Freephone Line Fair Usage Policy

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
nav
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: cisco
ISP Name: dsl bell

Freephone Line Fair Usage Policy

Post by nav »

Is there any fair usage policy for $50 VOIP Unlock key accounts? Or in other words is there a set number of minutes (maximum) that one use per month or is it unlimited?
maximebeauvais
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: OBi110
ISP Name: Bell Fibre 25/25
Router: Bell Home Hub 2000

Re: Freephone Line Fair Usage Policy

Post by maximebeauvais »

instead of paying 4.99 every month, you will pay 0$ at the end of the month ;)
so it is unlimited minute with the city speficed by freephoneline.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

I do not believe there is a limit to the amount of minutes you can use. You can even use the service for business use.

Fongo differs from other VOIP providers in that they will offer free calls to places they can call for free. Other VOIP providers can offer a more robust service, but some destinations cost them money, so they have to recover that by per minute pricing, which Fongo also does on areas that cost them money, or offer VOIP service at a flat fee. The problem with a flat fee is if it is too low, is if someone makes a lot of calls to areas that cost money, that eats into costs, so limiting the minutes is one way around that. It can get complicated quickly, so it is easier to have free calling areas, or a limit to minutes, or a high flat fee, or per minute billing, and you can choose depending on your needs.

Needless to say, you will be able to get quite a bit of use out of your $50 SIP settings.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

The only 'restriction' on calls that I am aware of is that you have to make or receive at least 1 call every 90 days to make you account stay active, otherwise it could be deemed inactive and closed. (they will try and contact you via email first however)

I do believe that restriction only applies for free accounts. I know from experience, I have had paid SIP settings accounts that were fallow for over 6 months without any issue. There is always I chance that I have been grandfathered, but I think everyone with paid accounts can keep them as long as they want.