Who else is having issues with freephoneline?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
jfmartel
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 (004) Jul 27 2
ISP Name: Videotron
Computer OS: XP
Router: Linksys

Re: Who else is having issues with freephoneline?

Post by jfmartel »

Well, I've been a satisfied customer of FPL for the last 2 years, never had a problem.
But since December it's going south... and what bothers me the most is that the absence of tech support.
Hopefully they will fix the problem, but it's my home phone and I can't go for months like that.
marginal
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2-NA
Firmware Version: 3.3.14
ISP Name: Acanac
Computer OS: Ubuntu / XP

Post by marginal »

madmot wrote:Come on! I don't want to abandon the ship quite yet! I also have the exact same issues. Everything was working awesome for months, for years but since last december, things began to go on and off at, what it seems to me, random times. I tried some minor adjustements in my PAP2T: I change the registering time from 180 to 60. I also tried 3600 like it was in the real beginning but I started having incoming call issues. Who knew!
I also changed my NAT mapping (enable) and NAT keep alive (enable) to yes.

Anyways, I try to keep my hope alive. For now, down time happens nearly everyday but only one time a day. A quick reset of the ATA usually resolve the issue but what a PITA!

I'm trying to resolve this thing by trials and errors but professionnal advices, like the one FPL staff usually give, would be very welcome.

Don't let us down please.
Same thing here.
I understand it is frustrating to find out suddenly we've been without a working phone line for an hour or so, but let's not forget the service is free (whatever the reason for that being might be), and let's not forget, there are people like us behind that service and try to understand them.
marginal
Active Poster

Post by marginal »

Jake wrote:I would like to see the FPL server separated from the DV server if they are not already. I think things get hammered a bit from the apps and it just seems the ATA users among us seem to bear the brunt of it. Years ago we didn't get problems like this, maybe we could go back to that.
I totally agree, we've all been witnesses to small and familly companies and businesses merging or being bought by biger ones and the quality of service and product going down.
hybj
Just Passing Thru

Post by hybj »

marginal wrote:
madmot wrote:Come on! I don't want to abandon the ship quite yet! I also have the exact same issues. Everything was working awesome for months, for years but since last december, things began to go on and off at, what it seems to me, random times. I tried some minor adjustements in my PAP2T: I change the registering time from 180 to 60. I also tried 3600 like it was in the real beginning but I started having incoming call issues. Who knew!

Anyways, I try to keep my hope alive. For now, down time happens nearly everyday but only one time a day. A quick reset of the ATA usually resolve the issue but what a PITA!

I'm trying to resolve this thing by trials and errors but professionnal advices, like the one FPL staff usually give, would be very welcome.

Same thing here.
I understand it is frustrating to find out suddenly we've been without a working phone line for an hour or so, but let's not forget the service is free (whatever the reason for that being might be), and let's not forget, there are people like us behind that service and try to understand them.
If FPL is an UNSTABLE and free service, just say it loudly, so I can make the decision to choose it or not. But there's no person from FPL said something about the issue happened recently, I have no idea how long this problem will be fixed or it will be a regular situation. I won't complain their services, but I hope I can get more info to know what happened and what will happen then I can make a right choice.
billcanada
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: OBi200
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: Hitron CGN3

Post by billcanada »

It's frustrating to be without a working phone line for an hour or so? Try a week and a half. So because the service is free we should just try to understand extremely poor service? That's ridiculous.
marginal wrote:

Same thing here.
marginal
Active Poster

Post by marginal »

billcanada wrote:It's frustrating to be without a working phone line for an hour or so? Try a week and a half. So because the service is free we should just try to understand extremely poor service? That's ridiculous.
I meant to discover that we've been without a phone line for an hour or so, meaning, there have not been a phone service for an hour or so, and we have not known it.
The time after that does not count in what I was talking about.
And again, ridiculous or not, this is a FREE service, I won't forget when I was paying 28$ a month for a home phone service with BELL ...
billcanada
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: OBi200
ISP Name: Rogers
Router: Hitron CGN3

Post by billcanada »

