Help! My account number is not valid? Account deleted?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Help! My account number is not valid? Account deleted?

Postby fizikz » 01/31/2020

When I try to make a call in the freephoneline desktop application, I get a message saying "This account number is not valid." !

So I tried to log into my account at https://www.freephoneline.ca/login and it fails with "wrong email or password". I'm sure it's not wrong because I use a password manager.

I got no warning emails, and the number/account was working a month ago, at the end of December 2019.

What's going on? Can I please get some help? It's quite a nasty surprise. I hope I don't lose my number.

EDIT: I just realized this has happened before, and I have a thread about it: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17456 This time, I'm sure I made outgoing calls multiple times in the last 90 days. I'll open a ticket at http://support.fongo.com/anonymous_requests/new and hope support sorts things out.

EDIT2: I notice "Voice Services" and "Account Services" have a "Degraded Performance" status at https://status.fongo.com/ Maybe that's part of the issue.
fizikz
Quiet One

Re: Help! My account number is not valid? Account deleted?

Postby fizikz » 02/01/2020

Unbelievable. This is the response I got:

Technical Support (Fongo Support)
Feb 1, 1:16 PM EST

It appears as though your account has been deleted due to inactivity. Please check our deletion policy FAQs for full details (https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... t-deleted- and http://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en-u ... t-deleted-).

That's it? Completely ignoring the information I provided, and offering no assistance. Silently losing one's number and account is rather panic-inducing.

After this same nasty surprise a few years ago, I made SURE to place outgoing calls every single month (calendar event), so there is absolutely no way it was inactive for 90 days.
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Jake » 02/02/2020

That's unfortunate. I'm going to guess that their system is automated rather than someone going through the accounts one by one, so if it was deemed up for deletion there was probably a reason for it.

If the number is important to you, then it looks like there is a way to get it back if it hasn't been reallocated.
I would also suggest to look into the unlock key which will save any worry about losing your number.

I'm sure you can understand why they reclaim dormant numbers, as it does cost them to both maintain that number and buy additional resources to get additional numbers for new customers.

If you are sure you placed and completed a call within the last month (and can remember to who), is it possible you can get the call logs for that number? If you had proof that your number was used they might work with you in restoring your account.
You obviously can't get to the call logs for the deleted number now.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby fizikz » 02/02/2020

Thanks for the reply, Jake. After several exchanges Tech Support helped me register a new account (again!) and today managed to restore my old number. So that's good.

However, I still don't know what happened. Tech Support insisted it was due to inactivity, saying they triple checked and were sure. There must be something wrong in the system because I'm 100% sure I made *outgoing* calls every single month and checked the call logs in the account to make sure they registered. I have a calendar reminder for it. That is actually how I noticed the problem.

I just remembered that the FPL app also has a call history, even if I don't have access to my old account's call logs anymore:

Like I said, I'm absolutely certain my account was not inactive for 90 days, or even one month. I wonder if they've changed their definition of inactivity, or if their systems had a glitch maybe due to the recent migrations. Either way it's been a bad surprise.

On Monday I will call Fongo to try to get to the bottom of this. I want to make sure this doesn't happen again.
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Jake » 02/03/2020

I wonder if this latest maintenance they had has confused something. It certainly looks like you have been calling every month.

The definition of an account being 'active' has changed over the years, but it should be what they have on their site now. Before all the FAQ pages were in place a FPL staff member said that just logging into the website was enough to keep the account active; this isn't the case now however.

I would be interested in know if they give a reason for the deletion of your account. We obviously have a few people come by here with the same problems and if there is something new we should be looking out for it would be handy to know.

Glad you are back up and running again.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby fizikz » 02/03/2020

I called Fongo and they will put in a request for security to investigate the call logs of the deleted account. This might take some time.

What they can confirm for now is that the account was automatically deleted for inactivity. Apparently the inactivity policy has not changed.

They added some long distance credits to my account so that I will receive a notification of the $1 debit on that balance after 30 days of inactivity. The other suggestion is of course to buy the SIP credentials, but at $100 it's a bit difficult to justify given how infrequently I make calls, plus I remember when it was $50...

The speculation right now is that the calls did not get logged successfully in my account, or that it may be due to some issue with the recent maintenance. Again I mentioned the call history on the FPL app as well as having confirmed the call logs on freephoneline.ca in my account.
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Jake » 02/03/2020

Honestly is was probably the best 50$ deal I have ever taken, apart from the other 3 times I took it :)
I understand about the cost. We hardly ever use our landline but the peace of mind knowing I don't (shouldn't?) have to worry about it getting taken back is worth it to us.

I am more than happy to give the money to FPL rather than Bell/Telus/Rogers and it must have saved us a small fortune over the years.

