Fax sound

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
maximebeauvais
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: OBi110
ISP Name: Bell Fibre 25/25
Router: Bell Home Hub 2000

Fax sound

Post by maximebeauvais »

ok, when people call home, sometime after one ring, there is a kind of fax sound and then the connection hangup

sometime, it is after 5 ring, i guest it is just before the voicemail go on....instead it is a weird fax sound.

i have just tested this and yes, it did happen to me, the second time that I called.

help please to fix this.

PS: i'm using ata obi100, i have looked in the search and could not see anything
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Re: Fax sound

Post by maximebeauvais »

ok more testing.

I have done 4 call.
1 call: I was able to leave a voicemail
2nd call: I have waited like 5 min and did a call and instead of the voicemail intro message, it was the fax sound and hangup automaticly
3rd call: same as #2
4rd call: I was able to leave a voicemail.

this thing start to piss me off and my family

I understand that it is free, that need to do a lot of setting but OMG, I can't wait the day that everything work fine. it's been around a month and always some problem.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

maximebeauvais wrote:ok more testing.

I have done 4 call.
1 call: I was able to leave a voicemail
2nd call: I have waited like 5 min and did a call and instead of the voicemail intro message, it was the fax sound and hangup automaticly
3rd call: same as #2
4rd call: I was able to leave a voicemail.

this thing start to piss me off and my family

I understand that it is free, that need to do a lot of setting but OMG, I can't wait the day that everything work fine. it's been around a month and always some problem.
Hi there,

re->this thing start to piss me off and my family

Please try this:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16714

regards,
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

thanks for the quick reply.

I will give it a try when I get home.

I hope that everything will be fine ;)
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

maximebeauvais wrote:thanks for the quick reply.

I will give it a try when I get home.

I hope that everything will be fine ;)
Hi there,

I hope so too.

Let us know.

best regards,
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Fongo Support wrote:
Please try this:

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16714

regards,
i have the same setting.

no time to so some test today but tomorrow I will follow up to see if I still heard weird fax sound.

thanks
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

Is it possible that some device in your household is answering incoming calls, such as a home alarm system? If you have anything more than a phone connected to your OBi, or your OBi is connected to your household wiring, try to connect a phone directly to your OBi and see if the problem persists.

If what I suggested does not solve the problem, you need to check your OBi's Call Status while you are hearing the sound. If you see "Number of Active Calls: 0", you should report the issue to FPL's support for further investigation. If there is a call in progress, then you need to investigate your equipment further.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Mango3 wrote:Is it possible that some device in your household is answering incoming calls, such as a home alarm system? If you have anything more than a phone connected to your OBi, or your OBi is connected to your household wiring, try to connect a phone directly to your OBi and see if the problem persists.

If what I suggested does not solve the problem, you need to check your OBi's Call Status while you are hearing the sound. If you see "Number of Active Calls: 0", you should report the issue to FPL's support for further investigation. If there is a call in progress, then you need to investigate your equipment further.
hummm, I do have an alarm system. It is still connected to phone line but it is not live anymore. I will try to unplug the alarm wire just to see if it could do a difference.

thanks for the tip
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

well, I have deconnected the alarm all weekend and my friend told me that when he call, it is still making fax sound (not always but 2 time out of 5). Also, when someone call me, if I answer, I can hear people but they could not hear me (again this does happen around 1 call every 5-6 times).

any solution to stop this?

like I said, most of the time, everything is fine execpt those 2 thing (fax sound and people not able to hear me)
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

maximebeauvais wrote:well, I have deconnected the alarm all weekend and my friend told me that when he call, it is still making fax sound (not always but 2 time out of 5). Also, when someone call me, if I answer, I can hear people but they could not hear me (again this does happen around 1 call every 5-6 times).

any solution to stop this?

like I said, most of the time, everything is fine execpt those 2 thing (fax sound and people not able to hear me)
Hi there,

re->any solution to stop this?

