[Resolved] SPA112s not registered at two different locations

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Resolved] SPA112s not registered at two different locations

Postby slimmswitch » 03/25/2023

Just wondering if there was any changes to freephoneline.ca settings recently, if not if can someone help me out.

I have 2 Cisco SPA112 at 2 different locations (2 different accounts) that no longer seems to work, pick up the phone I get no dial tone. If you call the numbers goes directly to VM.

I've been running the same config for years with out issue. I tried today to adjust my settings to SIP Server: voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 Transport: UDP Port: 6060
to see if that would do anything. Same issue. (Previously it was voip.freephoneline.ca port 5060)

In my spa112 internet settings, they do show as Link connected

I do see that under Line 1 the registration state is showing as failed .. What would be causing that?

I'm using my cisco SPA112 at each location with Bell as the ISP and the Home Hub 4000.

Wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to get this working again.
slimmswitch
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Bell
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Home Hub 4000

Re: SPA112s not registered at two different locations

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/25/2023

slimmswitch wrote:Just wondering if there was any changes to freephoneline.ca settings recently

Freephoneline accounts are now being blocked for not using a 3600 second registration interval. Otherwise, not that I've been made aware of, no.
I have multiple VoIP unlock keys registered at multiple locations.
Do you hear an error message when dialing out? If so, what is it?

If your account(s) are blocked, visit viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20537, and read carefully.

Otherwise, click viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532. You can ignore steps 7,8, 10, 11, 22, 23, 24, and 27 until registration has been established.

Some additional considerations follow:

A. Obviously, one of the first things that can happen is ISP related. A DNS issue (where you suddenly can't reach a server using the proxy name, for example) or a routing problem between you and the proxy server being used can develop. Step 26 from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532 shows how to test for those two issues (winmtr test can help pinpoint a routing problem).

B. Have you been trying to use your FPL accounts on SIP apps or other devices? Using the same FPL account on more than one line can drop registration on your ATA when using the same proxy server.

Disconnect your ATAs for at least an hour and login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings
If SIP Status shows "Connected" at that point and if you also see a SIP User Agent that you don't recognize, you have a problem. In that case, someone and something else is using your FPL account(s).

C. NAT corruption can develop in users' routers (your hub) without them doing anything differently. That can happen due to using incorrect UDP timeouts in routers as described in point 28 from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20532. Testing for that problem (should it arise again when registration fails) is simple enough and described in step 12 from that link.

D. If you were not using a 120 second failed registration timer (and a lot of old FPL guides didn't included that setting), you can be temporarily IP banned by the FPL proxy server that was being used. (If you switched to voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060, on one of the ATA lines, from a different proxy, then the problem wasn't being IP banned.) Also changing to a different proxy should reset NAT associations (point 5 above).

When registration fails, the failed registration timer setting indicates how often the ATA is going to attempt to register again. If that setting is set to 10 seconds, for example, you can be IP banned eventually.

"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines."
https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8

If that rate limit has changed since then, I'm not aware. I've encountered that situation before, and I'm not going to test.

Being temporarily IP banned can also occur when using registration timers with short intervals with Freephoneline. Too many registrations attempts within a short period can lead to an IP ban. Keep in mind that every time you reboot the ATA (or power cycle it), it's attempting to register with Freephoneline proxy server(s) again. The same (typically) happens when you run a SIP app.

E. One FPL account means you can only register one line on one an ATA using it. Don't register the same FPL account on both ATAs.

Your ATA configuration guide is located at viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16206.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby slimmswitch » 03/25/2023

Thanks, I found one of your other posts and made the adjustments and now it seems to be working.

Would you happen to know, what would cause a echo. Both my ata have the same settings but one seems to echo when I talk?
slimmswitch
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.4.1
ISP Name: Bell
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Home Hub 4000

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/25/2023

slimmswitch wrote:Thanks, I found one of your other posts and made the adjustments and now it seems to be working.

Great!

Would you happen to know, what would cause a echo. Both my ata have the same settings but one seems to echo when I talk?

1. Check to ensure you're using the lastest version of your ATA's firmware: https://software.cisco.com/download/hom ... .4.1%20SR5
(I accept no responsibility for failed firmware updates).

2. Login to ATA. Navigate to Line 1-->Audio Configuration-->Preferred Codec
a) set to "G711u"

submit settings

If you find you still have problems, you can see whether changing these settings helps:

c) Echo Canc Enable
d) Echo Canc Adapt Enable
e) Try Network Jitter Level set to Low

Mostly, it's been reported that updating firmware helps. I don't have your specific ATA model to test.

If you happen to be using Link2Cell or bluetooth from a Panasonic DECT base to connect to a smartphone, try a call without using Link2Cell (that is, disable bluetooth, and try again).
You can also try asking at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip to see if anyone has other suggestions (possibly adjusting FXS Port Output gain may help, which affects the volume of what you hear).
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Return to Community Support