Calling to a recently proted BELL number to FPL doesn't work

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Calling to a recently proted BELL number to FPL doesn't work

Postby Mahee » 08/27/2020

Hi,

I have recently helped my sister setup and port her home phone from Bell to FPL. I have been an FPL customer for more than 7 years. I have an Obi110 that has been solid ever since and i have rarely had issues except when maintenance and upgrades occur obviously. So i have setup FPL at her place by first unlocking SIP on an Obi200. Followed the guides and eveything was working at her place with the fongo provided number. We then proceeded to initiate porting of her number. That is now done and incomming and outgoing is working flawlessly at her place. The only problem is when we try to call each other. After dialling there is no ringing for 30 seconds and then the FPL voicemail comes up. The same thing happens on their end. They call me and there is no ringing for 30 seconds and my FPL voicemail comes up. I checked on my FPL account call log and it says:

Aug 27, 2020 5:29:53 PM Aug 27, 2020 5:29:57 PM Normal call clearing Montreal $ 0.00

The same thing is said on their account.

I also asked them to log in and do a simultanious forward to a cell phone. And then I dialed their number the cell phone rang but not the house. They check the house phone and their is a dial tone.

I tried finding a solution here and the closest thing i have seen is someone having issues calling fongo from his FPL and the fongo clients submitted a ticket and it was resolved from fongos end.

More information: Our current number was a bell number ported 7 years ago. Their number was ported from Bell and finalised on the 25th of August. We both are in the same montreal area. And we both have the same ISP. I have an R7000 router with vortex firmware and they have an AC68U with Merlin and they have Sip Passtrough enabled with NAT Helpter.

Is there anything that can be done more on our end?
Mahee
Just Passing Thru

Re: Calling to a recently proted BELL number to FPL doesn't

Postby Liptonbrisk » 08/27/2020

Unlike regular PSTN/Landline calls to FPL, FPL to FPL calls are treated as SIP URI calls. The same holds true for Fongo to FPL calls.
Ensure X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly is disabled in the OBi200. The setting is found under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service.
In the OBi110, for testing purposes, remove everything from X_AccessList (if it's being used), which is found under Service Providers>ITSP Profile (service you're using) >SIP>X_AccessList

Did the problem only occur after porting? Or did you not test calling each other before porting?

SIP ALG is SIP Passthrough in Asus firmware and in Merlin. I use Merlin with SIP Passthrough set to "Enabled + NAT Helper". Freephoneline to Freephoneline calls work perfectly fine for me (receiving and outgoing).
In fact, I've set family members up with OBi202 and RT-AC68U running Merlin, and they call me all the time. Whenever I setup friends with Merlin, I never change the SIP Passthrough setting, and they've never had problems.

It's important, however, that whatever modem/router combo or gateway ISPs may have issued to customers are truly in bridge mode. Contact the ISP if need be to ensure the device they gave you is in bridge mode, provided it's not just a modem. If your sister is using DSL, instead of enabling bridge mode in the modem/router combo, it might be simpler to just perform PPPoE login using her OBi200, which would accomplish the same thing as bypassing the ISP's router. If she's using PPPoE, she would require her ISP's PPPoEUsername and PPPoEPassword. In the ATA, the settings are found under System Management–>WAN Settings-->Addressing Type (change to PPPoE). It would be best to ask the ISP first if they allow more than one PPPoE login (that works fine with Bell Hubs).

[Aug 27, 2020 5:29:53 PM Aug 27, 2020 5:29:57 PM Normal call clearing Montreal $ 0.00

The call is being received by FPL, at least.

a) Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings
b) ensure SIP Status shows connected
c) ensure SIP User Agent is something you recognize (if not, you've been hacked)

Note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. When there are multiple devices/softphones using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration, and, consequently, incoming calls will not work on it. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app or with another device. Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. A more significant concern, though, is that multiple registration attempts can lead to temporary IP bans. The more devices being used can make the temporary ban happen more quickly. Note that each time you reboot or restart your ATA or SIP app, it's attempting to register with Freephoneline again. Multiple registration attempts within a short period can result in temporary IP ban. Each time you reboot your ATA it's attempting to register with FPL's proxy server.

d) Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/followMeSettings
e) For the purposes of troubleshooting, disable Follow me. Click "submit"

1) Do you experience the same issue calling from the Fongo Mobile app while your smartphone is connected to your LAN's Wi-Fi? Test by calling your FPL number from your Fongo Mobile app.

2) Does your sister experience the same issue calling from the Fongo Mobile app while connected to her LAN's Wi-Fi? Have her test calling from her Fongo Mobile on her smartphone to her FPL number.

a) Ensure X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly is disabled in the OBi200. The setting is found under Voice Services-->SP(FPL) Service.

b) In the OBi110, for testing purposes, remove everything from X_AccessList (if it's being used), which is found under Service Providers>ITSP Profile (service you're using) >SIP>X_AccessList

3) This is the guide that should be used fully for your sister: download/file.php?id=2065.

4) Both your sister and you (provided the settings exist in your ATA) should follow the steps from pages 42 to 44, under the heading,
"Are you getting one way audio issues with an OBi200/202 and Freephoneline? Are incoming calls not ringing? Can you not hear one side of the conversation (you can hear the caller, but the caller can't hear you or vice versa)?" OBi110 doesn't have X_DiscoverPublicAddress and X_DetectALG (I think), but OBi200 does. And no one can test to voip3.freephoneline.ca anymore; you won't be able to connect. Otherwise, the instructions are similar. During the steps, when prompted to disable SIP ALG, you can try disabling SIP Passthrough to see if that makes a difference for you. However, if simply rebooting the router followed by rebooting the ATA works, then the issue was unrelated to SIP Passthrough.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support