Grandstream HT-502 daily disconnect

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Lydiak
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ht502
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: rogers - cable
Computer OS: windows xp pro
Router: cisco - rogers modem/router

Grandstream HT-502 daily disconnect

Post by Lydiak »

Hi Everyone,

I have an ongoing problem with FPL services that I have setup on HT-502 devices. I have setup for various friends and most are having the same problem that the device looses registration daily, and incoming calls go direct to voicemail.

In some cases I use the device router functions and other I don't, so don't feel its a block port issue. The router part always functions even if the phone is not working.

I've tried changing various settings as well as upgrading the firmware and no improvements. I see other people have ditched this device in favor of Cisco/Linksys, which I'm considering...but have 6 of these HT-502 devices. Can anyone shed light on the issue ?
Lydia
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: Grandstream HT-502 daily disconnect

Post by Fongo Support »

Lydiak wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have an ongoing problem with FPL services that I have setup on HT-502 devices. I have setup for various friends and most are having the same problem that the device looses registration daily, and incoming calls go direct to voicemail.

In some cases I use the device router functions and other I don't, so don't feel its a block port issue. The router part always functions even if the phone is not working.

I've tried changing various settings as well as upgrading the firmware and no improvements. I see other people have ditched this device in favor of Cisco/Linksys, which I'm considering...but have 6 of these HT-502 devices. Can anyone shed light on the issue ?
Hi there,

Please go to the configuration of your HT502 and click on FXS1 (assuming this is your FPL line)
Find the NAT Transversal (STUN) and changed it from default setting No to to No, but send keep-alive.

Please ensure that keep alive interval is set to 20 seconds.

Update and reboot and this should fix your issue.

Thanks,
Funkytown
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 (SR5) Oct 14 2
ISP Name: Cik Telecom
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Zyxel EMG2926
Smartphone Model: LG G8 Thinq
Android Version: Android Q

Post by Funkytown »

Lydiak wrote:.but have 6 of these HT-502 devices.
My personal opinion with the Grandstream HT-502 Voip phone adapters, they are one of the easiest and friendliest machines that anyone can ever own. I own a Grandstream HT-502 and 2 other different models of Grandstream and none of them have ever let me down in several years.
Lydiak
Just Passing Thru

Post by Lydiak »

Checking back in for help with this device as I haven't been able to resolve the recent issues.

1. have 6 of these which I installed at friends houses and they worked fine for over a year ! I installed most in 2011.

2. Issues started around Dec 2012, where the unit would show as disconnected on the FPL site, and friends report calls going to voicemail/forward. Sometimes the unit would re-register on the FPL site, and other times remain disconnected for months.
3. The device is reporting locally as registered.

3. Have upgraded firmware to 1.0.9.1 (on my test unit), have factory reset unit, entered new FPL setup...etc.
4. Problem occurs if the device is set and used as a router, and the router function continues to operate ok.
5. Problem occurs if the device is connected to Roger's cable router/modem combo units.

I've set to "keep alive" with 20 sec. interval. Device status shows "unknown NAT" now, which differs from before.

thanks in advance for your help !
Lydia
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Post by 46jimbo »

Some people have found that changing the SIP Server to voip2.freephoneline.ca helps.
Lydiak
Just Passing Thru

Post by Lydiak »

Wanted to let you know that I got all my six HT-502 devices working well again !!

I upgraded to the newest firmware, corrected registration settings, etc..

While linksys is in seconds (3600), HT's are in minutes (60), and guess the new support doc with voip unlock key credentials messed me up...plus I've setup linksys devices as well and never really noticed this difference before.

YEH !
Lydia
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

That keep alive is awful short, should be around 250 seconds at the shortest. The only reason for the keep alive is to remind a brain dead router that the ATA still needs the ports. And usually they forget after 5 minutes. It is better to forward the appropriate port(s) so the router is not able to re-purpose it.

I suspect if you disable the keep alive and forward a RTP port to the ATA from the router (I believe port 5005 for the Grandstream) the problem will go away.