[Resolved] incoming [Bell] call is blocked

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Re: incoming [Bell] call from a specific number is blocked

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/14/2022

Jake wrote:I had this same sort of thing when I used to run FreePBX, where some numbers would come in and others would go straight to voicemail. In my case is was down to the Codecs I had chosen.

The INVITE from the proxy server isn't being received, apparently.

In order for a codec mismatch to occur, I would expect the INVITE to be received, which is why I suggested looking for dropped packets from the proxy server being used in the router's syslog.
However, if there's some VLAN/incoming UDP rule that is misconfigured and routing data to the wrong LAN IP, then packets aren't being dropped.
They're also not being dropped if the INVITE never makes it to mkaye's external WAN IP (or modem) in the first place.

mkaye wrote:in the SIP logs for a successful call we get an invite msg from fpl, this doesn't arrive for calls that fail

Proxy sends INVITE (SDP should be a g711u g729 telephone-event) to callee, which isn't received, according to mkaye. (180) Ringing should come back towards proxy and then to the caller.

Regardless, yes, FPL only supports G.711u and G.729a. Codec mismatches can cause problems (I don't believe this is the issue here); it's reasonable enough to check. That doesn't explain why an incoming INVITE isn't seen, unless the SIP log refuses to capture anything.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby mkaye » 11/14/2022

here's what we know now...

put old asus router in place, no firewall
just my laptop, pbx, ata connected
same behaviour i.e. my cell works, linphone using another fpl # fails
no dropped msgs in router log when fails
my assumption is that fpl is never sending an invite for the failed call
the only time it worked, was linphone on my cell connected directly to fpl and call from other fpl # using linphone on another cell and my cell not on my wifi
i don't think i am blocking anything from fpl
the only difference is the registration from linphone or freepbx
could there be something that would cause fpl to not even ring for the failing #'s?
there is only silence for 30s (5 rings) before it drops to voicemail, no ringing
mkaye
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Freepbx
Firmware Version: v16
ISP Name: bell fiber
Computer OS: windows 11
Router: ubiquiti udmpro

i only have ulaw enabled
tried ulaw&g729, same issue
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:
put old asus router in place, no firewall

SIP Passthrough needs to be disabled in it.

ata connected

Well, wait. Why not just remove PBX and router, stick modem gateway in bridge mode, export current ATA settings, reset ATA, configure ATA using one of the guides found at viewforum.php?f=15, and connect ATA directly to the modem (with it in bridge mode)?

If you're using a Granstream ATA, make sure that you have "SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses" set to "WAN Address".

Once you get that working, connect ATA to Ubiquiti router and test again without PBX. Get that working.

Finally, restore/import ATA settings (depends on ATA model) and connect to PBX. If that doesn't work, check FreePBX config.

the only time it worked, was linphone on my cell connected directly to fpl and call from other fpl # using linphone on another cell and my cell not on my wifi

Oh, have you been saying only SIP URI (FPL to FPL) calls work this entire time?

What brand and model modem are you using?
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

no, not saying fpl to fpl works
we have 3 cell #'s that work just fine all the time
we have an fpl, bell, cell that don't work 100% of the time
we were using the failing fpl # to test
the only way we could get the failing fpl # to call my fpl # was to use linphone on my cell to connect to fpl directly using my #
my friend would then use his cell with linphone connected to his fpl #
this worked if my phone wasn't connected to my wifi
which pointed us to a firewall issue on my router
but now another router has exactly the same issue, so really can't be the router
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:no, not saying fpl to fpl works
we have 3 cell #'s that work just fine all the time

Sorry, I'm thoroughly confused now.

You have 3 Bell Mobility (or what are the carriers?) cellular numbers that work just fine for what? Work fine all the time for calls to and from both FPL numbers?

we have an fpl, bell, cell that don't work 100% of the time

Don't work 100% for what? Outbound calls to the failing FPL number?

Is the failing FPL number not on your PBX, normally? Is it at another location?

Do outgoing calls from this failing FPL number to non-FPL numbers work?

