Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
curt
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: OBi202
Firmware Version: 3.2.2 (Build: 8680EX
ISP Name: Bell
Computer OS: Mac OSX 12.0.1
Router: Asus RT-AC68U

Post by curt »

I'm using FPL with OBi202.

Is there a way to test FPL's 911 service, to ensure that it works, without actually bothering an emergency dispatcher?
FONGO_jeff
Site Moderator

Re: 911

Post by FONGO_jeff »

911 will function fine, just make sure you have updated your address information by logging into your account at http://www.freephoneline.ca
Lydiak
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ht502
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: rogers - cable
Computer OS: windows xp pro
Router: cisco - rogers modem/router

Post by Lydiak »

I did try out 911 on FPL and it works fine. Be sure it is setup in the dial plan as provided by FPL, and that the 911 address in your settings is correct !

If you do a test call ... tell them that it is a test call. Don't just hang up, as they will call you back !

If the person calling does not speak English, they should announce the language that they speak and the 911 operator will patch in a translation service.
Lydia
curt
Active Poster

Post by curt »

I just tested it as well and it seems to work.

The operator had my name, address and phone number. However, she said that she was with the National Centre, which is where all VoIP calls go to. She said that she had to transfer me to a local operator. When the local operator answered, the national operator said that I was making a test call with Fibernetics on VoIP. The local operator said that they didn't have time for test calls as they are busy. After that, my call was dropped.

I'll assume that 911 works.
Lydiak
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ht502
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: rogers - cable
Computer OS: windows xp pro
Router: cisco - rogers modem/router

Post by Lydiak »

I just noticed that FPL has a $35 charge for calling 911.

You may want to avoid doing test calls now unless you want to pay the new fee.

The 911 service does work..just make sure your dial plan is correctly setup.
Lydia
seagame2001
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by seagame2001 »

911 supposes to be free. $35 is over crazy price to pay.
Mango
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: OBi110
Firmware Version: 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)
ISP Name: Telus
Router: Toastman Tomato

Post by Mango »

Nothing is free - particularly call centres, infrastructure, and trained staff on duty 24/7/365.
curt
Active Poster

Post by curt »

Mango wrote:Nothing is free - particularly call centres, infrastructure, and trained staff on duty 24/7/365.
Especially if it's part of the public sector. Even though you may not have a pension, you'll need to pay the public sector employee pensions, which are worth $1+ million each.
Le loup
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Cisco spa 112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Vidéotron Cable
Computer OS: win 10
Router: linksys EA4500

Post by Le loup »

hi, my main concern about 911 is did FPL (Fongo) server will make the call even if my balance is under 35$ this scare me more then test call emergency dispatch.
Mango
Tried and True

Post by Mango »

You will be able to make a 911 call. (But you will be asked to bring your balance back up after.) 911 should not be used for test calls.
Le loup
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Cisco spa 112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Vidéotron Cable
Computer OS: win 10
Router: linksys EA4500

Post by Le loup »

Thank you Mango for your answer. but did you know the name of the 3rd party emergency dispatch company that FPL (Fongo) use. Because i check on internet and some 3rd party emergency dispatch company was possibility to do a scheduled test call at no charge.
Mango
Tried and True

Post by Mango »

Northern 911 is the only VoIP 911 call centre in Canada that I'm aware of. Most likely, they use Northern 911, or a reseller.

However, a FPL rep here in the forums stated earlier that the fee is always charged, "especially" for test calls. I suggest you do not use FPL for testing 911.
lheathl
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA-2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.12
ISP Name: Distributel-Cogeco (NOT BELL)
Computer OS: xp/win7
Router: Linksys 2700
Smartphone Model: Galaxy

Post by lheathl »

There is a workaround for the 9-1-1 charge...I think.

Here's the workaround that I configured and use...basically I set up a quick dial sequence.

I configured the dial plan on my Linksys SPA-2102 so that a 9-1-1 call dials our local 10 digit emergency number, in our case that number is 5193372341. Some communities or campus' may even have their own response personal so you could even enter their number in the place of the PD emergency number (heck, you could enter any number you want really). I'm not sure if you'd end up with a fine just the same for using this configuration or not, I'm pretty sure not though. Every PD or emergency call centres have an actual 10 digit number that is answered 24/7 for emergencies, otherwise alarm dispatch companies (for example) would not be able to reach emergency services to dispatch an alarm, they would just get their local emergency call centre for whatever city they're base in if they were to simply dial 9-1-1. You see the problem right? I am pretty sure alarm companies have been dealing with 9-1-1 call problems since the inception of 911 and most will have an exhaustive list of emergency numbers. If anyone here works for an alarm company they may be able to help and list common 10 digit emergency numbers, maybe even post those numbers on a separate thread? I suggest looking the numbers up or even calling the non-emergency PD number and ask them for the 10-digit number to reach emergency services, if only for information to send to your alarm company (whether or not you have an alarm).

My dial plan is (<911:5193372341>S0|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|98*|[6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.|*98|1900xxxxxxx!|900xxxxxxx!|) and seems to work well in our case because police/fire/ambulance are all dispatched from our local PD. To test, just change the number, (5193372341 in our case) to your cell phone number and be sure to 'save'. If it goes through to the number you entered, then assuming you have the correct number for emergency services the call should be routed through without a problem. We keep an emergency cell phone in the house just in case.

from another forum found here hxxp://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21304684-10-d ... n-Montreal

"...In every case, to acquire the appropriate number, I called the published, non-emergency number for the police department and asked, "Do you have a regular telephone number that's answered 24/7 by the police, fire, and rescue emergency dispatch center?" In all cases, I was given the appropriate telephone number without fuss. I didn't even burden them with an explanation that I was using VoIP - just that I needed the phone number. In one instance, I was told that this question is routinely asked by installers of burglar/fire alarm systems."

Like you said, with the appropriate number, it's a simple matter of incorporating it to your dial plan so it will be called whenever anyone dials 911. "
Mango
Tried and True

Post by Mango »

lheathl wrote:Every PD or emergency call centres have an actual 10 digit number that is answered 24/7 for emergencies
Actually not every PSAP has a 10-digit number.

The downside to doing it this way is that the call centre does not have your address, if you are unable to speak.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I have to be honest, if I ever did need to call for help I would gladly pay whatever amount needed to get the assistance that might mean life or death (to be dramatic but I am sure you understand what I mean).

From my understanding you get charged a 911 fee with most phone lines over her (I am from the UK so it works a little differently), so in a way you are saving those small amounts everyone else is paying every month only to have to pay it out in one chuck if you need it. I wish the insurance companies worked like that!!

I understand it is a charge that didn't used to be there, and change is hard. This coming from an English man :) If Fongo are getting charged every time someone calls 911 for testing or in earnest, then we probably can't expect them to pay for that and still survive on the $50 we pay for the config file and the pittance they get from the termination calls. They have to keep the infrastructure going and I am sure that is not free. It was more than likely a necessary change more than one out of greed, one that will allow this service to continue. This service that over the long run I am sure has saved all of us countless $35s.
manthi
Just Passing Thru

911 $35 fee

Post by manthi »

i just logged to my account, (i rarely do) and i noticed there is a $35 fee now each time we make a 911 call, when was this implemented, i don't recall such fee when i signed up few years ago.
also i do not have a credit above $5, does this mean, the 911 won't go through?
johnsnow
Just Passing Thru

Post by johnsnow »

it was implemented this year, as far as i understand 911 calls will always work even if your funds are low.You will need to pay off the balance after the emergency if you want to keep your account in good standing. It would be dumb if people could not use 911 just because they have a zero balance.