Weird issue

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
rami1979
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Ciscio SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.35
ISP Name: Distributel
Computer OS: Windows 8
Router: Belkin

Weird issue

Post by rami1979 »

Hey,

I am currently setting up my third freephonline account ... this time it's for my in laws and I'm having this weird issue. I purchased the Cisco SPA112 for them brand new and unlocked; updated the firmware version to the latest 1.35 XU, and followed this link for the configuration http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16206. The line worked really well when I set it up at my house; a bit of lag but nonetheless really well.

Of course when I get the ATA set up and installed at my in law's house I can't hear anything from the person on the other end of the line. The person on the other end says that they hear me fine but I can't hear anything from my end. I reset the ATA, re-did the configuration, and power cycled the router and modem but no luck.

Any ideas how I can fix that one?

Thank you,
Rami
Jake
Technical Support

Re: Weird issue

Post by Jake »

Do they have Rogers as their ISP?
rami1979
Just Passing Thru

Post by rami1979 »

They have the same ISP that I have Distributel, which I guess is a third party of rogers, and the same plan that I have. The only difference is that they have a newer modem than I do. Could that be blocking anything. I will try the rogers proxy just in case.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Quite possibly. Let us know how you get on.
bridonca
Technical Support
SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Post by bridonca »

I would be more apt to place blame on the inlaws modem. A lot of modem/router combos make for cruddy routers, even the newer ones. Who makes the modem?

I do not know how awful your in laws modem/router is. You might be able to forward ports to the ATA, but I have run across some modem/router combos that were a lost cause. You might be better off putting the modem/router in bridge mode and getting a proper router, preferably one that is DD-WRT friendly.
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

When you use the Rogers proxy, don't forget to also change your SIP Port to 6060.

If that doesn't work, set Symmetric RTP to Yes and test.

If THAT doesn't work, return Symmetric RTP to the defualt of No, make a note of your ATA's RTP Port Min and RTP Port Max (by default 16384-16482), and use your router to forward these UDP ports to your ATA.

One of these should solve your problem.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
rami1979
Just Passing Thru

Post by rami1979 »

Thank you everyone for the many suggestions. Unfortunately after trying every suggestion mentioned above I am still facing the same problem. Here is what I tried so far:
1. Using the rogers proxy address: voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. with/without changing the SIP TCP max range to 6060
2. Changing the Symmetric RTP to Yes
3. Creating a forwarding rule on the router to map UDP ports 16384-16482 to the same internal ports
4. Changing the Third Preferred Codec to unspecified.
5. Tried the ATA at a third persons house who has FTTN as opposed to cable
6. Reset the ATA back to factory settings and re-did the configuration once again.

Next step I think I am going to take my own router and try that at my in-laws house. I can't think of anything else to try out here.

I remember a few years back when I set up my first freephonline ATA for my dad the same thing happened and someone from fongo had to reset the account from their end. Could that be the case again?

Thank you very much
Rami
Mango3
Quiet One

Post by Mango3 »

SIP TCP is the wrong setting. I believe on your ATA it is called SIP Port. If that and your own router does not help, you may want to ask FPL for support as you seem to have exhausted the possibilities of a configuration issue causing your problem.
Is your router as secure as you think it is? Find out with this simple test: http://toao.net/580
Rana63
One Hit Wonder

Post by Rana63 »

Desktop Application Freephoneline Software Test Connection Error......

Regarding the above error I sent the following e-mail contents, Please comment if you can rectify this error.

Dear Sir,
My account username is rana.tahir1939@gmail.com, My Phone Number is 5874873764.

I intend to use my number from Pakistan and I am having an error in test connection and the details are below:

Test Connection:

Results : Timeout Expired

Data Transfer : Unable to send / Receive sound data! Port 13000 should be available

Possible Reasons :
1:) Your firewall / router is blocking the VOIP traffic between freephonline and server. If so please unblock the freephoneline application by your firewall. Make sure that ports 6060 and 13000 are not blocked.
2) The SIP traffic is filtered for your internet connection.
if so please consult your ISP, to allow the SIP traffic to your computer.
3) Ports 6060 and / or 13000 are used by another application / process.

We have tried to sort out reason No 1 and please guide us to sort out other reasons
I believe port 13000 is being used by another application / process if so please guide us how to disable the use of port 13000 and how to enable it for the software.

We are using virtual private connection with Local Area Network Connection...

Note: Freephoneline Software does not run through local IP so we are using another IP through Virtual Private Connection.

Prompt reply will be appreciated..

Sincerely Your's
Rana