[Resolved]Grandstream HT802 disconnecting from Freephoneline

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Resolved]Grandstream HT802 disconnecting from Freephoneline

Postby TankCla » 09/25/2021

Hello
Recently my old motorola ATA died and I replaced it with Grandstream HT802 (1.0.29.8)
The issue I experience now is disconnection from Freephoneline. The old motorola worked perfect with the Arris GT3452 from Cogeco. I unchecked the SIP box from the modem, even though it was not necessary with the old motorola.

I followed the instructions here to configure the Grandstream, but it disconnects from Freephoneline after a certain amount of time.
I am sure it is a timeout issue, but I cannot figure it out by myself.

These are some of my configs, maybe someone could help me.

Primary SIP Server: voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
Prefer Primary SIP Server: No
NAT Traversal: Keep-Alive
SIP Registration: Yes
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 20
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time upon 403 Forbidden:120
Enable SIP OPTIONS/NOTIFY Keep Alive: OPTIONS
SIP OPTIONS/NOTIFY Keep Alive Interval: 20
SIP OPTIONS/NOTIFY Keep Alive Max Lost: 3
SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses: WAN Address
Dial Plan: {[2345689]11|*98|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.}
SUBSCRIBE for MWI: No, do not send SUBSCRIBE for Message Waiting Indication
Loop Current Disconnect Duration: 200
On Hook Timing: 400

Please let me know if I have missed something.

Thank you!
TankCla
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT802
Firmware Version: 1.0.23.5
ISP Name: Cogeco
Router: Arris

Re: Grandstream HT802 disconnecting from Freephoneline

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/25/2021

TankCla wrote:SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time: 20

Should be 120 seconds
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time upon 403 Forbidden:120

Leave this at the default of 1200 and not 120

Please let me know if I have missed something.

Always check registration status in your ATA: in the Status tab-->Port Status, FXS 1 should be Registered.
FXS 2 should not be registered unless you have purchased two VoIP unlock keys.
Do not attempt to register both FXS ports with the exact same VoIP unlock key (or on another device). Doing so will lead to registration issues.

Also check "SIP status" after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings
Please note that if "SIP User Agent" does not reflect a device you're using, someone else is using your Freephoneline VoIP unlock key.
Only one registration is permitted at any time per Freephoneline VoIP unlock key.

Where settings are similar, use this guide: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18839#p74000.

Register Expiration should be 60 minutes (this is 3600 seconds).
Use Random SIP Port: Yes

If rebooting the ATA always resolves the problem temporarily (provided Use Random SIP Port is set to Yes), then I would suspect a UDP timeout/NAT corruption issue developing in the device issued by your ISP, which is one reason why it's generally better to have your own good router for SIP services instead of relying on the device issued by your ISP. Refer to point D from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20199#p78976.

If rebooting does not help (and as long as you're positive your internet service is working and reliable), try changing Primary SIP Server to something else, such as voip2.freephoneline.ca.
Too many registration attempts within a short interval can lead to you being temporarily IP banned by the specific FPL server the ATA was sending registration requests to.
If you're temporarily IP banned, you could then try switching Primary SIP server to a different FPL server than the one you were previously using (voip.freephoneline.ca, voip2.freephoneline.ca, or voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060).
Registration timers are important.
SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time should be 120 seconds (not 20 seconds).
Register Expiration should be 60 minutes.

Otherwise intermittent outages are typically due to unreliable internet service.
A.Use winmtr https://sourceforge.net/projects/winmtr/ if you have a Windows PC.

B. For Freephoneline.ca (based in Ontario), test to voip.freephoneline.ca (let winmtr ping about 200 times), voip2.freephoneline.ca, and voip4.freephoneline.ca. You can copy text to clipboard and paste your results (do not post your own IP public address though) and post them for others to examine if you want.

C. Look at the very last hop or line. Take a look at your average ping--and your maximum. You want those values to be relatively close.
You do not want high pings and lots of jitter (you do not want a lot of variation between each ping). If you get horrible results (pings over 200ms), you should probably avoid FPL.

I get between 11 (voip.freephoneline.ca and voip2.freephoneline.ca)-24ms (voip4.freephonline.ca) on average, depending on the server I'm testing to. Preferably, you want pings below 100ms.

Anything over 200ms is unacceptable.

What you don't want to see is 40, 45, 50, 35, 500, 40, 30, 45, 700. That's bad jitter, which leads to choppy calls or dropped calls.

And if you can't ping a server at all, something is definitely wrong. It's unlikely you will be able to register.

You want relatively consistent pings without a lot of variation. Severe packet loss and ping spikes can produce silence and dropped calls.
I also recommend reading page 42 under the choppy audio section from download/file.php?id=2164 because what happens with severe ping spikes means your services and calls can drop.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby TankCla » 09/27/2021

Hi Liptonbrisk
Thank you for your reply.

I have made the recommended changes now and I will let you know if I get disconnected from the server.

FXS 1 is always "On Hook" & "Registered" and I can see my new device on the Freephoneline account.

