SIP Proxy Server Issue

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
ckkatan
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

SIP Proxy Server Issue

Post by ckkatan »

As per FPL FAQ, I can use the following SIP proxy servers depending on ISP:
- VoIP.freephoneline.ca
- VoIP2.freephoneline.ca, or
- VoIP4.freephoneline.ca (for Rogers only)

It seems to me that none of the above proxy servers work (cannot register, or register, but can't receive calls) with my setup (Primus SpeedTouch 516v6 modem, Linksys E3000 router and Cisco SPA122 ATA). However, it seems to work fine with an undocumented proxy server (VoIP3.freephoneline.ca).

What is the different for the VoIP3 proxy server (in comparison with VoIP/VoIP2 and VoIP4)?

Can I continue to use the VoIP3 proxy server? Is there an alternative of VoIP3 proxy server in case VoIP3 is not reachable?

Thanks.
Jake
Technical Support

Re: SIP Proxy Server Issue

Post by Jake »

The first 2 servers definitely work, I use them and the forum would be flooded with posts if they didn't :)

I was a little confused to what errors you were getting " (cannot register, or register, but can't receive calls) " but it could just be me reading this bit wrong. If you can't register then you won't be able to make calls or receive them.

A note with the voip4 server, you also have to use the special port (6060 instead of 5060). Double check your registration timers, this is a common reason for people not staying connected to the servers. FPL have a block where if you try and register / re-register too often it will put you in a sin bin for a while. Changing server will fix this for a while, until that server blocks you as well. By this time the other server has usually dropped it's block which is why it will normally work again by switching back to the first server.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Post by ckkatan »

Hi Jake,

For VoIP and VoIP2 servers, the ATA box was able to register my account. Outgoing calls work, but incoming calls only ring once and then busy signal (maybe the system has not completed the handshakings). I will try it again later tonight.

Thanks for VoIP4 SIP port information. I will test this out as well by changing the SIP port on my ATA when using VoIP4.

Can you PM me about VoIP3 server question?

FYI, my best configuration is Router <-> ATA <-> Modem in order for both FPL softphone and desk phone to work properly due to SIP ALG setting on my router.

If ATA <-> Router <-> Modem configuration, only softphone or desk phone will work if SIP ALG is disabled or enabled, respectively. Do you have any other suggestions that I should tests for this configuration so that both FPL softphone and desk phone will work properly? If you need more information, I can email/PM to you the equipment details.

Thanks.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

Just as a quick note, I would suggest making one of the other servers work (not voip3). I just read the notes on the guidelines page (http://support.freephoneline.ca/entries ... redentials) and it says this :-
Use of Fongo SIP Servers that are not listed in this document will result in your account being suspended.
voip3 isn't a documented server. It could be a special server or a test server. Either way they might get upset if you use it. I do not have any inside knowledge of what this server is used for, if anything.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Post by ckkatan »

Hi Jake,

I was able to make VoIP and VoIP4:6060 work for my setup after making sure the registration was completed (i.e. waiting for more than 1 minute before making outgoing and incoming calls).

Based on the ping and tracert results, I opt to setup my ATA with VoIP.FPL.ca. I will park at this server for now.

I am still working on a solution for connecting the ATA box behind the Router while both the softphone and desk phone will work. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

I'm sure you know, but you can't have the desktop app and ATA logged into the same account at the same time, it just won't work properly however you set it up - not reliably anyway. Only one device can log into an account at one time.

If they are separate accounts, then I don't know. I would say everything should work behind the router so double check all static IPs set, and port forwards to make sure there is no a conflict. Here I can have an unlock key account, desktop app account, and a fongo account all connected at once without issues so it is possible.

I do know a lot of people have have problems with the SIP ALG, and generally it has been that they are better off switching it off. Personally I have never come into contact with it so I can't really advise you other than to switch it off and try and make it work with static ip for the ATA and port forwarding if needed.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Post by ckkatan »

Thanks.