Make Freephoneline available to the widest amount of users..

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!
Browncoat
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: desktop
Firmware Version: not applicable
ISP Name: Cogeco cable, Turbo 60.
Computer OS: Win7 and PCLinuxOS
Router: TL-WR720N

Make Freephoneline available to the widest amount of users..

Post by Browncoat »

Which includes all operating systems and versions. It is a sloppy and lazy programmer that won't do this.
Especially when you can still use assembly, cp/m as well as 'C' and the current rave C++.
Right now the thread on corrupted voicemail to email is locked.
(at the time of this post)
I suggest rather than using windows .au format go to the more standardised and cross-platform .wav files
as they can be played on anything.
In that respect I recently had a good news/bad news email from Stoyan.
where I am at odds is it isn't that hard to keep writing for NT5 as well as NT5.1
in most cases all it involves is one line of code.;

Hello,

as Windows 2000 is really old we stopped support it.
About Linux - Yes we have plans to port FreePhoneLine for it but first target distribution will be Ubunto.
I don't expect to have ready application in next 3 months

best regards,
Stoyan Hristov
FreePhoneLine Team

:
> Howcome 2.2.1 no longer supports Windows 2000?
> I had to roll back to 2.2.0.
>
> AND I'm getting fed up with Microsoft, in the next month I'm switching to Linux, a shrunken 2000 for embedded use and the
> Mandriva package for online use.
>
> You'd be smart to port over.
> http://store.mandriva.com/product_info. ... &cPath=149

Bad idea, as well as Mandriva I'm running Linux Mint on one machine.
The horrible decision made only adds fuel to the fire that Redmond is pressuring vendors of every ilk because they secretly desire
that the use of any of their OSs that don't need that activation nonsense fall by the wayside and be downright unusable.
It is the same thing as Internet Explorer vs. every other browser.
More info here:
http://www.anybrowser.org
For now though I still use 2000 Pro for legacy hardware and software support and because of the ease of the SignupShield Suite,
on my main workstation, though the migration to Linux is ongoing.

There are a core of W2kP users out there as well as Win9x and it is foolish to ignore them but don't take my word for it,
check out Usenet[though I realise that some of you now don't know what usenet is].
Not servicing them would be unwise because they will support those that give them the same in return.

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum.html
http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-nt420002003-f35.html
http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-959898seme-f8.html

There you'll find ways of stripping that security hole called IE and applications still under development.
I suggest all the above because of the move to open source for all things even my Atari/Mac emulator,
the vendor has taken Gemulator 9 and made it open source.

I guess I've made my point now, so I hope the widest amount of FPL users read this and maybe put the pressure on you
to comply.
(because not everybody can afford to plunk down 300 $ CDN for W7 Ultimate as Steve here can)
:evil:
.....and while typing this I just received a voice to email and it is unplayable and it comes from a rather important party,
you could be putting me in trouble.
elwebmaster
Just Passing Thru

Re: Make Freephoneline available to the widest amount of users..

Post by elwebmaster »

Hi,

Is there a specific reason why you can't purchase the config file and use it on whatever operating system you prefer? As far as I know there are standard SIP applications for all popular operating systems. That being said, if freephoneline.ca are going to waste their time porting the software, clearly MacOS would be a more demanded OS than anything else. However, in my opinion freephoneline.ca should focus on adding new features as opposed to porting existing ones. Just my 2 cents.
Browncoat
Quiet One

Post by Browncoat »

More like half a cent.
No ATA, just head set.
I'm not privy to the code for the softphone.

If the # is portable, I may try Tpad or another,
getting another # right now is kinda late, I have people
that depend on the one I've got.
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

You are correct, elwebmaster.

Right now we're working hard on a fix-only release (like what Ubuntu 10.04 should have been ;))
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
bilaliz
Just Passing Thru

Post by bilaliz »

sorry i didnt get the conclusion here, are you guys going to release a softphone for ubuntu or not? i'd really like to have it.
i can see some one suggesting buying sip settings etc, i have those, but i would still really like to use fpl's software instead for one specific reason.... i wont have to config it! ...
Browncoat
Quiet One

Re: Make Freephoneline available to the widest amount of use

Post by Browncoat »

I'm adding this to my complaint of you dropping W2kP support in your latter versions
[or are you, like some vendors] being pressured by Redmond,Washington to not support
any M$ OS that doesn't require activation?

It only requires keeping a couple of lines of code.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/69579-u ... ack-5-faq/

To quote:

-Why bother? Just use XP.

Many people and even more businesses still work with Windows 2000.
Some of us don't have the money to upgrade to Windows XP, which is a PITA.
XP uses more memory and takes away up to 2.5 GB on your harddisk. Not counting System Restore.

XP looks like it's made for a 4-year old.
XP has Upnp and other wide gaping holes, despite it's inbuilt firewall.
2000 came with lots of s*** that you don't need. XP has more added s*** you don't need.
XP is less well developed than 2000. 2000 is mature and it's quirks and issues are well known.
Windows XP Home edition is nothing but a crippled version of Windows XP Professional.
XP OEM version now only work on a single motherboard, which is a PITA.
XP is overpriced and underperforming. (ditto for W7)
Two words: Product Activation.
curriegrad2004
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: FreeSwitch SoftSwitch
Firmware Version: Latest Git
ISP Name: Telus HSI/Rogers 3G
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Netfilter with SIP ALG

Post by curriegrad2004 »

Hey, chill down here.