My Register Expiration is 3600 seconds, Use Random SIP Port: Yes & Use Random RTP Port: Yes

You are correct, when I reboot my ATA, it reconnects with freephnoline server, but it disconnects after some time. I have my own router, but it has limited ports and I am using my provider modem to feed ATA. The thing is that Motorola was working perfect without any changes in my provider modem.
TankCla
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/27/2021

TankCla wrote:Hi Liptonbrisk

My Register Expiration is 3600 seconds

Note that the Grandstream's Register Expiration value is in minutes. So, that needs to be 60 minutes in the ATA and not 3600 minutes.
This is an easy error to make since most other time values in the ATA are listed in seconds.

Everything else I wrote still applies.

SIP OPTIONS Keep Alive Max Lost: 3

By the way, I think I would change that to 6 to help avoid potential temporary IP bans, but I doubt that setting is causing the problem.

If need be, I guess you could port forward as a last resort, which is a security risk. The Keep-Alive packets (sent as "OPTIONS") should keep the NAT connection alive without needing to port forward.
I use "NOTIFY" instead, but FPL's server responds to both Options and Notify the last time I checked.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby TankCla » 09/27/2021

Thank you for the additional clarification.

I have changed 3600 to 60, 3 to 6 and I am trying now the "NOTIFY" option, too.
I even turned off my ISP modem firewall, and I still got disconnected. I tried to time it today and after 3h it was still connected, but after 6h it was disconnected from the server.
TankCla
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/27/2021

TankCla wrote:
I have changed 3600 to 60

That’s a huge problem if it wasn’t set to 60 minutes previously. Your ATA would definitely lose registration if it's only making registration requests every 3600 minutes (60 hours).

I even turned off my ISP modem firewall

There's a couple of points to consider here:

1. You can't truly rule out the router portion of your modem/router combo as being the problem unless it's placed in bridge mode. If you need help doing this, I would contact your ISP for assistance.
If you're going to test in bridge mode, I would test with only the ATA connected and not for a long period.

2. Using bridge mode for any significant duration is not a good idea because you're leaving devices on your LAN unprotected (unless you are also using your own router, which you're not).

After making any changes in the ATA, reboot your modem/router combo. Wait for it to be fully up and running first. Then reboot your ATA.

I still got disconnected

How are you determining this? Is it based on loss of registration reported in the ATA? Is it based on loss of registration reported in FPL's user portal?

In my first response, I mentioned Winmtr and http://vac.visualware.com/ (from page 42) in the guide I linked earlier: download/file.php?id=2164.
I would really recommend going through the steps I listed earlier with winmtr when you notice a problem to help see whether a problem exists somewhere along the path between you and FPL.

"Another possibility is you're dealing with congestion during prime time (8p.m. to 11 p.m.,especially on Sundays). That's an ISP issue (possibly oversold its service in your area). With Rogers or a cable ISP, you could very well be dealing with local node congestion."
What is interesting is that you're reporting the disconnect now during prime time, which is when cable internet services are more likely to suffer from local node congestion.
Run those tests when you experience issues. If your internet service is suddenly unreliable or intermittent, your SIP service will be too.

I suppose it’s also possible that a new ATA could be faulty. It happens.
Or buggy. . .
Check to ensure you’re using the latest firmware for your ATA.
https://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware

I am out of further suggestions at the moment.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby TankCla » 09/28/2021

Good morning
I can happily say that I have not been disconnected from the Freephoneline server. And yes, I have been checking the my Freephoneline account on the web to check the connectivity.

YOUR SIP STATUS
SIP Status: connected
SIP User Agent: Grandstream HT802 1.0.29.8

Something I did late yesterday fixed it. Most likely the 3600 to 60. Next step would be to put back the ISP modem settings and see if the firewall makes a difference or not.

Thank you for your help.

After I am done with the config I will PDF the HT802 settings and post them here for the future, if it accepted, of course.
TankCla
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/28/2021

TankCla wrote:Good morning
I can happily say that I have not been disconnected from the Freephoneline server.

Hi,

That's good news.

Liptonbrisk wrote:
TankCla wrote:
My Register Expiration is 3600 seconds

Note that the Grandstream's Register Expiration value is in minutes. So, that needs to be 60 minutes in the ATA and not 3600 minutes.
This is an easy error to make since most other time values in the ATA are listed in seconds.

Liptonbrisk wrote:
TankCla wrote:
I have changed 3600 to 60

That’s a huge problem if it wasn’t set to 60 minutes previously. Your ATA would definitely lose registration if it's only making registration requests every 3600 minutes (60 hours).

TankCla wrote:Something I did late yesterday fixed it. Most likely the 3600 to 60.

Yes, that is the most probable cause.

Next step would be to put back the ISP modem settings and see if the firewall makes a difference or not.

You definitely shouldn't keep your firewall down.You are leaving the ATA unprotected and setting yourself up to be hacked.

After I am done with the config I will PDF the HT802 settings and post them here for the future, if it accepted, of course.

Sure, I can look over the settings before moving the PDF over to the device configuration forum.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Re: [Resolved]Grandstream HT802 disconnecting from Freephone

Postby Liptonbrisk » 09/28/2021

Okay, I split this thread and moved your configuration guide to viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20252.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support