Wine (Linux "emulator" for Windows)

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
THUFIR
Quiet One
ISP Name: SHAW
Computer OS: LINUX
Router: NO ROUTER

Wine (Linux "emulator" for Windows)

Post by THUFIR »

Anyone have success with running the softphone GUI client from Wine? From the wine website:

" Freephoneline is a free application for windows to make calls from phone-to-pc or from pc-to-phone. You are able to make calls with wine and receive them however the sound transfer does not work.

This noaw not been tested for pc-to-pc

Version Description Rating Wine version Test results Comments
Does not specify does not specify (20.4 mb version) Garbage 1.1.32 1 0"
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=10591

thanks,

Thufir
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Wine (Linux "emulator" for Windows)

Post by Jake »

THUFIR wrote:Anyone have success with running the softphone GUI client from Wine?
I tried but could not get it running properly. I ended up with a VirtualBox installed with windows, so I ran it under that instead. Wine has been very hit and miss with me, and to be honest a lot of the time I don't even bother as I got fed up with it failing or just part working.
THUFIR
Quiet One

Post by THUFIR »

Jake wrote:
THUFIR wrote:Anyone have success with running the softphone GUI client from Wine?
I tried but could not get it running properly. I ended up with a VirtualBox installed with windows, so I ran it under that instead. Wine has been very hit and miss with me, and to be honest a lot of the time I don't even bother as I got fed up with it failing or just part working.

I think it's the codecs.
NetScr1be
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: GrandStream HT287 Rev4.1
Firmware Version: Program-- 1.1.0.42
ISP Name: Acanac
Computer OS: Windows XP & 7 & Linux
Router: LinkSys WRT54G

Post by NetScr1be »

I got it to run but no audio
THUFIR
Quiet One

Post by THUFIR »

NetScr1be wrote:I got it to run but no audio

Ditto. I think it's codec problem.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I recently tried the FPL client with Linux Wine under Ubuntu but with the same result as everyone else above.... does not work. Out of curiosity,
I tried the Spokn (my local Number provider and some outgoing) Windows client on the same install of Wine and was quite suprised to find
that it installed quickly and worked first time (incoming and outgoing). If anything it worked a bit better on Linux than it did on Windows Vista. Perhaps the way for Fongo to support
Linux really might be to adjust the Windows of their client version so that it runs under Wine as well or better than the Spokn client. I suspect that the support
of advertising might be one problem but I haven't the time to debug it.
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Post by Bloodsong »

Because of the way the FPL client is designed it will be a difficult project to get it running inside of WINE.
As far as codecs go, there are TONS of free linux softphones in existence, so strike that from your thoughts ;)

But as FPL is a multi-piece java based program you can expect to have a lot of tweaking to get a stable environment.
FPL is so Java reliant that my cousin's computer with a somewhat broken install of JRE cannot even install FPL.

see:

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

http://winetricks.fanhow.com/winetricks-jre-java

http://code.google.com/p/winetricks/
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

Bloodsong wrote:Because of the way the FPL client is designed it will be a difficult project to get it running inside of WINE.
As far as codecs go, there are TONS of free linux softphones in existence, so strike that from your thoughts ;)

But as FPL is a multi-piece java based program you can expect to have a lot of tweaking to get a stable environment.
FPL is so Java reliant that my cousin's computer with a somewhat broken install of JRE cannot even install FPL.
Linux softphones are not much use for running DellVoice is you have not purchased the $50 configuration codes which I am not likely to do until/if they give out St. John's NL DIDs. I think there are more Linux users around than is generally supposed so it would be additional customer base for Fongo.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

I wonder if you would have better luck running an android stack, and using the dell voice android client? I have not done it of course, but it would be an interesting experiment!
Bloodsong
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Zoiper| Grandstream GXP2000
ISP Name: Tek Savvy Internet (DSL)
Computer OS: CentOS, Arch, Widows 7, AIX, AS/400
Router: Cisco ASA 5520
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy Ace Q
Android Version: 2.3.6

Post by Bloodsong »

bridonca wrote:I wonder if you would have better luck running an android stack, and using the dell voice android client? I have not done it of course, but it would be an interesting experiment!
Hey Bri, long time...

Seems like a worthy test to me... someone want to try this?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-R ... 5152.shtml