Microsoft's product activation isn't that bad. I wouldn't detail it here, but there are ways to get around it and my favorite method is just to buy a brand new PC with Windows XP pre-installed.

Windows 2000 at it's core is quite outdated and the obsolescence of XP is also coming to it too. If I remember correctly, Microsoft dropped mainstream support for XP and extended support for 2000 2 years ago. While Windows XP may still get it's security updates, 2000 itself is just left abandoned and full of security holes. What I'd recommended you is just to do away with 2K/XP completely and just buy a brand new PC with Windows 7. If you haven't touched the NT 6.x series core yet, I'd suggest you to do so, you'll be surprised with the improvements and you might not want to go back to the good ol' XP days ;)
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

Product Activation works fine when you *BUY* your OS. LoL The only people I've ever seen complain about it are those that are trying to pirate the OS and it catches them and shuts them down, then they get all upset and pissy about it. :lol:
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I would have to agree. Windows 7 is a very good OS, although I would love to see how older OS would perform on the system I have now. When I think back to what I used to run windows 3.1 on... and that seemed fast at the time.

Given a choice I would install Ubuntu on everything. That OS suits me down to the ground, with one big exception. I can't run the Adobe suit of products on it which is what I spend most of my day working with. Otherwise I wouldn't look twice at Windows.
curriegrad2004
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: FreeSwitch SoftSwitch
Firmware Version: Latest Git
ISP Name: Telus HSI/Rogers 3G
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Netfilter with SIP ALG

Post by curriegrad2004 »

tbrummell wrote:Product Activation works fine when you *BUY* your OS. LoL The only people I've ever seen complain about it are those that are trying to pirate the OS and it catches them and shuts them down, then they get all upset and pissy about it. :lol:
Actually, I got my copy of Windows 7 free from Microsoft. They were handing out NFR copies to their employees and the employees ended up giving them to their friends and family. I happened to be one of the lucky few to get them ;)
laurent
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-502
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.63
ISP Name: DSL TekSavvy
Computer OS: OSX Snow Leopard
Router: Linksys WRT54GL w/tomato

Post by laurent »

Hi. I'm an actual systems administrator. Anyone running Windows 2000 for any reason whatsoever is suicidal. The number of currently unpatched vulnerabilities on the W2K platform is insane.

But wait, there's more. I also happen to be a software developer! And I can tell you that writing code for Windows 2000, testing it, supporting it, is crazy. The amount of work is not two lines of code, it's countless hours of spaghetti + ducktape together a few virtual machines with unstable and hard to find versions of libraries and software bundles that aren't available anymore.

tl;dr --> no windows 2000.
Ice
Lightly Seasoned

Post by Ice »

+1...

I think the argument goes further too - the amount of time and money spent on developing software and other stuff can- and is used better. If anything, I'd ask for a Linux client. Those old PCs that can't run Win7 can still run Linux. The only problem is the packaging... compiling/etc would open it to hacks and they lose their control over people purcahsing config files. Computers are quite cheap now these days anyway... if you can run Win2k, you can run WinXP! ;)
mjbad2
Active Poster

Post by mjbad2 »

WTF? is this guy have superior complex or what that he uses Linux?
Chill man...

"Make Freephoneline available to the widest amount of users.."

Its is because we the commoner are using windows.

If somebody want for linux let the developer have SIP client done. It might be there.
Browncoat
Quiet One

Post by Browncoat »

I highly doubt that!
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/35-windows-nt420002003/

Or you can't be a very good one... just a sheep.... a member of the herd.
As for servers, Linux is taking that function over, open source and free or minimal
stipend for pre-made CD/DVDs.
:roll:
laurent wrote:Hi. I'm an actual systems administrator. Anyone running Windows 2000 for any reason whatsoever is suicidal. The number of currently unpatched vulnerabilities on the W2K platform is insane.

But wait, there's more. I also happen to be a software developer! And I can tell you that writing code for Windows 2000, testing it, supporting it, is crazy. The amount of work is not two lines of code, it's countless hours of spaghetti + ducktape together a few virtual machines with unstable and hard to find versions of libraries and software bundles that aren't available anymore.

tl;dr --> no windows 2000.
:roll:

Tell that to developers of VLC Media Player. Cross-platform, up-to-date and still supports W'98!

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-959898seme/

Try criticizing these Win '98 users like you did me and they will rip you a new one! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Hey, I want to support CDN developers/projects but like ATI [when that company didn't sell their first ATSC tuner for two years in Canada while selling it in the US during that time.....
....so I wound up buying a Korean product from a US distributor, the MDP-130 instead] whereas nVidia products/drivers are all backward compatible and don't give me grief.
All I want to do is keep using the softphone but right now even the version that runs on W2k doesn't connect, so if that's the way they want to be, fine. I'll use alternatives that
do work but it is a poor business plan to actually drive customers away by allowing the competition to scoop them up, so now freephoneline.ca for me is just an answering service.
It would confuse too many of my contacts now to adapt to a new number.
Last but not least, why should legacy hardware and software end up in a landfill when they are perfectly fine in day to day use?
Here's another plus for 2000....
http://liliputing.com/2008/12/whats-the ... -2000.html
or [and sounds like the same article though]
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ate_drives_
THUFIR
Quiet One
ISP Name: SHAW
Computer OS: LINUX
Router: NO ROUTER

Post by THUFIR »

most of the client seems to be Java, so why not just do a Java front end?