Disable PBX FPL trunk(s), remove router, stick modem gateway (if it's a modem/router combo, gateway, or Hub) in bridge mode, export current ATA settings, reset ATA, configure ATA using one of the guides found at viewforum.php?f=15, and connect ATA directly to the modem (with it in bridge mode).

If you're using a Granstream ATA, make sure that you have "SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses" set to "WAN Address".
Check for incoming calls from both non-FPL and FPL numbers. Don't move on until incoming calls work.

Once you get that configuration working, connect ATA to Ubiquiti router and test again without PBX. Get that working before moving on to next step.

Finally, restore/import previous ATA settings (depends on ATA model) and connect to PBX.

we were using the failing fpl # to test

Okay, I'm not sure where this failing FPL number is normally registered. On your PBX? Or at another location?

If you have two FPL numbers registered with the same WAN IP on your PBX, don't use the same FPL proxy server for both FPL numbers.
Don't use the same local (LAN) UDP SIP port both both numbers either.

my friend would then use his cell with linphone connected to his fpl #
this worked if my phone wasn't connected to my wifi
which pointed us to a firewall issue on my router

I have no idea why you're testing this. You initially indicated the problem was with an incoming Bell landline call.

FPL to FPL is treated as SIP URI (internally, AFAIK). SIP to SIP is different and affected by SIP ALG at either end/not having true bridge mode (and possibly IPv6 based on an old Fongo Mobile issue with Fido/Rogers ISP).

At first, I was wondering about a Fibernetics call routing issue, but that's not the case since incoming calls are reaching FPL voicemail.

but now another router has exactly the same issue, so really can't be the router

That's inconclusive since you're not checking logs.

It is possible INVITE isn't being by proxy to the correct IP address. You should get able to check outbound SIP contact header from your end for correct external IP.

Anyway, I'm pretty confused by your description.

1. I would start by confirming I'm getting true bridge mode.

2. Disable PBX FPL trunk(s), remove router, stick modem gateway (if it's a modem/router combo, gateway, or Hub) in bridge mode, export current ATA settings, reset ATA, configure ATA using one of the guides found at viewforum.php?f=15, and connect ATA directly to the modem (with it in bridge mode).

If you're using a Granstream ATA, make sure that you have "SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses" set to "WAN Address"

To export with Grandstream, visit https://forums.grandstream.com/t/how-to ... ta/37251/2.

Obihai settings export is located in the OBi2xx PDF guide on this forum.

3. Check for incoming calls from both non-FPL and FPL numbers (ensure person on other end of outbound FPL call to you is using cellular data, so that I don't have to question some ALG/NAT issue on the other end). Don't move on until incoming calls work.

If you get a SIP error code at this point, let me know.

4. Once you get that configuration from #3 working while connected directly to modem (and modem only), connect ATA to usual Ubiquiti router and test again without PBX. Get that working before moving on to next step.

5. Finally, restore/import previous ATA settings (depends on ATA model) and connect back to PBX. Troubleshoot from there (especially check Contact and Via headers).

At least after step 4, the problem isn't your modem (calls are reaching your WAN), and you should be able to confirm at that point whether you've configured something improperly.

Lastly, question what's going on if everything works fine while using Linphone while connected to cellular data.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

OK let me try again
2 cell #'s 613-240xxx (Telus) & 2 cell #'s 613 343xxx (Rogers) work into my pbx all the time
a bell landline (613 866xxxx) & cell (Rogers) from 1 person outside Ottawa do not work
fpl # from a friend does not work - outside Ottawa too

the only thing that works is if i use linphone on my cell to connect to my fpl # (no pbx involved)
my friend then called from his cell - worked as usual (my wifi on)
then called using linphone on his cell using his fpl # - works only if i turn wifi off on my cell, fails if wifi on

in this scenario only my router & firewall could be involved as fpl is connected to my cell

tried another router (asus ac68 w/merlin), same results, cell works, linphone using friends fpl # fails
watched log, no attempts to connect from fpl
so at this point i can't believe it has anything to do with my router(s)

yes, i can connect my ata to fpl, but not sure what it is going to prove - same as cell using linphone, just a different endpoint - there is no invite for the failing calls??
i believe for some reason fpl is not actually calling me on the failing #'s
on these failing calls there is 30s of silence & then to voicemail - no indication of ringing
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:then called using linphone on his cell using his fpl # - works only if i turn wifi off on my cell, fails if wifi on

in this scenario only my router & firewall could be involved as fpl is connected to my cell

I'm now skeptical you're getting true bridge mode from your modem to your router.
SIP ALG rewrites SIP headers. If it’s a gateway or hub, make sure it’s in bridge mode.This is why I would test while connected directly to your modem (with your ATA configured for FPL directly), and then move on from there.