I'm happy to report that my issues have been resolved. My lines were not working for over two weeks, until this past Saturday. I tried many things but none of them solved the issue. I decided to try a different VoIP adapter and my lines worked. Then I decided to do a factory reset on my PAP2 and re-enter all my freephoneline settings and it worked too! I couldn't believe it. The lesson learned is if having problems, do a factory reset on your adapter first and then go from there. I don't know what the heck happened to my VoIP adapter because several other VoIP providers worked fine when their settings were programmed into it. I'm just glad it's working again with freephoneline. Hallelujah! I apologize for my previous posts. It's just been so frustrating trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
Snork
Just Passing Thru

Post by Snork »

marginal wrote:
billcanada wrote:It's frustrating to be without a working phone line for an hour or so? Try a week and a half. So because the service is free we should just try to understand extremely poor service? That's ridiculous.
I meant to discover that we've been without a phone line for an hour or so, meaning, there have not been a phone service for an hour or so, and we have not known it.
The time after that does not count in what I was talking about.
And again, ridiculous or not, this is a FREE service, I won't forget when I was paying 28$ a month for a home phone service with BELL ...
Some people paid fifty bucks for SIP credentials, some paid $25 to get their number ported, and others have paid for "credits"... that is not free (not to mention the fact that they clearly also generate income via advertising). I would also be willing to bet a nice shiny nickel that billcanada had not anticipated that he would need to check his telephone line hourly to see if he needs to forward it to a working line. The fact that FPL does not have to pay in to thousands of pension funds, copper infrastructure across the entire country, ridiculously overpaid managers and directors, massively overpaid executives, and even fleet vehicles for technicians to take camping on weekends should account for at least some of the difference in price.

Since FPL offers number porting (so you can keep the number you have had for years) and because FPL forces customers to provide real contact information (supposedly so they can provide 911 service) it would seem that they are advertising their product as a FULL phone line. They do not recommend that FPL customers should retain at least one other phone line in case FPL is down. They do not refer to FPL as being only for testing purposes. They do not suggest in any way that their service is any less reliable than any other wired, wireless, or VoIP line. I think it is fair to say that most FPL customers probably retain their current phone line for a period of time while testing out the service, but anyone who finally decided to use FPL as their primary line in early December should be furious.

The bottom line is that some people are using FPL lines as their primary telephone line, and having your phone service become unreliable for six seeks with no acknowledgement from the provider, no available support channels, and no ETA on repair... is simply not classy. If FPL are not able to provide reliable service, or repair issues within a month and a half, then there should be significantly more warnings to customers to tell them that FPL should not be expected to perform like other telephone line providers and that limited resources may result in very long repair times.
kjmj
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
ISP Name: Telus's
Computer OS: Win 7 Pro
Router: Linksys RV042

Post by kjmj »

I have heard of several instances where Telus took over a month to fix phone service.
Snork
Just Passing Thru

Post by Snork »

kjmj wrote:I have heard of several instances where Telus took over a month to fix phone service.
That is truly sad. Any telephony company that takes more than a month to repair phone service does not deserve to be in business (regardless of whether their business model is monthly charge, pay per use, advertising driven, one-time fee, encouraging other services, or anything else).
marcmale
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: OBI202 (SPA-2102 spare device
Firmware Version: 3-0-1-3722
ISP Name: ElectronicBox (cable)
Computer OS: Windows 7 x64
Router: Asus RT-N66U

Post by marcmale »

No problem here with my OBI202 , but my friend with linksys spa-2102 can't receive any calls since somes day.
OBI202 ATA Device | Freephoneline primary line | Voip.ms secondary line | Google voice third line | ElectronicBox ISP |
crusader9
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.3.2_014
ISP Name: Start Communications
Computer OS: Windows 7 x64
Router: DIR-827

Post by crusader9 »

Lets be clear here,

FPL is a free service to the home user. But they make money off termination fees everytime a call terminates successfully on their end (hence the reason why you have voicemail). The key thing here is that FPL profits 100% of revenue from all sources while providing zero support to end users. Bell will charge you on a monthly basis, but also provide support. FPL needs to start supporting its users, only the most tech savvy will have switched to a VoiP service in the first place - so to not get answers when serious problems arise??? ... its impossible to think that a vast majority of intelligent users are doing something wrong versus FPL not fully disclosing server side issues and working with their users to resolve them. In my 16 years of working in tech support I've always found honesty and full disclosure to be the best practices. Knowledge is power, and it also appeases the masses. FPL does not empower its free customers.