Anyway, it sounds like you are making headway and there has been an error of some sort.
Jake
Technical Support

Postby fizikz » 02/04/2020

Clearly there was some error, but what frustrated me is despite my mentions of my regular outgoing calls, and log checking habits, as well as the screenshot above, they suggested I need to be more diligent in monitoring my account, buy credits, or the SIP credentials, insinuating that it was my fault. I had to insist for them to start the investigation process, otherwise they were satisfied with the situation being "resolved".

Having said that, I am happy that they restored my old number so quickly on a weekend.

Yes, VOIP saves a lot of money. The thought of paying for landlines feels perverse now. Those who took advantage of the $50 deal are feeling great, I'm sure. ;)
fizikz
Quiet One

[SOLVED] Help! My account number is not valid? Account delet

Postby fizikz » 02/06/2020

I'm happy to report that Fongo promptly investigated the issue and got back to me. In summary it was due to the recent migration/maintenance.

Technical Support (Fongo Support)

Upon further investigation we have determined that an inconsistency appeared during the migration of your account which caused it to be wrongly terminated.
We will try harder in the future to ensure that this will not happen again.

My account and number are restored and back to normal. I can rest easy knowing it was a one-off issue and not due to calls failing to registering nor a misunderstanding of the inactivity policy.

Someone had to win the lottery, right? :D
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Jake » 02/07/2020

Thank you for letting us know, and I am glad it is all back to as it was!
Jake
Technical Support

Postby Savario » 02/09/2020

this happened to me also and they deleted my account.
how can I get it restored?
Savario
Active Poster

Postby fizikz » 02/09/2020

Savario wrote:this happened to me also and they deleted my account.
how can I get it restored?

Open a ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Savario » 02/10/2020

I sent in a ticket and they responded that my account was deleted due to inactivity. I was told to create a new account, and add a minimum of $5.00 in outgoing credits (that I will never use) to get it restored. So now it is working again.

Maybe if everyone with a "freephoneline" account pitches in $5 bucks each, we can pool that money and pay the person who makes fongo realize that sending a warning e-mail before disabling an account is always good policy. :idea:
Savario
Active Poster

Postby fizikz » 02/10/2020

Well, the question is were you inactive or not? I showed that I was not inactive, and they eventually agreed after investigating.

They added $5 credits to my account to serve as a warning system, since after 30 days of inactivity there is a $1 debit and an associated warning email about it. That, I think, is the reason for adding credits.

But yes, I requested that they implement a warning email for free accounts the last time this happened to me too.
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Savario » 02/10/2020

fizikz wrote:Well, the question is were you inactive or not?

From what I understand , if no outgoing calls are made on the account within 90 days the account is considered inactive. I guess I would apply to me since I use the account for incoming calls only. Never been a problem before, but since early 2019 my "follow me" call forwarding settings were disabled every 90 days. A simple attempt of sending a warning e-mail would have likely avoided this situation.
Savario
Active Poster

Postby fizikz » 02/10/2020

fizikz
Quiet One

Postby fredom23 » 10/11/2021

I just got another email from Fongo stating that my account will be deleted even though my account was ported from another carrier to Free Phone Line and I purchased the Voip unlock key. It seems that Fongo is violating their own deactivation policy where it clearly states that those accounts are exempted from this practice. I have few accounts like those and I'm very angry right now because their system is flagging accounts that should not be flagged for deletion. I keep getting those emails constantly and this has to stop now. FONGO Please Fix your system already so I wont be bothered with those pesky emails. Below is FONGO'S deactivation policy'"

Fongo Account Inactivity & Deletion Policy
Accounts will not be deleted due to inactivity if they have one of the following:

Available World Credits
An active SMS subscription (Canada or Canada+US)
A number Ported to Fongo from another carrier
In the case of FreePhoneLine accounts, you have purchased a VoIP Unlock Key.
fredom23
Just Passing Thru

Postby fizikz » 10/11/2021

@fredom23 You'd be better off starting a new thread, and ultimately contacting Fongo support directly. Pretty frustrating situation. As for me, I ported my number out to another provider a while back to avoid this from happening again.
fizikz
Quiet One

Postby Liptonbrisk » 10/11/2021

fredom23 wrote:I just got another email from Fongo stating that my account will be deleted even though my account was ported from another carrier to Free Phone Line and I purchased the Voip unlock key.

Odd. I am responsible for multiple VoIP unlock key accounts and have never received any automated email threatening account deletion.

Regardless, you will need to submit a ticket to resolve this issue: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.
Fongo Support staff is not obliged to read or respond on these user to user forums.

