iphone app?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
kareylicious
Just Passing Thru

iphone app?

Post by kareylicious »

I tried searching but i couldn't find a topic that was similar...

I have a freephoneline account - can I use my account to log into the fongo app on my iphone? Or do I have to sign up for a fongo number in order to use the app? Is there an iphone app available that I can use my existing account?

Thanks in advance :)
Jake
Technical Support

Re: iphone app?

Post by Jake »

The phone apps are only for Fongo, so you will have to sign up there. FPL logins won't work unfortunately.
Bohannan
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: iPhone 4 - Deactivated
Firmware Version: 6.0.1
ISP Name: Shaw
Computer OS: Windows 7

Post by Bohannan »

Jake's right. I can tell you this. I have a deactivated iPhone 4 and downloaded JUST the Fongo app on it and I love it! I've even brought it out of province and used it via wifi. The iPhone app is awesome! JMO.
kareylicious
Just Passing Thru

Post by kareylicious »

Thanks for confirming :)
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

One thing I will add is if you create the account on an iDevice, you can only use it on an iDevice. If you think there might be even the slightest chance of using it on Android or the desktop app (if they bring it back again), then it is best to sign up through the website so the account is not locked to iDevices.
bartekd
Active Poster

Post by bartekd »

Or you could always buy the SIP unlock key, and use a generic SIP app from the app store to connect to it. I used Zoiper and it is good.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

bartekd wrote:Or you could always buy the SIP unlock key, and use a generic SIP app from the app store to connect to it. I used Zoiper and it is good.
The only down side to that is you can't text through it which is a shame. The rates that Fongo sells their text packages for are way less that normal cell providers which for me is the reason why I use their app. Obviously other people's phone usage and need to use an existing FPL number will influence if signing up for a new number on Fongo is for them.

The good this is, we have options. It would be nice to pick all the good bits from each brand, but I think we have it fairly good non the less.