues with the phone line once again today. Incoming calls are not ringing through and routed to vmail instead. Callers report they get busy signal before going to my vmail. At the same time I cannot make outgoing calls as there is no dial tone.
Checked my ATA. It is obvious that in my case service interruption is caused by ATA not being able to register with the server for an extended period of time. It happened x2 times that I am aware of today.

@Fongo/Freephoneline, what is the solution to this? It has been an ongoing issue.

If anyone has found a solution please post here.

Thanks.
I ran out of altitude, speed and ideas...all at the same time...
molsonbubba
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Lynksys PAP2
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 LS
ISP Name: Cogeco
Computer OS: WIN7
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U

Postby luckych » 12/31/2012

Dear Fongo/Freephoneline,

It's December 31st but the problem is not yet fixed properly. :( I have Linksys SPA 3101 and I'm using SIP recommended settings but my box has been experiencing connection problems with your server since the issue started a few weeks ago. Do you have any ETA when the issue will be finally resolved? Please let me know if you need any additional logs etc. to get to the bottom of this issue. Thanks and Happy New Year!

-Denis
luckych
Just Passing Thru

Postby jotgrewal » 01/01/2013

Hi I am a user of free phone and have my ATA bought from Dellvoice and carried my previous Telephone No. from my previous provider. It had occasional problems of missing calls from outside. But as of today and recently it hardly receive any call from out side. On the new year eve I had my friends calling and getting the messages that this no. does not exist. This I figured out when I called them to wish for new year and thinking that I am the first to call. Of course I have to tell them that I am using this service and all make a joke of it. If this continues at the same standard of unreliable service I will have no option other than shifting my services to other providers.
Updated info will be appreciated.
thanks
jotgrewal
One Hit Wonder

Computer OS: windows vista
Router: smc

Postby molsonbubba » 01/02/2013

Jan 2/12
See post above from Dec 31/12.
Issue with ATA taking too long to reconnect to your servers is not resolved. Missing replies/followup from Freephoneline/Fongo. Frustration with your service is growing.
I ran out of altitude, speed and ideas...all at the same time...
molsonbubba
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Lynksys PAP2
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 LS
ISP Name: Cogeco
Computer OS: WIN7
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U

Postby zoro » 01/02/2013

All is OK with my 647 number for the last two days, but I have to say, on Monday I had "Can not connect to server" message in my ATA adapter from around 3.20 PM-3.50 PM ET.
Indeed, you guys are having pretty frequent issues lately.

Hope, you will resolve them and keep things stable again.

Best luck.
zoro
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.6
ISP Name: ROGERS
Computer OS: WinXP
Router: TomatoRAF

Postby samcro » 01/02/2013

I am a user of Freephoneline for 2 1/2 years now. I do recognize the free service does not come free of pain. It is appreciated as a service, but lately is creating a lot of pain for us who owns 3-rd party ATA's (mainly Linksys). If you are saying no to support our ATA's than tell us and we will buy YOUR device. Or you want us to pay for your service say so and will do. Why are you not speaking up??? Why you want angry customers who will bad mouth you and loose more customers???? This is beyond me to try and reason myself what your tactics are. :evil:

Please tell us what you want. Most of us switched our home phones to you and over the holidays we got left in the COLD. This is the business model for the future???

Advise please.

Thank you
samcro
Just Passing Thru

Postby manual scan » 01/02/2013

Dear Mr. Bullock
ce
:? I appreciate the company rhetoric that you have pronounced about 3rd party ATA's. It is mind boggling that a well programmed 3rd party ATA that has performed well for 6 months - all of a sudden doesn't work anymore. And all this just before the Holiday season begins.

It seems passing the buck is preferable than providing a service that works. Your many customers are not all Stupid. So please don't assume that we are incapable of programming our devices properly.

It would be of great HELP if you would provide us (customers) with the recommended ATA and appropriate coding for it. A few dollars for the best device would go a long way in making us (customers) happy.

Your moderators are polite but provide little in the way of support. The same kind of pencil pushing support offered by certain other companies.

trusting that you read these posts.

Have a nice day!
manual scan
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: HT 502
ISP Name: velcom.ca
Router: TP-Link 8960

Postby qluong » 01/02/2013

I am using an ATA that was purchased from freephoneline.ca and I am still having problems. If I reboot my ATA, the service starts to work again but a few hours later it is not working again. Since my ATA purchased from freephoneline.ca is having problems I am starting to doubt the story about third party ATAs causing issues. Any idea when the service will be stable again? Thanks!
qluong
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT287
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.42
ISP Name: Tech Savy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 7 64 bit
Router: Cisco WRT610N

Postby dibsmft » 01/02/2013

qluong wrote:I am using an ATA that was purchased from freephoneline.ca and I am still having problems. If I reboot my ATA, the service starts to work again but a few hours later it is not working again. Since my ATA purchased from freephoneline.ca is having problems I am starting to doubt the story about third party ATAs causing issues. Any idea when the service will be stable again? Thanks!

The problem is most likely at your end. Did you forward the required ports from the router to the ATA and did you give the ATA a fixed IP as well as configuring it to use the forwarded ports? For the present you can try enabling STUN (a server is stun.callwithus.com). This might allow the ATA to work, however it is better in the long run to see if careful configuration will solve the problem.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Postby boomcha » 01/02/2013

Add me as one with connection issues as well. Been with Freephoneline since the beginning of last year and no major issues and in the last week everytime I go to use the phone its dead. Can't connect to server. Everything is setup correctly (ports forwarded, etc). If I unplug the ATA and plug in again then it all works for a bit.

