Serious Issues

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
molsonbubba
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Lynksys PAP2
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 LS
ISP Name: Cogeco
Computer OS: WIN7
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U

Serious Issues

Post by molsonbubba »

Last few days I have been experiencing 2 issues with FPL. At first I thought it was a one off "it happens" kind of thing but tonight it became obvious that issues are serious.

1. When I dial out. I can hear the dial tone. I dial the local # and after that the line goes silent. I cannot hear the tone in my phone when the phone is ringing on the other end when I call to a land line or cell, on Rogers or Videotron (Quebec) networks. I cannot hear the person I am calling. This issue DOES NOT exist when I call a number on Bell Canada network, cell or land line.

2. When a call comes in. My phone rings. However, when I pick up there is nothing there, not even a crackling sound. I cannot hear anything. People who are calling me CAN hear me.

My set up:
Lynksis PAP2T
Firmware: 5.1.6 (LS)

Router: DLink DIR-655 - ports are forwarded. Static IP.
I have recycled modem, router and pap.
NAT is set to least restrictive option available.
QOS is turned off.
ALG: SIP is turned ON.

Thanks for looking into this FPL.
I ran out of altitude, speed and ideas...all at the same time...
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Re: Serious Issues

Post by 46jimbo »

Perhaps you could try plugging your ata directly into the modem, bypassing the router. This might help to isolate the problem to the router or the ata.
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

Sigh. Disable the SIP ALG.
molsonbubba
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Lynksys PAP2
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 LS
ISP Name: Cogeco
Computer OS: WIN7
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U

Post by molsonbubba »

46jimbo
Yes, that worked. Thnx for the tip.

tbrummell
Did not work. However, after connecting ata directly into the modem and then back into the router worked...with SIP ALG still on. Not sure what or why as at this point I had not changed any settings in the router or the ata.

Thanks for helping out.
I ran out of altitude, speed and ideas...all at the same time...
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

tbrummell wrote:Sigh. Disable the SIP ALG.

Without being dramatic, tb's reply states what has been repeated many times already, the SIP ALG does not work correctly, and should be disabled to prevent issues with FPL service. Overall, SIP ALG seems to be somewhat compromised and not working correctly in general, but especially bad in FPL/Fongo application.
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

TheHardy wrote:
tbrummell wrote:Sigh. Disable the SIP ALG.

Without being dramatic, tb's reply states what has been repeated many times already, the SIP ALG does not work correctly, and should be disabled to prevent issues with FPL service. Overall, SIP ALG seems to be somewhat compromised and not working correctly in general, but especially bad in FPL/Fongo application.
*Especially* on the D-link line of products. Secure Computing (now owned by McAfee) Sidewinder's (a corporate product) have a severely screwed up implementation of a SIP ALG as well.