I suggest to open a support ticket to have your account checked.

regards,
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

The only things that I know that make fax noises are fax machines, or modems. What I think I would do is unplug everything from your ATA (where you would normally plug the phone I mean) and then call your number a bunch of times and see if you get the fax sound. If you still get the sounds check your online call logs and make sure that each call you placed it actually being sent to your ATA and that there is nothing strange in your log against the call.

If your call logs all look fine and you still get the noises, next I would take out the ATA (unplug it completely) and make calls to your number again. Your calls will eventually start going to your voicemail (I believe there is still a delay between your ATA going offline and the FPL system knowing your are offline so the calls you make initially may just keep ringing and ringing or go to dead air). This will test your account on the FPL system. If you still get the noises then it can only be on FPL's side as you have nothing connected that could effect the call.

If you no longer get the fax noises with the ATA disconnected, download the free x-lite softphone (Google it) and set up your account on that. Again repeat calling your number and see if you get the noises or not. If you do I would next start looking at your router, although I can't think what it could be doing. If you don't hear the noises any more with just the x-lite connected then I would look into your ATA being at fault. Factory reset it and set it up again, or try and get another ATA to test.

I don't think this problem has come up before on the forum, so you are going to have to do a bit of digging and testing unfortunately. The tests above should test each part of the system by elimination and substutution which is usually what I do when trying to nail down a fault like this.

Let us know how you get on.
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

Jake,

thanks for your fast reply.

I will do some testing for sure !!!
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

ok i was able to perform some test today.

1) ! did remove my phone line from my ATA. I have done over 20 calls with my cell phone to my home # and no problem at all. so that tell me that the problem is not with FPL or with my ATA.
2) I have put back my phone line in my ATA. After the second call, I can hear that fax sound....that's not good :(
3) I decided to unplug my alarm system again....in fact, I was able to unplug completely my alarm system, last time, I did not unplug the good wire.
4) so now, my phone line is connected to my ATA, my alarm system wire is unplug from my phone line. i have done like 10-15 call without any fax sound :)

so far, everything is fine. i will leave my alarm system unplug when I come home every day. I hope that this will fix my problem.

however, it is weird that my alarm system was doing that kind of noise??? someone know the why?
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

If you have the old dial up type of communicator in your alarm system, then it is just basically a modem. I was an alarm engineer back in the UK and I would strongly suggest that your alarm system is NOT on your main phone number. All someone would need to do is call your house before they broke in and the dialler would not be able to get out. Also if you are on the phone when you need to, say, hit a panic button then it won't be able to call for help. Phones also get left off hook by accident.

I don't know how alarm systems are like over here, and I also have no idea how your system is set up so it is difficult for me to suggest anything. Your alarm system should start complaining if you disconnect your communicator and it might also get a reaction from your monitoring company if they check to see if your line is still OK. You will have to have a think how best to have your system set up, and maybe talk to your alarm company, but personally I would get a separate ATA (if it works on VOIP that is) so my main phone line would not be effected by the alarm system in any way. I know this would mean buying a new ATA and unlock key, but it would be worth it for me.

Some people have reported that their alarm systems do not work over VOIP, so I would make a point of testing it with your alarm company to make sure it is all working as expected.
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

maximebeauvais wrote:my alarm system wire is unplug from my phone line. i have done like 10-15 call without any fax sound :)
Booyah! :mrgreen:
Jake wrote:All someone would need to do is call your house before they broke in and the dialler would not be able to get out. Also if you are on the phone when you need to, say, hit a panic button then it won't be able to call for help. Phones also get left off hook by accident.
The alarm systems here are wired to be able to seize a line, in case a phone is in use or off hook. Since the OP doesn't use his system any more, I think it can safely be left unplugged.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
maximebeauvais
Active Poster

Post by maximebeauvais »

My alarm system is probably 10 years old, so a modem make sense.
I'M not connected to the central anymore so I will leave me alarm unplug. A friend of my friend is a techy for bell so I will ask him to take a look at the wiring of the alarM.
Thanks everyone for your help.