The escalation process is outlined here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -Complaint
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby fredom23 » 02/05/2022

Why would I look for another thread?? I created accounts with freephoneline.ca because there is no one like that where you can have free phone number. And yes I submitted tickets and well I again received the same idiotic message from Fongo. I'm really fed up with their lack of accountability. They really need to fix their system because I've never ever had issues like this with Freephoneline.ca. And Fongo clearly assured me that they wont do that and now they actually stole money from my account this time. What an absurd.
fredom23
Just Passing Thru

Postby fredom23 » 02/05/2022

it seems that Fongo is not honoring their own deactivation policy. I have a purchased voip key from Freephoneline.ca long time ago and now they want to delete my account. It clearly says in the policy that those accounts with purchased unlock key from Freephoneline.ca will not be deleted due to inactivity. Unbelievable. This company is a total joke. I'm glad I don't have anything with them. Too bad they purchased Freephoneline.ca because I have nothing but problems now.
fredom23
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/05/2022

By the way, the final issue type concerning World Credit expiry should be "World Credits Inquiry".

If the ticket is about account deletion, then choose "My Account Inquiry" for the final issue type in the dropdown box at https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

fredom23 wrote:it seems that Fongo is not honoring their own deactivation policy. I have a purchased voip key from Freephoneline.ca long time ago and now they want to delete my account.

Are you sure you're not just being warned about World Credits expiration instead?

Note that the automated message that gets emailed out concerning World Credit expiration appears to mention account cancellation even if users own VoIP unlock keys (which can be confusing). Consequently, the part of the email concerning account cancellation doesn't apply to them. Instead, World Credit expiry does.

Read below.

Taken from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18724&p=79248#p79239

Danp wrote:Hi, I have purchased the voip unlock key ( and ported a number ) about 8 years ago, and a few months ago (my ata is down) I started getting the email about inactivity, they take 1$ per month until I make a call and will cancel the account when the end is reached.

Expiry of World Credits is a completely separate issue from having a VoIP unlock key account deleted due to inactivity.
Visit https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... ld-Credits

"Expiry Of World Credits

Freephoneline Home Phone World Credits will never expire as long as you use your freephoneline account to place a successful outbound Call at least once every Sixty (60) days. Unlike the threshold for auto deletion accounts that have purchased world credits are not subject to auto deletion. We do consider accounts with World Credits to be dormant if they have not been used in Ninety (90) days.

Any account that has a credit balance and is considered dormant will have their world credit balance expire at a rate of $1.00 in world credits every Thirty (30) days.

To prevent world credits from expiring on your account keep the account active by placing a successful call at least once every Sixty (60) days. This call must be answered by the other party to count. Forwarded calls through your number do not count as a call. If your account becomes dormant, [you] can reactivate it by placing a call."

Purchasing a VoIP unlock key account does not mean your World Credits, if you have any, can't expire.

Danp wrote:So it's unclear if the voip unlock key is a solution to this

It is. That's always been the policy for VoIP unlock key buyers.

Similarly, your account can't be deleted due to inactivity if you've paid to port a phone number into your FPL account from another carrier than Fibernetics.

Danp wrote: I will check if there is any doc about this but maybe someone has some insight?

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... t-deleted-

"Note: Accounts will not be deleted due to inactivity if they have one of the following:

1.Available World Credits
2.A number Ported to Fongo from another carrier.
3.You have purchased a Voip Unlock Key"

Also, visit https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ion-Policy

"Accounts will not be deleted due to inactivity if they have one of the following:

1. Available World Credits
2. An active SMS subscription (Canada or Canada+US) [with Fongo Mobile]
3. A number Ported to Fongo from another carrier
4. In the case of FreePhoneLine accounts, you have purchased a VoIP Unlock Key."

I wonder whether the generic email you received is being triggered by World Credits inactivity/expiring rather than a VoIP unlock key inactivity issue. I have never received a generic email about World Credits expiring, so I don't know if this is an issue with the email about World Credits expiry being unclear (that is, perhaps the wording incorrectly presumes the user doesn't own a VoIP unlock key), but if you feel your VoIP unlock key account is in danger of deletion due to inactivity, submit a ticket: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Choose "My Account Inquiry" for the final issue type.
Here's how to escalate a complaint: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -Complaint.

Finally, we arrive at this conclusion:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18724&p=79248#p79249
Danp wrote:Ok, so now after going through the links you have sent, I see that they are not actually going to delete the account. They are just expiring my world credits.

Thanks again for this, I do appreciate the time you have taken to respond and provide information.

Have a wonderful day!!
Dan.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby fredom23 » 02/06/2022

ok In the policy states

:3a it says that purchased voip key are not subject to inactive policy. Yet in 3b it says the acount will be automatically deleted.