Since you're using a PBX, it makes sense to me that you're not just using FPL (unless you're using a lot of FPL accounts). In my experience with other users, I tend to have less (switch) related issues with some other providers (which I'm not going to discuss here) with respect to having SIP signalling going to the correct IP address. So having the contact header set properly is important; bridge mode can be important (especially with certain SIP ALGs that can't be disabled with certain ISP's gateways).

Actually, make sure you're not using the same local UDP SIP port for any trunk (not just the one for FPL), please.

Or SIP ALG or some strange config issue is present.

tried another router (asus ac68 w/merlin)

1. Use 386.7_2: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

2. Login to router. Navigate to Advanced Settings-->WAN-->NAT Passthrough.
SIP Passthrough MUST NOT be set to "Enabled + NAT helper"
"+ NAT Helper" is the ALG. Using it is a security risk and also causes problems with incoming calls from some carriers with FPL.
SIP Passthrough MUST be either "Disabled" or set to "Enabled" with firmware version 386.7_2.
"NAT Helper" must not be used for SIP Passthrough with Merlin when using FPL.

Restart PBX after making this change.

When using the latest stock Asus firmware, SIP Passthrough must be "Disabled" instead.

yes, i can connect my ata to fpl, but not sure what it is going to prove

a) Not getting true bridge mode from router (since I'm asking you connect directly to ISP gateway or ISP hub in bridge mode). This is important if it’s a modem/router combo that’s had new firmware pushed to it recently.
b) Possible VLAN/VM issue
c) potential FreePBX config issue

If you're using a Grandstream ATA, make sure that you have "SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses" set to "WAN Address".
This should also provide a hint to what I'm suggesting with your PBX's contact header for FPL.

Your ISP's gateway or hub must be in bridge mode while initially testing with ATA connected directly to it.

same as cell using linphone, just a different endpoint

I don't follow you here. How is it the same at all? You tested on cellular data and not from your LAN.
You weren't using your PBX.

same as cell using linphone, just a different endpoint - there is no invite for the failing calls

You are getting an INVITE when using cellular data based on what you wrote earlier, unless I'm confused again.
I would question why that works when not on your LAN.

If your modem is in bridge mode (if it's a gateway or hub), connecting directly to it with an ATA configured directly with FPL should produce the exact same result as when linphone is using cellular data.

i believe for some reason fpl is not actually calling me on the failing #'s

Suggests problem with SIP contact header (PBX config problem), not getting true bridge mode, or SIP ALG issue (Rogers XB7 offers no way to disable SIP ALG unless bridge mode is enabled, for example).

on these failing calls there is 30s of silence & then to voicemail - no indication of ringing

I suspect INVITE is being sent to wrong IP (a LAN IP, instead of WAN due to a problem with the SIP contact header and/or Via header) from the proxy server. It's impossible to verify where the INVITE was sent without a SIP trace from the provider, and I don't work for Fongo. Typically, that's fixable on the user's end, especially if everything works while connected to cellular data.

If you were getting some 404 SIP error code or "number is not in service", then for sure that would be a problem on Fibernetics' end.
This seems more like a SIP contact/via header problem or a SIP ALG issue instead.

Also, if the problem were also happening while you're on cellular data, then I would consider submitting a ticket to Fongo as well. But if the problem doesn't happen at all while on cellular data, then it's logical to believe the problem resides somewhere on your LAN.

You can also test with using Fongo Mobile. Chances are you'll reproduce the problem while connected to your LAN but not on cellular data. It's easier to get customer support as a Fongo Mobile customer than as a Freephoneline customer, which doesn't offer free technical support.

