Break up of sound

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
bedihardeep
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: SPA 1001
Firmware Version: 2.0.1
ISP Name: Bell Fibe
Computer OS: windows 10 Pro
Router: bell homehub 3000

Break up of sound

Post by bedihardeep »

Hi there

i am having problem like breakup of voice
i have been told by 3-4 people its more than week when i start to hear from people it was minor but now people
keep telling me

what should i do

i have SPA 1001 SIPURA DEVICE
TEKSAVVY HINGH SPEED INTERNET
AIRLINK 101 WIRELESS N ROUTER
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Re: Break up of sound

Post by OverDrive »

I'm kind of in this situation as well. People keep telling me that I sound like i'm under water. I performed a full reboot of modem/router/ata and still it is happening.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

What else on your networking is using your upload bandwidth? While your download speed is over twice what I have your upload speed is somewhat lower lower - even then it should be able to support 2 - 3 simultaneous voip calls depending on the codec you are using. If anything else is using you upload bandwidth it will cause there to be dropped RTP audio packets and this can make the sound seem very much as you describe. How are you making your calls (windows client or ATA)?
The SPA3102 might need some audio level adjustment to get rid of echo. Try to keep volume levels as low as you can to prevent the generation of echo/feedback if that is your problem.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

Speedtest is usually pretty useless for VOIP testing, but in this case the upload bandwidth is rather telling. IS it a bad DSL line? Modem? Router?(Doubt it)

In any case, you might need to call the ISP and see what they can do for you. If you had the SIP settings, you could use a lower bandwidth, more jitter tolerant codec like g.729a. That would do a good job to mask your problem.

Another note, Speedtest is pretty lousy as testing your VOIP, it was just that your upload was so bad, it stuck out. Try this test regularly to better test the quality of VOIP on your connection. http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/n ... erate.com/
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

OverDrive (or anyone with DD-WRT) if you have the knowledge and ability, you could always SSH into your router and run a

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/tcpdump -i ethx
where x is the interface which your ATA is plugged into to identify any packet loss or random spikes in traffic volume. There is also a third party program for VOIP you can install in your router called Milkfish (I don't think they ALL come with it) which has worked fairly well for me until I recently bricked my router trying to reflash it... Doh.

Physical speed it not always the issue. You could have a high CPU load which really only affects voice when it gets too high. Increasing your flash memory (not for beginners) could solve some issues as well. Killing unnecessary processes is sometimes helpful as well.

Code: Select all

ps aux | less
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Post by OverDrive »

Thanks for the commands. When you don't work in linux natively you end up forgetting all of these commands after a while.

I found out that it was my wiresless phones that were causing the problem.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek