Can't receive calls. "The number you are trying to reach..."

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
nauru
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys WRT54GS w/ Tomato

Can't receive calls. "The number you are trying to reach..."

Post by nauru »

"The number you are trying to reach is unavailable" message plays when I test my FPL phoneline. Nobody's calls are getting through, they just go straight to voicemail.

Please help?
Mango3
Quiet One

Re: Can't receive calls. "The number you are trying to reach

Post by Mango3 »

1) Has this ever worked or is this with a brand new new unlock key?

2) Are you able to make outgoing calls?

3) On the status page of your ATA, does the ATA show that it is registered?

4) If you change your ATA's SIP Port to a random number between 20000 and 65535, does that solve the problem?

5) Did you configure your ATA as per the official guide at http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16294 ?

6) Is your Register Expires set to 3600?

If you're able to provide the answers to these questions it will be easier for us to determine where the problem lies.

Good luck,
m.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

It could be that you have accidentally enable call forwarding or DND

Try calling *73 and *79 (hanging up between calls) to see if that fixes it.
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

Dang - I forgot that one! :P
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
nauru
Quiet One

Post by nauru »

1) Has this ever worked or is this with a brand new new unlock key? It's been functional for the last few years, but this issue or a similar one comes up on a fairly regular basis (couple of times per year).

2) Are you able to make outgoing calls? Yes, no problem with that.

3) On the status page of your ATA, does the ATA show that it is registered? Not sure, is this also the info page? An excerpt from my pap2t:

Hook State: On Registration State: Online
Last Registration At: 12/21/2014 09:58:36 Next Registration In: 352 s
Message Waiting: Yes Call Back Active: No
Last Called Number: *98 Last Caller Number:

4) If you change your ATA's SIP Port to a random number between 20000 and 65535, does that solve the problem? We'll see.

5) Did you configure your ATA as per the official guide at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16294 ? I used the official guide when I set it up. That link is not working for me. I'm not sure how often the official guide for the PAP2T changes, or whether it's possible to sign up for email notifications to be alerted when there's a setting that needs to be changed for the system to continue to work.

6) Is your Register Expires set to 3600? Yes.
Mango
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: OBi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
ISP Name: Telus
Router: Toastman Tomato

Post by Mango »

With regards to 3) 4), I should have specified that they should be done while the problem is happening. Since it only happens a couple of times a year, it may be more difficult to catch than I thought. Let's try all the solutions to the problem and hopefully one will work.

On your ATA's regional tab, remove the star code for Cfwd All Act Code and DND Act Code.
On your ATA's SIP tab, please set the following if not already set:
Reg Retry Intvl: 120
NAT Keep Alive Intvl: 20
On your ATA's Line 1/2 tab, verify that Nat Mapping Enable and NAT Keep Alive Enable are both set to Yes.

On your Tomato router's Advanced >> Conntrack/Netfilter page, set your UDP Timeout Unreplied to 10. Your UDP Timeout Assured should be greater than 20 and less than 120. 90 should be adequate. Further down in the Tracking / NAT Helpers section, disable SIP if you have that option.

After disabling the SIP Helper, test your setup to be sure you still have audio in both directions. Only if you can't hear anything, set the following on your ATA's SIP tab:

Handle VIA Received: Yes
Handle VIA rport: Yes
Substitute VIA Addr: Yes

The above settings are not necessary if you still have two-way audio after disabling SIP Helper.

Let us know how things go.
nauru
Quiet One

Post by nauru »

"With regards to 3) 4), I should have specified that they should be done while the problem is happening. Since it only happens a couple of times a year, it may be more difficult to catch than I thought. Let's try all the solutions to the problem and hopefully one will work."

Not sure what you mean here. The problem has persisted for the past several days and still persists. What exact page of the pap2t admin pages should I be looking at for a realtime change in the registration status? There are several fields that say something about 'register' or 'registration'. All seem to be in the affirmative.

#4 has not solved the issue. *73 and *79 has not solved the issue.

"After disabling the SIP Helper, test your setup to be sure you still have audio in both directions."
Not sure what this means. What is the SIP Helper, and how exactly do I disable it? And how do I test that there's audio in both directions, just make a phone call?

I've done everything in all posts in this thread except the bit about a SIP Helper and the stuff with "Handle VIA Received: Yes
Handle VIA rport: Yes
Substitute VIA Addr: Yes"

Same problem persists.

Thanks.
Mango
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: OBi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
ISP Name: Telus
Router: Toastman Tomato

Post by Mango »

Okay, thank you very much for clarifying.

It looks like you've exhausted my and Jake's ideas. I admit I do not know what is causing the problem. You did post the registration information I was looking for, but that indicates everything is working properly. If you wish, post a screenshot of the User tab of your PAP2T (either User 1 or User 2, depending on which port you are using for FreePhoneLine). Perhaps by inspecting that we will be able to see what is wrong.

Other troubleshooting ideas:
7) Change your Proxy from voip.freephoneline.ca to voip2.freephoneline.ca or vice versa.
8) Factory reset the PAP2T-NA and reconfigure as per http://qr.net/OmoL . If you're still unable to view this, send me a private message with your email address and I will email you the official guide.
9) If 8) doesn't work, and if you're up for it, install Wireshark, use it as a Debug/Syslog server, and inspect the SIP traffic between you and FPL.
10) Perhaps another forum member will have some suggestions.

Good luck.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I think I would start testing again. I think it is probably a setting in your ATA that is messing things up. This is how I would try and fix things.

1. Power down the ATA
2. Download x-lite and set up your FPL account information in it.(http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite-download)
3. Test calls in and out to see if they are working.

If the tests calls work fine, it is probably either your ATA going bad, or a setting in it.
If the tests calls do not work then it could be a problem with your account on FPL's side. In which case you will have to send in a support ticket. Also check that you have not tried to forward your calls to a non free call area.
Kataris
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Freephoneline
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Router: CGN2-ROG

Incoming on FPL goes instantly to voicemail

Post by Kataris »

I've tried many things, including forwarding the ports that FPL uses, restarting my router, reinstalling the desktop application, turning follow me settings off temporarily... None of it worked!

I've contacted technical support on their end, but I have not a clue what might be wrong here, or how I can go about fixing this issue.