Windows 2000 softphone support

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

Windows 2000 softphone support

Postby Browncoat » 03/31/2012

I am reiterating my stand on you making the softphone app compatible with Win2000 and earlier versions
I took a lot of flack from the ignorant and uninformed on this board re: "make freephoneline available to the widest
amount of users". My point being it only takes a couple of lines of code to do so.

Well because I was right, and those even smarter than I have the have the answer for you, as I suspect
that your programmer has taken the lazy route and has been using MS VC++ 2010 for compiling his/her/their
code for new versions of the freephone app. Which itself lacks support for 2000 pro and earlier because that's
what Redmond wants. To cut off support for any of their past OSs that lack that activation nonsense by third
party vendors.

See this discussion over at the MSFN.org board:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156004- ... -portable/
While the point of the thread is to get me to use the Unofficial Update Rollup package
(and I will, as soon as I backup my boot drive/partition) the fact is that you can
support all windows users easily by applying this:

[quote name='blackwingcat' timestamp='1333106276' post='993891']

I released [url="http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1452362.html"]Windows 9x / 2000 Library for VC++2010.[/url] before.
If you compile with this library on VC++2010 , your program does not only work on Windows 2000 but also Windows 95/98/Me ! :)
[/quote]

I may have lost some of the formatting but the original post is still there to follow the URLs.
That should settle it once and for all.
G'day.
Last edited by FONGO_steve on 04/02/2012, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject to reflect content of posting
Browncoat
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: desktop
Firmware Version: not applicable
ISP Name: Cogeco cable, Turbo 60.
Computer OS: Win7 and PCLinuxOS
Router: TL-WR720N

Errrr....

Postby TheHardy » 03/31/2012

Your post, FYI & IMNSHO, comes across very ARROGANT and CONFRONTATIONAL. "Just sayin". I never read the original on this, but your tone in this post is a tad condescending, to say the least. I might not be reading enough between the lines and if that is the case, PLEASE use PM to bring me up-to-speed (I don't want a FLAME-war in open-forum!).

All I can say is "You attract far more flies with sugar than vinegar".

That being said, I am with you as far as backwards compatibility, it is not AS TOUGH AS THEY ALL MAKE IT SOUND, to include _some_ support for older versions. Temper that, HOWEVER, with the fact that if the code is OPTIMIZED for newer versions, it may turn out to be rather KLUDGY to go back and deal with features that the old OS's don't natively support. This therefore would render the backwards compatibility to be more of a pain in the ass than it is worth.

Remember that "Redmond" has stopped SUPPORTING ALTOGETHER their OWN older versions --- so why should 3rd party developers support something that Mickey$oft itself no longer does?

_THAT_ point I look MOST forward to your views on!! :-)
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
TheHardy
***Übergod***

SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Re: TO:Fongo_kris and Fongo_Steve,formerly FPL_k&S

Postby seagame2001 » 03/31/2012

Well it's your problem to fix cause you have windows 2000
Remember they go forward they don't go back work

Just like you go to buy some hardware they upgrade your computer they require minimum windows XP. If this FPL or Dellvoice did not work with your system then it's your hardware problem so stop cry or blame someone like a baby

What PC’s are supported by Dell Voice?
Dell Voice is currently supported on computers with minimum requirements of:

Processor: Minimum 800MHz - Recommended Pentium IV
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
RAM: Minimum 384MB
Hard Disk: Minimum 30MB free space on your hard drive
Sound : Installed Audio drivers, Headset with Microphone
Internet Connection: Minimum 128kbps is required
Browser: IE 6.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox, Opera 8 or higher

System Requirements: Minimum Windows system requirements to use freephoneline computer desktop phone
• Processor: Minimum 800MHz - Recommended Pentium IV
• Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
• RAM: Minimum 384MB
• Hard Disk: Minimum 30MB free space on your hard drive
• Sound : Installed Audio drivers, Headset with Microphone
• Internet Connection: Minimum 128kbps is required
• Browser: IE 6.0 or higher, Mozilla Firefox, Opera 8 or higher
seagame2001
Tried and True

SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web