C'mon Freephoneline crew, get it sorted please.
boomcha
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T-NA
Router: Linksys E4200 running Tomato

Postby henryhuynh » 01/03/2013

Hello Freephoneline,

I have been with Freephoneline for over 2 years. And since the past 2 years until before last Christmas, my 3rd party ATAs were working perfectly without any connection issue. The connection issue only happens since the last 3 weeks. It's started to loose connection many times in everyday... And IT NOT ONLY HAPPENS TO ME. Same thing happens to my 2 brothers, my sister, my uncle and the other 3 friends of mine.The total 9 third party ATAs were working fine for 2 years before.

So please stop to lay the blame on customers' 3rd party ATA or any thing else... It is very clear here: The issue is NOT from us (the customers)... The issue is from Freephoneline (your server).
And please tell us when the service will be stable back or just tell us what do you want? or what do you plan?
Then we can make decision what to do next. Thank you very much and a happy new year.
henryhuynh
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Win 7
Router: Linksys

Postby Ketan1988 » 01/03/2013

I am also having the exact same issue over the past 3-4 weeks. My home phone line has been down for the past 4 days now. Rebooting the ATA does not always help to reconnect.

My friends have the Fongo supplied adapter, I have the Linksys PAP2T and we both are having the same issue..HELP

I signed up over a year ago....maybe even 2 years now.. Ive never had a single issue with FPL. Since I joined this is the FIRST time i'm having an issue. I referred so many people to this great service and now everyone is disappointed. Especially the ones who have just switched their home phone to FPL in the past few months. Their first experience has not been great. I dont see any replies from the admins. I hope they are looking into this. I may just have to move my service elsewhere if this doesn't resolve soon. I'm just a little disappointed that the FPL team has not informed everyone as to what is going on. I think everyone would appreciate some sort of update on the situation considering that in Canada your Home Phone line is a necessity of life. The major companies such as Bell/Rogers must do their best to get their customers services back up and running within 24-48hrs. I attempted multiple times to get a hold of FPL customer service but am unable to reach anyone. This is quite frustrating.

I speak on behalf of everyone having this issue when I say:

Please UPDATE us on the situation ASAP. I need to know whether or not I have to switch providers in order to receive a constant working home phone line. If I have to wait a week or two for this issue to be resolved, I am fine with that but I really would like to know FPL is working on the issue and not just passing the blame on 3rd party ATA devices. I would feel much more at ease if I had some sort of update and was not sitting here in the dark.

Please Please provide us with an update soon. I understand this all happened near the holidays and FPL may not have had full staff on hand but now that the holidays are all over I hope this will be resolved soon.

Just looking at this issue from a client perspective, I noticed on/off issues about 3-4 weeks ago and I noticed this happen once in while in November. In November the service would go down for maybe a few minutes to a hour and come back online. Starting Mid-December every few days my ATA was unable to connect to the server but a reboot would usually bring this back up. The last 2 weeks of December the service began to drop multiple times a day, reboots would help at times. Now, Reboots dont seem to do much. My service seems to be online for a few hours of the day if that. This week my home phone has been down for 4 days straight. The issue seems to be getting progressively worst as the time passes. I would rule out Port issues as I have placed my ATA in a DMZ so all access is open.

Questions that rise immediately are, Where any changes made on the FPL server end between October-December? Are changes still being made as the issue seems to have become more severe than it was in the beginning? How many ATA's were having issues connecting prior to November and how many are having issues now. Which models are being affected? Which ATA models are NOT being affected? Are certain ATA's having more issues than another ATA model?

Ok i'm done ranting, Please relieve us of this frustration!

Thanks,
Ketan
Ketan1988
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Router: WRT54G DIR-655

Postby dibsmft » 01/03/2013

boomcha wrote:Add me as one with connection issues as well. Been with Freephoneline since the beginning of last year and no major issues and in the last week everytime I go to use the phone its dead. Can't connect to server. Everything is setup correctly (ports forwarded, etc). If I unplug the ATA and plug in again then it all works for a bit.

C'mon Freephoneline crew, get it sorted please.

I cannot tell who is causing these problems as I do not use FPL as my phone service (coverage too thin in NL and no local numbers). In my experience over many years there is a greater chance that the problems are at the user end rather than the provider. The PAP2 (I don't own one but have helped configure quite a few) is quite fussy about configuration and working perfectly for long periods and then suddenly failing seems to be normal. Usually when internet has failed or the router has been restarted or other hardware on the network has changed. Often, normality can be restored by reviewing the configuration and restarting modem->router->ATA. With FPL working on their system while it is running it is pretty difficult to know what is going on.
How, exactly, are your router and ATA configured?
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Postby Fongo Support » 01/03/2013

Hello folks,

Here's some additional information for your reference:

Voicemail handling was resolved the morning of December 29th.
We also installed a new SIP server and have been identifying and contacting misconfigured users where possible.

If you're still encountering issues, please send us a personal message with your account number (Fongo phone number) and a detailed description of what you're experiencing so we can investigate your specific issue further. As mentioned above, it's difficult for us to support the broad range of devices and configurations but we'll try to get you all back online quickly.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Postby vostro » 01/03/2013

it would be helpful to publish a standard configuration settings for FPL users as any third party modem settings would be similar.
vostro
Active Poster

Postby rchristy » 01/03/2013

I have noticed the several registration failure, including "no response from server", this evening. It works after one or few times of retry.

The ATA I'm using is Obi-110, which works all times well. The Google voice has no problem at all.
rchristy
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: Obi110
ISP Name: ACANAC

Next

Return to Fongo Announcements