Can't call the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) using home phone?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
pete_fpl
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6
ISP Name: Fibrestream
Router: D-Link DIR-601 N 150

Can't call the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) using home phone?

Post by pete_fpl »

I was trying to call the CRA this week, but got a busy signal every time I tried. Called using Google Hangouts, and a cell phone (Virgin), but got busy signals with each as well; just assumed they were busy. Then I tried another cell phone today (Wind) and got through, weird. Figured this was a less busy time, but when I tried again using my home phone, got the busy signal again.

What is happening? I read on the CRA website a voip or Skype call may result in a busy signal because it doesn't recognize what area code you're calling from, but considering my home phone is a 647 #, not not a Skype call, shouldn't it work?
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: Can't call the CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) using home ph

Post by bridonca »

The CRA line is extremely busy most of the time. There might be an issue with Fongo, and CRA, but I doubt it. You just got lucky on what you used to call. Call the CRA when it is closed, and see what happens.
pete_fpl
Active Poster

Post by pete_fpl »

bridonca wrote:The CRA line is extremely busy most of the time. There might be an issue with Fongo, and CRA, but I doubt it. You just got lucky on what you used to call. Call the CRA when it is closed, and see what happens.
Just tried again now (they're closed), got a busy signal. Tried using a cell phone, heard a recording they weren't available. Wanna give it a try? 1-800-714-7257
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

I do not have Fongo Home Phone, but I used the Fongo Android client and the call to CRA went through. Using the same Android phone, I also punched in the Free Phone Line SIP settings into the default Android SIP client, and made a call to the CRA. That call also went through. So I am not sure if there is a problem with Fongo home phone, or your configuration, and I am not sure what the problem is on your end sadly. If there is anyone with Fongo Home Phone here that wants to try calling the CRA, it would be appreciated if any results were put forward.
pete_fpl
Active Poster

Post by pete_fpl »

I called again today and got through using the home phone, so at this point I'm not sure what's happening lol It's just a little weird that I called yesterday when it was also closed and couldn't connect, but using a cell phone I got through just fine. I don't intend to call them very often, so it's not a big deal, but figured I'd post here just in case :)