[Resolved] No incoming calls or Voicemail left

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Resolved] No incoming calls or Voicemail left

Postby c00lman » 11/26/2021

HI,

we been using Freephone line for years and its been working fine until few days ago. We noticed we are not receiving any incoming calls and no voicemail left either. when we call our home number, it is saying, "The person you are trying to reach is not available, please leave a message..." if we leave voicemail, we don't receive any email notification or the phone is not indicating there's any voicemail.

our ISP is with Shaw and modem is (XB6) in bridge mode.
our router is a FortiGate 60D. we disabled the SIP ALG via the FortiGate documentation.
our ATA is an old Linksys/PAP2-3.1.22(LS) and the status is showing it's online and connected :(

We checked our Call Logs, and the disconnect reason are "Normal call clearing", "User busy" "No user responding" and no other error message

We also shutdown everything then rebooted our ISP Modem first, then Router, then the ATA.

We also tried changing the server to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 :(

Any assistance is welcome :)

please and thank you.
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: PAP2
ISP Name: Shaw Cable
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: pfsense

Re: No incoming calls or Voicemail left

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/26/2021

c00lman wrote:our ISP is with Shaw and modem is (XB6) in bridge mode.

our router is a FortiGate 60D

Were incoming calls working at any point when you had both the XB6 and FortiGate 60D?

Is this problem happening with incoming calls from all carriers (ex. Telus, Rogers, Bell) or just one carrier? Is it happening with all numbers?

Note that only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. An ATA is one registration. A SIP app is another.

When there are multiple devices/softphones/lines using the same account, only the most recent registration is valid. The previous device will lose registration (despite whatever Freephoneline's web portal indicates; remember registration interval is 1hr with FPL, and that status is updated hourly at the next registration interval), and, consequently, incoming calls will not work on it. This is especially important to consider if someone else is using your SIP credentials (username and password) that are found after logging in at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings or if you're trying to register your FPL account with a smartphone SIP app or with another device. Registration is required for incoming calls. It is not required for outgoing calls. Another concern is that multiple registration attempts can lead to temporary IP bans. The more devices being used with the exact same FPL account can make the temporary ban happen more quickly. Each time you reboot or restart your ATA or SIP app, it's attempting to register with Freephoneline again. Multiple registration attempts within a short period can result in temporary IP ban. Each time you reboot your ATA it's attempting to register with FPL's proxy server.

Please follow the steps, step by step, down the list:

1. Login to your PAP2 (ensure you select "Advanced view" and "admin").

2. In your PAP2, Navigate to Line 1 (or whatever Line you're using for FPL)-->SIP settings, and change SIP Port to a random number between 30000 and 60000. Do this for security reasons. Also, this step may help to temporarily address a corrupted NAT association that's developed between a router and ATA.

If you're using both Lines, change both SIP Port for each line to a random number between 30000 and 60000. But do not use the exact same SIP Port number for both Lines.

3. In your PAP2T, Navigate to the SIP tab-->NAT Support Parameters, and make sure that the following settings are enabled:

a)Handle VIA received-->yes
b)Handle VIA rport-->yes
c)Substitute VIA Addr-->yes

This helps to ensure RTP (the streaming audio packets sent by FPL's server) packets are sent to your public WAN IP address as opposed to your LAN IP address (nowhere/outer space).

4. NAT Keep Alive Intvl should be 20

5. Navigate to Line used for FPL-->NAT settings
a) NAT Mapping enabled --> yes
b) NAT Keep alive enabled --> yes
c) NAT Keep Alive Msg: $NOTIFY
d) NAT Keep Alive Dest: $PROXY

6. Navigate to Voice-->SIP-->SIP Timer Values (sec)
a. Reg Retry Intvl should be 120 seconds
https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials
This step is not related to your problem, but old guides didn't include this setting.

7. You stated you tried voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060
Let's keep using it for testing purposes
Double check to ensure Register Expires is 3600 seconds (it likely is).

8. After changing and savings settings, reboot your devices. Proper device reboot order is always modem (wait for it to be fully up and running first before rebooting your)-->router (wait for it to be fulling up and running first before rebooting your)-->ATA

9. Log into the ATA. Navigate to Info tab-->Line (FPL) status-->Registration State.
What does it indicate?
Hopefully, the line is registered.

10. Test with an incoming call. Hopefully it works.

11. If the incoming call fails, connect the ATA directly to XB6 in bridge mode. Reboot XB6 (wait for it to be up and running fully). Then reboot ATA. Test again. If that works, the problem involves FortiGate 60D, which I am unfortunately not familiar with. Keep in mind the ATA will be unprotected by the XB6 (due to it being in bridge mode). I would just do this briefly for testing and not keep the ATA permanently connected to the XB6 while it's in bridge mode.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby c00lman » 11/26/2021

thank you. I will try that on the PAP2-NA later.. just need to go out :D

I have a spare cisco phone that I was testing before. I reconfigured the Cisco 8841 with the freephoneline SIP settings. the Cisco phone can receive calls (incoming) The phone is connected behind the fortigate router similar to where the PAP2-NA is

I have turned off the PAP2 NA for now. and will replug and test it later again.. WIll also follow your recommendations.

let you know.
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/26/2021

c00lman wrote:
I have a spare cisco phone that I was testing before. I reconfigured the Cisco 8841 with the freephoneline SIP settings. the Cisco phone can receive calls (incoming) The phone is connected behind the fortigate router similar to where the PAP2-NA is

Okay, that's a good sign. Just make sure the Cisco IP Phone is unplugged or, at least, not registered when you're testing the ATA with the same FPL account. Only one registration can be valid at any time per FPL account.