Anyway, it's up to you. You can do what you want.

Oh, another place to ask questions is https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby mkaye » 11/15/2022

modem is definitely in bridge mode
router is Ubiquiti UDMPro

i have 2 PBX's, FreePBX16(18.9 asterisk) running in a VM and FreepBX15(16) on a PI
both of these have been working for years, and both behave the same now
i do have another trunk for business but it uses IAX, no issues (just checked using failing fpl #)
continually update both & switch to the PI if working on my server which hosts the VM
i had fpl set to forward to my cell if pbx unavailable & my home panasonic system connects to our cells
a couple of months ago i noticed 1 of my wife's friends always calling in on my cell, thought it was just pilot error
but it turned out about 1/2 of the incoming calls were being forwarded to my cell
i started tracking it down a week ago
my helper has a pbx & fpl - we checked everything in my config against his (he has a microtik router - out of my league)

using linphone the problem points to my network
but 2 routers exhibit the same problem when using my pbx, which rules out firewall rules
could this be some sort of NAT issue?

the nagging question is what is different with the failing #'s
should be the same invite
mkaye
Quiet One

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/15/2022

mkaye wrote:modem is definitely in bridge mode

I would want to test that theory. Test with ATA configured directly with FPL (as mentioned in previous post) both before and after router.

i do have another trunk for business but it uses IAX, no issues (just checked using failing fpl #)

So your failing FPL number works for all incoming calls when the FPL number is configured on this trunk? And it's connected on the same LAN with the same Ubiquiti router?
If so, then forget what I said about the ATA.

i had fpl set to forward to my cell if pbx unavailable & my home panasonic system connects to our cells

This is off-topic, but are these Pansonic dect phones with Link2Cell (connecting via bluetooth)? If so, do callers ever notice echo when you're not on hands-free?
One family I know uses Panasonic Link2Cell, and the echo drives me nuts whenever I call them on their iPhones at home.

a couple of months ago i noticed 1 of my wife's friends always calling in on my cell, thought it was just pilot error
but it turned out about 1/2 of the incoming calls were being forwarded to my cell

Are you saying 50% of the same incoming calls from the exact same phone number to this FPL number work?

Or are you saying that, overall (in general), 50% of all incoming calls to this FPL number work?

If your NAT Keep Alive interval is 20 seconds for FPL, change (State timeout) "UDP Other" in Ubiquiti to 15 seconds.
In Merlin (General-->Tools-->Other Settings), "UDP Other" is called "UDP Timeout: Unreplied".
Whatever you have "UDP Other" set to, keep it at least 5 seconds lower than NAT Keep Alive timer.
If you want to leave UDP Other at 30 seconds, change NAT Keep Alive interval for FPL to 35 seconds.

Given that FPL's registration period is 3600 seconds, I would be more inclined to keep NAT Keep Alive (Notify or Options) set to 20 seconds (the lower interval), and, in turn, have UDP Other set to 15 seconds.
However, the longer 35s NAT Keep Alive interval should work as well.

If your failed registration retry interval is 120 seconds for FPL, change (State timeout) "UDP Stream" to 115 seconds.
In Merlin (General-->Tools-->Other Settings), "UDP Stream" is called "UDP Timeout: Assured".
Whatever you have "UDP Stream" set to, keep it at least 5 seconds lower than your failed registration retry timer for FPL (which should not be less than 120 seconds).
If you want to leave UDP stream at the default 180 seconds, increase your (failed) registration retry timer to 185 seconds for FPL.

https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

using linphone the problem points to my network

When using cellular data, you're not even using the same ISP. I would want to test with an ATA or IP Phone (configured with FPL) connected directly to my modem (in bridge mode, and get a log from it, if problems persist).
Is this an ISP issue? Is my ISP filtering traffic? Am I experiencing intermittent packet loss to and from FPL's servers (MTR/ping test). Is my ISP's gateway/hub altering SIP headers despite my having it in bridge mode? Is some sort of SPI being done despite my ISP's device being in bridge mode?

