G729 Codec

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
koreyb
Quiet One

G729 Codec

Post by koreyb »

I just noticed that only G711 codec seems to be working.

I'm using this service with a very slow DSL connection (LITE) and being able to force G729 would clear up audio problems.

When i set this up, incoming calls quit working and go direct to vmail.

Is there any way to correct this?

Thanx
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Re: G729 Codec

Post by bridonca »

I suspect your codec selection has little to do with you no longer getting incoming calls. You have a NAT routing issue. To confirm my guess, plug the ATA directly into the modem. If it works, you need to forward ports.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

bridonca wrote:I suspect your codec selection has little to do with you no longer getting incoming calls. You have a NAT routing issue. To confirm my guess, plug the ATA directly into the modem. If it works, you need to forward ports.
Actually this was just the case. The PAP2T setup used (maybe it still is?) to be to set the codec to g729 with 'use pref codec' to yes, forcing it to use g729.

It was found that many calls were going straight to answer phone with this setup. It was something to do with the fact both ends could not find a common codec to work together so the connection was never made, thus it went to answer phone. Changing the 'use pref codec' to no, allowed the PAP2T to select a codec that worked on both sides.

This was one of the threads about it http://forum.freephoneline.ca/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=633

As for the OP problem, sorry I can't suggest a work around for you.
koreyb
Quiet One

Post by koreyb »

It would seem support for G729 is no longer and they are only supporting G711

OR

They don't realize it's broken.

I've also noticed now there is only 2 channels that work per box.. If you have 2 accounts and have both channels in use on one account, the other account's incoming calls get a message that the account is busy.

I can see putting this restriction per line, but to restrict per PAP box, thats a little extreme.. but again.. It's FREE.

They really need to bring back G729 support fully.
koreyb
Quiet One

Post by koreyb »

bridonca wrote:I suspect your codec selection has little to do with you no longer getting incoming calls. You have a NAT routing issue. To confirm my guess, plug the ATA directly into the modem. If it works, you need to forward ports.
Nope.. G711 works perfect.. It's a codec issue.
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator
SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Post by FONGO_kris »

koreyb wrote:I can see putting this restriction per line, but to restrict per PAP box, thats a little extreme.
We are working to resolve this issue - Currently this is what is SUPPOSED to happen:

Call #1: In/Out-Ongoing
Call #2: In-Waiting
Call #3: Out/In-Account Already In Use

Now there is a bug re: FollowMe also following the same rule as call waiting on the channel restriction side which we are aware of and working to resolve ASAP.

-->THE BUG<--

Call #1: In/Out-To FollowMe
Call #2: FollowMe-Ongoing
Call #3: Out/In-Account Already In Use

On all accounts, "Call #3" is valid, you should only be able to do the following:

1 Call INCOMING
2 Call WAITING
3 Call VOICEMAIL/FOLLOWME

This issue with this is having voicemail, followme, and call waiting all at the same time would require 6 channels that could otherwise be use to make 6 outgoing calls, which is why it is restricted right now until we find an appropriate work through to resolve this issue.
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
koreyb
Quiet One

Post by koreyb »

Hey Kris,

Wouldn't it be just as easy to allow 4 channels PER LINE... that leaves reasonable room for follow me.

I think though instead of getting a message "ACCOUNT IS IN USE" I would rather it either went to voicemail or put a busy signal on the callers line. I've had a few confused people wondering why they got that message.

I have 3 SIP accounts (3 different numbers) and have ran into issues with Line 1 being in use and Line 2 being used but then line 3 gets the "account is in use" message when no one is on it. The only thing that ties these together is they all terminate on the same Asterisk box. (I use this as it gives me much better control locally to route calls and voicemail etc)

Ideally under the 2 Channels logic, I should have access to 2 per line = 6 channels

Hopefully this helps.

As for G729. Is there any word on when this would be coming back? The ability as before to use G711 and G729 is quite beneficial, especially on lower speed connections, when only voice is required.
koreyb
Quiet One

Post by koreyb »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there has been any luck with the return of the G729 codec availablity?

Thanks