HT 286 ATA

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Pierre
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: ATA Grandstream (HT 286)
ISP Name: Northwind wireless
Computer OS: Vista, Window 7
Router: D Link DIR655

HT 286 ATA

Post by Pierre »

I am using an Handy Tone 286 ATA and a Cisco Linksys E1000 router for my VOIP system. Everything has been running great for almost 2 1/2 years. I have made absolutely no changes to the system.
Lately, about every 4 or 5 days, the red light flashes on the ATA, I then power off the ATA for about 15 to 20 minutes and every thing comes back to normal. During the time the red light flashes, I can't make or receive calls.
Anyone knows what would cause this problem? Do these ATA ever go bad?

Many thanks,
Pierre
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Re: HT 286 ATA

Post by Fongo Support »

Pierre wrote:I am using an Handy Tone 286 ATA and a Cisco Linksys E1000 router for my VOIP system. Everything has been running great for almost 2 1/2 years. I have made absolutely no changes to the system.
Lately, about every 4 or 5 days, the red light flashes on the ATA, I then power off the ATA for about 15 to 20 minutes and every thing comes back to normal. During the time the red light flashes, I can't make or receive calls.

Many thanks,
Pierre
Hi there,

Looks like you are not able to register to FPL servers when this happens.

This could be caused by :

a) A settings on your ATA
b) DNS error
c) ISP issue

I would probably check a) and b) first.

for b) please add opendns to your router
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIe2czBLTX0

Thanks,
ninja
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: window 7

Post by ninja »

Fongo Support wrote:
Pierre wrote:I am using an Handy Tone 286 ATA and a Cisco Linksys E1000 router for my VOIP system. Everything has been running great for almost 2 1/2 years. I have made absolutely no changes to the system.

Many thanks,
Pierre
Hi there,

b) DNS error
c) ISP issue

Thanks,
I have the same problem as Pierre. Just want a clarify answer for part b) why add opendns to router?
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

ninja wrote:
Fongo Support wrote:

Many thanks,
Pierre
Hi there,

b) DNS error
c) ISP issue

Thanks,
I have the same problem as Pierre. Just want a clarify answer for part b) why add opendns to router?
Hi there,

Because sometimes your ISP doesn't resolve certain host names. I do not know who is your ISP, but for Rogers, their build in DNS servers are not working very well.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r282437 ... net-access

Thanks,
46jimbo
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream 286
Router: Asus RT-N13U Rev.B1

Post by 46jimbo »

Both myself and my girlfriend have been having exactly the same issues with our Grandstream H286. This problem has just appeared recently, after many months of trouble free service.

I have changed both of our ata's to Grandstream H701's, and so far, the problem has gone away. There seems to be something going on with the H286 model, as a number of people are having this issue. I should note that the device was purchased from Freephoneline and and settings were entered by them in advance.
46jimbo
Active Poster

Post by 46jimbo »

Both myself and my girlfriend have been having exactly the same issues with our Grandstream H286. This problem has just appeared recently, after many months of trouble free service.

I have changed both of our ata's to Grandstream H701's, and so far, the problem has gone away. There seems to be something going on with the H286 model, as a number of people are having this issue. I should note that the device was purchased from Freephoneline and and settings were entered by them in advance.
lustucru
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-286
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.45
ISP Name: Bell Fibe 300/300
Computer OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 bits
Router: Bell hub 1000
Smartphone Model: Moto E
Android Version: Android 6.0

Post by lustucru »

The problem may be caused by the firmware.

Grandstream Web site (section Gateways and ATA's, Discontinued products but still supported) shows firmware release 1.1.0.45 for the HT286.

Enter the ATA IP address in your browser (you will get it by pressing *** on your phone set), password admin. Select "Status" and check "Software version, Program". It should show 1.1.0.45.

Also, in "Advanced Settings 2", check "Yes" for "Auto Upgrade" and check box "Always check for new firmware".
lukeke
Just Passing Thru

Post by lukeke »

is there a way to enter openDNS for HT286? The youtube show only apply to PAP2T ATA
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

lukeke wrote:is there a way to enter openDNS for HT286? The youtube show only apply to PAP2T ATA
Hi there,

There is, under Basic settings->DNS server 1 and DNS Server2.

Thanks,
46jimbo
Active Poster

Post by 46jimbo »

lustucru wrote:The problem may be caused by the firmware.

Grandstream Web site (section Gateways and ATA's, Discontinued products but still supported) shows firmware release 1.1.0.45 for the HT286.

Enter the ATA IP address in your browser (you will get it by pressing *** on your phone set), password admin. Select "Status" and check "Software version, Program". It should show 1.1.0.45.

Also, in "Advanced Settings 2", check "Yes" for "Auto Upgrade" and check box "Always check for new firmware".
My HT286 had an earlier version of the firmware and it wouldn't update to v1.1.0.45. Then I noticed that the download site in my ATA settings was not the same as the one indicated on the Grandstream website. So I copied the website's download address into the ATA, rebooted and voilà, the firmware updated. The correct address is "firmware.grandstream.com". It goes on the last page of the settings.

So far, after several days, the problem has not reocurred. Hopefully, this was the necessary fix. Thanks for the tip, lustucru!
Lydiak
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ht502
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: rogers - cable
Computer OS: windows xp pro
Router: cisco - rogers modem/router

Post by Lydiak »

I use Rogers internet and had similar issues.

Entered google's dns server as preferred = better !
Lydia
e1e0n
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: Windows

My service is not working...

Post by e1e0n »

Here is the problem: almost every day and even few times a day, I have to change in/out proxy value to make my adapter to sign in.

ie change viop.xxxx to voip2.xxx and back.... Simple rebooting does not help :((((((((((((((((((((((
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

e1e0n, check your timers. It could well be that you are being blocked on one server because your ATA is trying to register too frequently. All you are doing by changing servers is just giving the server time to forget you before you switch back to it.

Check your settings against the settings on this page http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials if they look right open a support ticket as Fongo Support may be able to see a problem with your connection their end.