If everything is okay connected directly to the modem, then keep ATA configured with FPL. Disable all trunks on everything; connect ATA to Ubiquiti router, and test again . . . I've mentioned this previously.

but 2 routers exhibit the same problem when using my pbx, which rules out firewall rules

It's really simple to test this (but not safe, obviously). Drop the firewall and watch for incoming UDP packets from proxy.

could this be some sort of NAT issue?

If you were logging dropped packets in Merlin (Advanced-->Firewall--General-->logged packets type-->Dropped) and saw nothing from FPL's proxy, I don't see how the problem is firewall related.
And make sure that Advanced-->System Log-->General Log-->"Log only messages more urgent than" is set to "all".

Also go to Advanced-->System Log-->Connections. Look for established UDP connections. Check system log for related UDP connections from FPL's proxy.

If UDP traffic is being routed to the wrong trunk or IP, then . . . Are you able to get a pcap?

If FPL's proxy server is sending INVITE to 192.168.x.x (or whatever LAN IPs you're using) instead of your WAN IP, then that points to a SIP contact/via header problem (or ALG). It's impossible for users to see whether the proxy is sending data to a useless LAN IP. All we can do is check our outbound SIP contact header.

the nagging question is what is different with the failing #'s
should be the same invite

SIP ALG, depending on the implementation, messes up SIP signalling/headers for some calls with some carriers, but not necessarily all of them.
Look: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20182#p78916.
What that implies is SIP headers can be wrecked and still work fine with some carriers for incoming calls to FPL.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

OK, new day...

fired up asus again, updated firmware
finally got the failing fpl # to work!!
my cell # worked too (always did)
back to my udmpro - failing fpl # fails again
disabled pihole - no change
not sure what to look for now...
have SIP NAT disabled
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:fired up asus again, updated firmware

Let me know what SIP Passthrough was set to in Merlin, please. This might be important.

finally got the failing fpl # to work!!

Okay, so clearly it's not a modem/ISP issue.

have SIP NAT disabled

If SIP Passthrough was enabled in Merlin, try enabling SIP in your router.

Navigate to Routing & Firewall—>Firewall tab.
Click Settings.
Set SIP to ON.
Test again.

If that works PBX isn't getting external WAN IP sent in contact header, normally (with ALG disabled).

Actually, forget this. It rarely makes sense to enable SIP ALG.
Look for a solution involving FreePBX config instead.

not sure what to look for now.

Compare SIP log between Merlin and Ubiquiti. Compare the contact headers.

Should appear as

Contact: "mkaye" <sip:1myfplnumber@externalWANIPaddress:localUDPSIPPort>

where "externalWANIPaddress" should NOT be your LAN IP address and where localUDPSIPPort should NOT be FPL's Proxy SIP Port

I guess you don't want to answer my question about Link2Cell echo?
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Link2Cell no echo, well, maybe rarely, never an issue

SIP Helper off in merlin, & off in udmpro
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:Link2Cell no echo, well, maybe rarely, never an issue

Interesting. On Android?

SIP Helper off in merlin

Please be more specific since there's 3 settings for SIP Passthrough in Merlin.

Compare outgoing/sent contact SIP Header between when you're using Merlin and when you're using Ubiquiti routers.

Should appear as

Contact: "mkaye" <sip:1myfplnumber@externalWANIPaddress:UDPSIPPort>

where "externalWANIPaddress" should NOT be your LAN IP address and where UDPSIPPort should NOT be FPL's Proxy SIP Port

Checking your contact header should be done regardless of ALG setting.

If contact/via headers are correct, then it doesn't make sense that FPL proxy wouldn't be sending INVITE to your modem. Your router is doing something, and I would normally expect to be able to tell by checking router log.

The following helps to avoid UDP timeout/corruption problems with FPL, but I don't feel this is related to your issue:

If your NAT Keep Alive interval is 20 seconds for FPL, change (State timeout) "UDP Other" in Ubiquiti to 15 seconds.
In Merlin (General-->Tools-->Other Settings), "UDP Other" is called "UDP Timeout: Unreplied".
Whatever you have "UDP Other" set to, keep it at least 5 seconds lower than NAT Keep Alive timer.
If you want to leave UDP Other at 30 seconds, change NAT Keep Alive interval for FPL to 35 seconds.

