"Problem Solving" call drops in a timeframe?

Have a great idea? We'd love to hear it! Want to share the story of how Fongo is saving you money? This is the place to do it!

"Problem Solving" call drops in a timeframe?

Postby Funkytown » 02/06/2013

Usually calls that drop like in a time frame EXAMPLE every 2minutes are known and common and easy to fix,this is most likely related to your modem/router.

When your in a Live call your Voip call is constantly sending/receiving packets to and from Fongo server and when the modem/router is set in security mode within a time frame it will automatically cut off certain ports for security and this will then drop your Live Voip calls.

1. First suggestion is to check inside the modem/router for a setting "keep alive" - Enable this, it's basically telling the devices connected to the modem/router that there still here and alive and not to worry. :lol:

2. Second suggestion you might have to upgrade the modem/router firmware.

3. Third suggestion is to reduce the firewalls to minimum in the modem/router. (not recommended)

4. Fourth suggestion check your modem/router for a SIP ALG setting - Disable this.

Update:

5. If the above 4 is still not working for you then an alternative way is to try and upgrade from a 3rd party site earthier called Tomato or DD-WRT firmware.

I hope I have covered everything related to dropped calls.

Good luck!
Funkytown
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Re: "Problem Solving" call drops in a timeframe?

Postby Hyrules » 02/13/2013

As a computer tech I wouldn't recommend lowering the firewall security. It's a personnal hazard to do that. You risk being attacked or getting all sorts of troubles.
Hyrules
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: GRANDSTREAM HT701
ISP Name: Electronic Box
Computer OS: Windows 10 x64
Router: Edgerouter 6P

Postby Funkytown » 02/13/2013

Hyrules wrote:As a computer tech I wouldn't recommend lowering the firewall security. It's a personnal hazard to do that. You risk being attacked or getting all sorts of troubles.

Firewalls in home routers/modems are more troublesome for the average person than what there worth.

Here at home I have never experienced any problems from outside intruders, etc...because my desktop firewall & antivirus protects my computer and filters out unwanted things and for me it has given me more leverage then my routers firewall.
Funkytown
Technical Support

Postby Flow » 04/05/2013

Firewalls in home routers/modems are more troublesome for the average person than what there worth.

Here at home I have never experienced any problems from outside intruders, etc...because my desktop firewall & antivirus protects my computer and filters out unwanted things and for me it has given me more leverage then my routers firewall.

Hi, I just registered to answer this..

While you might not have ever had problems lowering the router firewall security is not relevant to the means of actual security. Software firewalls fail miserably still to this day and especially in any Windows OS. The firewall in a router is ALWAYS better, the fact that you find it cumbersome is no reason to start going and suggesting to just about anyone about doing this. Might as well learn a bit of how it works because this is important matters. We are talking about personal information security, not just some inoffensive viruses.

I like your informative posts Funky so please don't take this in the wrong way, I'm no flame-war starter here, people could get problems doing so. Besides, why spend money on firewall software? Instead buy a GOOD router, not Linksys or DLink crap that constantly overheat and get real hardware; ex. Mikrotik (51$ CAD Shipped), Ubiquity Edge Router...

And worst of it all, there are VOIP scanner out there, so without proper security people could get their conversations listen to over the internet... extreme yes, but it is the reality of the world we live in.
Because imagine for a second, the firewall you have in your computer is NOT protecting in any way the ATA device, it's external so you MUST have a proper firewall to support it and it needs to be configured adequately otherwise just about anyone could listen in!

My point is, it is for the best for anyone to learn how to secure their network, at least the basics, and while I do get it that most people won't take the time required to invest a bit in learning I feel that people coming here are trying to learn and understand otherwise they probably would have a different service provider, so it might be wise to inform correctly while you are in a position to do so. Instead of denying what the person before me tried to tell you, you should not take the matter of security lightly.

No offense intended, I know you are doing this to help people on your spare time, it is much appreciated! Again, this is written with good intentions, please take it accordingly. :)
Flow
Just Passing Thru

Postby Funkytown » 04/07/2013

It's okay, I actually appreciate everyone's comments on here and i personally take no offense here at all, were all here to share our very own personal & professional technical experiences with the rest of the voip community. ;)
Funkytown
Technical Support

Return to Suggestions & Feedback