Blocking CID Does Not Block the Number!

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Blocking CID Does Not Block the Number!

Postby MichaelVoIP » 03/26/2023

I believe that activating 'Block CID Per Call Act Code' in the Cisco SPA-122 ATA (*81) was blocking both the name and the phone number. But now the name shows 'Anonymous' but the telephone number is still being transmitted. Is there a way to block the CID completely?
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1(SR5)
ISP Name: EBox/Nexicom 50/10 Mbps
Computer OS: macOS Ventura 13.4
Router: Apple Time Capsule
Smartphone Model: iPhone 14 Pro Max
Android Version: No way!
iOS Version: 16.5

Re: Blocking CID Does Not Block the Number!

Postby MichaelVoIP » 03/26/2023

I am thinking 'Block CID Per Call Act Code' only blocks 'Display Name' in ATA but Frephoneline still transmits the number?
MichaelVoIP
Quiet One

SIP Device Name: Cisco SPA122
Firmware Version: 1.4.1(SR5)
ISP Name: EBox/Nexicom 50/10 Mbps
Computer OS: macOS Ventura 13.4
Router: Apple Time Capsule
Smartphone Model: iPhone 14 Pro Max
Android Version: No way!
iOS Version: 16.5

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/26/2023

MichaelVoIP wrote:Is there a way to block the CID completely?

Officially, no. Freephoneline changed its policy years ago. They stopped allowing *67 to work at the provider level (see #1 below) to prevent abuse. It's allowed for Fongo Home Phone users though: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... Home-Phone (go figure). There have been a few exceptions made for certain individuals using FPL, but it's rare

1) You can send *67 through the service provider, who then either accepts the star code or doesn't do anything. FPL, by default, doesn't do anything. At least that was the case the last time I tested.

2) You can have *67 processed by your ATA, which sends an anonymous call flag in the SIP header along the path to the receiving carrier that, in turn, has to recognize and agree to not show CID. *67 (outgoing CID block). Calls to Telus mobile numbers worked when *67 is processed by Obihai ATAs immediately after server migration. No CID info appeared on the receiving end. I'm not sure if *67 still works (I'm too busy to test this). But I know it did work for Obihai ATAs immediately after server migration because I tested by dialing Telus Mobility numbers.

In this case you're doing #2. When *67 is parsed by an ATA or IP Phone, my FPL number constantly appears when calling Fongo Mobile numbers. But it's blocked when calling regular Telus mobile numbers, for example. Telus Mobility acknowledges the CID block flag and complies. Fongo Mobile doesn't. For whatever reason *67 seems to work with Obihai ATAs and IP Phones, at least when calling non-VoIP numbers.

If my FPL account accepted the *67 code (when sending *67 through FPL and not having the star code processed by my ATA instead) and agreed to block outgoing CID, my FPL number would not appear when calling Fongo Mobile numbers. Refer to point #1.

A. FPL doesn't support *67 (anonymous call blocking), officially, at the provider level. Whether it works is dependent upon the ATA.

B. Using *67 in Linksys ATAs/Cisco ATAs with FPL has been reported to drop calls after 15 minutes.

So, using it should be avoided.

In your ATA, navigate to Voice tab-->Line tab (whichever you use for FPL)-->Supplementary Service Subscription-->Block CID Serv:
a) change to no
b) Click "submit"

Do this to avoid 15 minute call disconnections with Freephoneline.

albeause wrote:Hi !

To answer your question,, yes it drops in 15 mins every single time, when the *67 is activated. I tried FPL to Bell lan line, FPL to cellphone Videotron and FPL to Bell Mobility. All three does the same result after 15mins mark,, the call dropped.

I did capture syslogs, with spa2102 set in full debug, and it does not show the issue. The SIP/2.0 200 Ok and NOTIFY sip messages are still transmitting from the ATA to the proxy even the call is dropped on the cellphone (which it could be normal to continue the registration). There is no special log when the call drop. I remark is when the disconnect occurs on the cellphone on the 15 mins, there is no hang up logs (BYE Sip, CC: ended, FM Alert Stop Rx Tx, or AUD rel Call). Normally without *67, (*68 activated) when the other end hangs up,, you get these logs and also you will get the busy tone, followed with a fast busy tone. You don't hear any tone when *67 is activated, it comes dead-air.

Cyber wrote:
2020-01-20 - 10:48 (EST) ISSUE SOLVED

After more than 4 hours of calls test, I found what cause the outgoing call drop.

Before the migration, blocked CID calls was showing "ANONYMOUS". After the migration, blocked CID calls show "unavailable".

The issue is with the Caller ID. I turned off Block CID Serv and no more call drop at 15 minutes 04 seconds :D

Cyber wrote:The bug seem to be the "Block CID Serv" feature with the SPA112.

TEST #1 :

Block CID Serv set to "NO"
Display Name set to "Anonymous"

I called my Koodo mobile phone. Caller ID and call log on my mobile phone show "Private Call".
No disconnect after 15 minutes.

TEST #2 :

Block CID Serv set to "YES"
Display Name set to "Anonymous"

I called my Koodo mobile phone. Caller ID on my mobile phone show "Private Call" and call log show "unavailable".
The call drop after 15 minutes.

---------------------------------------

The issue is related with the "Block CID Serv" feature and "unavailable" Caller ID in my mobile phone call log.

I had a similar conversation over here with a Grandstream user: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20194&p=78948.

and

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19391&p=75892
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby Liptonbrisk » 03/26/2023

I was trying to find old conversations about this.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1198&p=11391#p10346

FONGO_steve wrote:
Funkytown wrote:Can we have an update to when we will be able to block our phone numbers again like before? I would like the feature added back as soon as possiable cause I prefer certain people NOT to be able to get my number for personal reasons to another.

Thanks!

Although it did work for some before, we never did officially support it. At present time there is no update on when this will be available again, but if and when it does happen, we will make sure to notify everyone.

*67 works with Fongo Home Phone, and you can block outbound CID with Fongo Mobile now though. So, I'm not sure why FPL VoIP unlock key customers were excluded.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby fguser100 » 03/27/2023

Liptonbrisk wrote:
MichaelVoIP wrote:Is there a way to block the CID completely?

B. Using *67 in Linksys ATAs/Cisco ATAs with FPL has been reported to drop calls after 15 minutes.

So, using it should be avoided.

Maybe it's a equivalent to make a call without register, and again maybe if using *67 and then put a hold at 14 minutes mark and resume the call might go thru pass 15 minutes. NOTES: I have not tested. It's only a thought.
fguser100
Quiet One

Return to Community Support