Given that FPL's registration period is 3600 seconds, I would be more inclined to keep NAT Keep Alive (Notify or Options) set to 20 seconds (the lower interval), and, in turn, have UDP Other set to 15 seconds.

If your failed registration retry interval is 120 seconds for FPL, change (State timeout) "UDP Stream" to 115 seconds.
In Merlin (General-->Tools-->Other Settings), "UDP Stream" is called "UDP Timeout: Assured".
Whatever you have "UDP Stream" set to, keep it at least 5 seconds lower than your failed registration retry timer for FPL (which should not be less than 120 seconds).
If you want to leave UDP stream at the default 180 seconds, increase your (failed) registration retry timer to 185 seconds for FPL.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

yes, google pixel 5's

SIP Passthrough on merlin is disabled
in UDMPro i have conntrack modules - SIP disabled

remember that nothing arrives at UDMPro for failed calls
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:yes, google pixel 5's

Thanks

remember that nothing arrives at UDMPro for failed calls

I just remember you saying INVITE doesn't appear in SIP log.

You were able to confirm with Ubiquiti router log?

Again, have you checked the contact header?

Compare outgoing/sent contact SIP Header (from you) when you're using Merlin and when you're using Ubiquiti router.

Should appear as (or similar to)

Contact: "mkaye" <sip:1myfplnumber@externalPublicWANIPaddress:UDPSIPPort>

or Contact:sip:1myfplnumber@externalPublicWANIPaddress:UDPSIPPort

where "externalPublicWANIPaddress" should NOT be your LAN IP address and where UDPSIPPort should NOT be FPL's Proxy SIP Port

Checking your contact header should be done regardless of ALG setting.

If contact header is correct, then it doesn't make sense that FPL proxy wouldn't be sending INVITE to your modem.
Often when nothing is received, LAN IP appears in the contact header instead (I've also seen the wrong UDP port listed before as well).
If UDP port is changed in the contact header from what you expect, then it's possibly being rewritten by your router/firewall.

The following resolves UDP timeout/NAT corruption problems with FPL (I'm doubtful this has anything to with a single call, but you were mentioning 50%, which is periodic; I probably misunderstood what you meant. I doubt this is related to anything involving your problem):

Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

checked UDP timeouts
same on both routers 30/180
tried 15/115s, fpl # still fails

not sure what my NAT keepalive value in freepbx is
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote: keepalive value in freepbx is

For your FPL trunk,
SIP settings-->
Peer details-->

keepalive=20

Anyway, I'm more interested in how your contact SIP header appears in your SIP logs.
Your public WAN IP needs to be in it, along with the correct UDP port (not FPL's proxy server port).
Don't post your public WAN IP. I just want to make sure it's 10.0.x.x or 192.168.x.x
I'm sure you understand that if FPL sends anything to 192.168.1.xx, that's utterly useless.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

username=<my#>
type=peer
secret=<mysecret>
qualify=yes
insecure=invite
host=voip.freephoneline.ca
fromdomain=voip.freephoneline.ca
dtmfmode=rfc2833
disallow=all
context=from-trunk
allow=ulaw

no keepalive

is this the contact header?

INVITE sip:1613xxxx@208.65.240.44.:5060 SIP/2.0

from successful call from my cell
doesn't appear in log for failed calls
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:
no keepalive

Then add it.

is this the contact header?

No.

Make sure not to post your FPL number or your public WAN IP address, please.

Search for "contact" in your SIP log.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

i searched for Contact: in asterisk log

all i can find is
but has my internal IP, not public
i can't find any that have <my fpl #>@<public ip>

also see these

104 & 500 are extensions

here is a successful call
INVITE sip:<my fpl #>@208.65.240.44:5060 SIP/2.0
Record-Route: <sip:<my fpl #>@208.65.240.44;lr=on>
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 208.65.240.44;branch=z9hG4bKe241.0b18bbb2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 208.85.218.148:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-524287-1---3c0ce8e1abc3a0f48486e7d00c49c0cf;rport=5060
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 208.85.218.151:5060;branch=z9hG4bK-524287-1---444769b7b30d23c9ccf9a33f8604be24;rport=5060
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 208.85.218.149:5071;rport=5071;branch=z9hG4bK-kzqsnlciuqo6wwtk
Max-Forwards: 68
Route: <sip:<my fpl #>@208.65.240.44;lr;received='sip:24.246.4.212:1024'>
Record-Route: <sip:208.85.218.148;lr;ep>
Record-Route: <sip:208.85.218.151;lr;ep>
To: <sip:<my fpl #>@208.85.218.148>
mkaye
Quiet One

mkaye wrote:Contact: <sip:<my fpl #>@<pi internal ip>:5060>
but has my internal IP, not public