I am very confused and angry because when I purchased freephone line key 10 years ago the live agent assured me that this will never happen. They assured me that I will be able to keep my phone number and account practically for ever. Never had any issues until fongo took over. I had that balance on that account for past 2 years and all of a sudden I keep receiving those stupid emails and money is being withdrawn. The agent never mentioned any world credits expiry and I know I asked him about that. So I;m angry and I need someone from fongo to explain themselves.

3a) Users who have ported in a number from another carrier, have purchased a Voip Key, have an active Texting Package, or a World Credit credit balance, are not subject to the inactivity policy; however World Credits DO EXPIRE (see section 3b below).

3b) If your account becomes dormant (no outgoing calls for 90 days) and you still have a World Credit balance, you will be issued a $1 dormant fee for each month going forward until you place an outgoing call. Once your World Credit balance reaches $0 your account is subject to automatic deletion.
fredom23
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 02/06/2022

fredom23 wrote:
I am very confused and angry because when I purchased freephone line key 10 years ago the live agent assured me that this will never happen. They assured me that I will be able to keep my phone number and account practically for ever.

You can continue to use your VoIP unlock key for as long as you use Freephoneline. They can't delete it due to inactivity.
I would be annoyed as well if that were to occur to me because I own VoIP unlock keys.
So do my in-laws and parents. I'd have family members yelling at me. I'd be furious.

I had that balance on that account for past 2 years and all of a sudden I keep receiving those stupid emails and money is being withdrawn.

Yes, that's a completely separate issue. Click https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... ld-Credits.
World credits can expire if you don't make outbound calls. It doesn't matter if you own a VoIP unlock key.

The wording in the emails that are automatically sent out due to World Credit expiry is probably confusing (I've never received one).
Again, VoIP unlock key users can't have their accounts deleted due to inactivity. Period.

The agent never mentioned any world credits expiry and I know I asked him about that. So I;m angry and I need someone from fongo to explain themselves.

The policy is published, so while I'm not a fan of World Credits expiry for VoIP unlock key users (I own VoIP unlock keys), I doubt trying to get Fongo to change their World Credits expiry policy will accomplish much.

3a) Users who have ported in a number from another carrier, have purchased a Voip Key, have an active Texting Package, or a World Credit credit balance, are not subject to the inactivity policy; however World Credits DO EXPIRE (see section 3b below).

3b) If your account becomes dormant (no outgoing calls for 90 days) and you still have a World Credit balance, you will be issued a $1 dormant fee for each month going forward until you place an outgoing call. Once your World Credit balance reaches $0 your account is subject to automatic deletion.

I found the link you're using: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... unt-Policy. That's an article listed for Fongo Mobile users--and not Freephoneline, by the way (despite VoIP unlock key being mentioned).

The part I bolded is all you need to know. Account deletion due to inactivity doesn't apply to you since you're a VoIP unlock key owner.

World credit expiry does apply, regardless.

1. Freephonline's account deletion policy due to inactivity does not apply to you because you're a VoIP unlock key owner: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... t-deleted-.

2. Freephoneline's World Credit expiry policy does apply to you (and all other VoIP unlock key users, including me): https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... ld-Credits.
World Credit Expiry has nothing to do with VoIP unlock key accounts being deleted. VoIP unlock key accounts can't be deleted due to inactivity.

VoIP unlock keys also can’t be deleted due to World Credits expiring.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Jake » 02/06/2022

I'm pretty sure that 3b refers to anyone who isn't covered by the exemptions in 3a. It could be written clearer.

I will also say that those are taken from Fongo's help pages, not FPL's. FPL doesn't have any sort of texting package, but then Fongo doesn't have a VOIP key either.
The FPL help pages maybe a little more straight forward.
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... /212429706 - Why was my account deleted?
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... ld-Credits - about World Credits.
These pages could also be clearer as it states that you need to place a call every 60 days, but the account will only be deemed dormant after 90; and they will only start taking the $1 charge once the account is marked dormant (after 90 days). So it's not clear to me if it is 60 or 90 days...

As far as I am concerned accounts which have paid for the unlock key will never be deleted. I think we have had a couple of people where it was deleted accidentally, but I also believe those were restored.
Accounts with a paid unlock key, and World Credits, are still effected by the inactive rule, but only in as far as they will take $1 every 30 days after deemed dormant. I don't like this one bit, and actually fell foul to it myself.

Another thing I will add is I never got emails about having to make calls either, not for years, until.... I made a change on my account. I added in another number to simultaneously call and sure enough 60 days later I got an email.
If I had left my account alone I'm sure it would have been ignored, but making a change brought it into the spotlight. I do have other accounts, both with unlock keys and not, and none of those get emails. I'm not in a hurry to make changes on those accounts either :)
Jake
Technical Support

Next

Return to Community Support