I may be unavailable for the rest of the day as well, but I'll check back at some point.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby c00lman » 11/27/2021

Followed all the instructions but still no incoming :(. At least I’m receiving the voicemail email now. It all come in after a while lol

Tried changing all the settings as recommended, rebooted modem then router the. Ata. Same issue :(
Tried to plug in the ata directly to the modem ( after rebooting again :)). Same issue

Outgoing is working but not any incoming

I asked a friend who has the same ata, Their Incoming stopped working too . Not outgoing :(

Since the Cisco voip phone is working for incoming and outgoing, we can assume the modem and router are working right?

Wondering what changed :(
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/27/2021

c00lman wrote:
Since the Cisco voip phone is working for incoming and outgoing, we can assume the modem and router are working right

The fact that the Cisco IP Phone is working is throwing me off and puzzling me. It should be functioning similarly to the PAP2.

Dial *79 to ensure Do Not Disturb is deactivated in the ATA.

Registration is a requirement for incoming calls (not for outgoing). Typically when incoming calls don't work it's due to lack of registration, SIP ALG, or NAT firewall issue.

What does registration status indicate in the ATA? Info tab-->Line (FPL) status-->Registration State.

Is the phone port on the ATA faulty?
Check phone cords and the phone ringer (to ensure it's not muted).

I asked a friend who has the same ata, Their Incoming stopped working too

Is it the exact same XB6 and FortiGate 60D being used as well?
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

thank you very much.. tried the *79 and started working. somehow the ATA might enabled the DND

Dial *79 to ensure Do Not Disturb is deactivated in the ATA.

should we put it back to the original voip2.freephoneline.ca?
By any chance you know the key to enable?

I will ask my friend to try *79 too hahah lol
thank you hopefully it does not stop lol
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

c00lman wrote:thank you very much

You're very welcome!

Someone might have dialed *78 by accident, which enables do not disturb.

should we put it back to the original voip2.freephoneline.ca?

I usually use whatever proxy server happens to provide me with the lowest pings and jitter.
I realize this is not a guide for your ATA, but the test mentioned on pages 16 and 17 is worth reading: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18805#p73839.
The PDF guide is linked at the bottom of the first post.

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is intended for dealing with a SIP ALG that can't be disabled, but it can be used regardless.

I will ask my friend to try *79 too hahah lol

Sure, but your friend may have a completely different issue (ATA configuration, SIP ALG on, etc.)
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Re: [Resolved] No incoming calls or Voicemail left

thanks... yeah.. if he's still having issue after trying to disable DND then that's another post hahah :D
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

c00lman wrote:thanks... yeah.. if he's still having issue after trying to disable DND then that's another post hahah :D

Well, the ATA settings I listed previously are the same ones he should use.

Other things to check for include ensuring if he has a modem/router combo that it's in bridge mode provided he is also using his own router in addition to the one issued by his ISP.
His own router should have SIP Passthrough (Asus routers) or SIP ALG disabled.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby c00lman » 11/28/2021

Not sure if there’s any update from free phone line or it accidentally enabled the dnd

My friend just tried it also and it’s working for him too

Just an update. Thank you
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/28/2021

c00lman wrote:Not sure if there’s any update from free phone line or it accidentally enabled the dnd

FPL can’t remotely change ATA settings without having the ATA connected (or locked) to a provisioning server (as is the case with Fongo Home Phone).

That is a strange coincidence though.

My friend just tried it also and it’s working for him too

That’s good news.

Just an update. Thank you

You’re welcome!
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby c00lman » 05/07/2023

after a year of its working.. it started to not have any incoming calls again :(

tried the *79 to deactivate DND but still no incoming calls.
it goes directly to voicemail. at least I'm receiving the voicemail via email hahaha :D

will try to troubleshoot when we are free lol
c00lman
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/07/2023

Hi,

Ensure that you're not blocking these IPs:

voip.freephoneline.ca = 208.65.240.44
voip2.freephoneline.ca = 162.213.111.22
voip4.freephonelineca:6060 = 162.213.111.21:6060
These IPs are all subject to change. Use domain names instead of IP addresses if they work for you.

RTP IPs are still 208.85.218.146 and 208.85.218.147. That's where the audio stream comes from.

Also, it's extremely important to ensure that you're using a 3600 second registration interval now. In the ATA, navigate to Voice tab-->Line tab (whichever you use for FPL)-->Proxy and Registration-->Register Expires needs to be 3600 seconds.

Afterwards, click viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532, and follow the steps, step by step down the list (make sure to scroll down to the bottom if you need to go that far). You can probably start on step 6, provided nothing has changed (based on what you've written previously). Ensure SIP ALG is still disabled in your router. Step 11 doesn't apply to you, so you can skip step 11.

Good luck!
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support