(Are you actually using UDP 5060 for your local FPL sip port? Not using UDP 5060 locally may help avoid potential SIP ALG issues, among other problems. I would suggest using a high, random UDP port between 30000 and 60000 instead for SIP signalling with FPL.)

Get your contact and via header switched to your WAN IP for FPL. This is less of an issue with other providers, but it's important for FPL due to the way their switches have been configured.
It can lead to the problem you're experiencing. Contact header should be set to use WAN IP. So should VIA header.

Respectfully, I'm going to ask you to please continue on FreePBX's forums because I don't really support FreePBX, and this is eating up a lot of my time (more importantly, I'm recovering from a hospital stay).
Someone at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip will likely be able to assist as well.
Tell them your contact header has your LAN IP. You want that switched to external, public WAN, along with your local SIP signalling Port--and not FPL's proxy port.

Check your Via header as well.

Here is a related thread: https://community.freepbx.org/t/incorre ... ader/78265.

If INVITE is being sent from voip.freephoneline.ca to 192.168.24.22 (random LAN IP I made up), for example, that's useless. Internet just drops private addresses. Why isn't this happening with all calls?
I strongly suspect it's for the exact same reason having SIP Passthrough set to "Enabled+NAT Helper" doesn't affect all incoming calls from all carriers when using Merlin with FPL. I'm not saying you have SIP ALG enabled. The point is having LAN IP in contact header and in via doesn't appear to stop all incoming calls from all carriers when using FPL from working.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

If you look at mango's post at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16292#p67738, there's a reason why FPL's users are supposed to be using external WAN in the contact header.
"SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses" needs to be set to "WAN address".
That's for Grandstream devices.

For Linksys/Cisco devices,
Navigate to the SIP tab-->NAT Support Parameters, and make sure that the following settings are enabled:
a)Handle VIA received-->yes
b)Handle VIA rport-->yes
c)Substitute VIA Addr-->yes

For Obihai devices,
Navigate to ITSP Profile (FPL)-->SIP-->
X_DiscoverPublicAddress enabled
and
X_UsePublicAddressInVia enabled

Those settings in those respective devices are trying to accomplish the same thing: both FPL proxy signalling and RTP stream need to be sent to WAN IP over the internet and not to a private LAN IP.
Having LAN IPs in your contact header can lead to the problem you're having with FPL.
The contact headers and via headers related to endpoints/services not using FPL don't matter. For your problem, just focus on FPL.

Also check your "Via" headers for FPL (search for "via").

example. "Via: SIP/2.0/UDP WANIP:localUDPSIPPort"

If you have LANIP instead of WANIP, and if localUDPSIPPort isn't what you expect, in Via, try to get that changed.

If the only thing that changed between Merlin working and Ubquiti not working is the router, then it seems reasonable to contrast SIP headers and logs from both scenarios.

Has some variation of
nat=yes
externip=youractual WAN IP
been tried?

You may need to use a DDNS to update external address for PBX.

If you happen to find a solution to your issue, please share. Not having WAN IP in contact/via can lead to one-way audio problems with FPL's switches.
If anyone else wants to help mkaye, feel free.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby mkaye » 11/19/2022

fixed: disabled jumbo frames
seems to be a bug in the firmware
mkaye
Quiet One

Postby Liptonbrisk » 11/19/2022

I can’t see how jumbo frames would alter SIP headers, much less why all calls wouldn’t be affected, but jumbo frames can delay UDP streams (causing choppy audio) and affect multicast.

I’m glad the problem is fixed.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Previous

Return to Community Support