"This account is blocked"

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

Re: "This account is blocked"

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/20/2023

jenom wrote:CCTS does not list Freephoneline as a "Participating Service Provider", however Fongo is there and Fibernetics too.
Maybe this is how they want to prevent a complaint from a FPL user ?

Fongo is the service provider. They own and operate Freephoneline.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3754#p19632 (2012)
FONGO_steve wrote:We are in the midst of transitioning our freephoneline name to Fongo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120211042 ... fongo.html

Fongo wrote:Is Fongo a CLEC?
No, but we’re good friends with one.
A CLEC (competitive local exchange carrier) is a government regulated classification for phone companies. Fongo has agreements with Fibernetics, a CLEC with a national telco network. These agreements allow Fongo to leverage Fibernetics' network assets and regulatory status, providing Fongo with a huge cost advantage over other VoIP providers. We pass these savings on to customers.

What’s Fongo’s track record?
Fongo has been providing free calling across Canada since 2009 under the name freephoneline.ca. We’ve powered millions of free phone calls and saved Canadians millions of dollars. In 2010, we launched our first partner brand – BudPhone – with Labatt Breweries. The team behind Fongo has a long history of offering innovative calling services dating back to 1997.

How are Fongo and Fibernetics related?
Fongo was formally spun-out of Fibernetics in 2010. Fongo and Fibernetics are now independent companies. That said, we really like each other.

Fongo uses Fibernetics' network, and Fibernetics is the CLEC that provides numbers for Fongo.

jenom wrote:However, as far as I know I am NOT a Fongo customer

You are.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Postby jenom » 04/20/2023

While I am waiting for my "account blocked" ticket processed, I am getting familiar with CCTS complaint process.
Blocking an account and stopping a service is clearly counts as "Disconnection of Services"
This is from CCTS Deposit and Disconnection Code:

Article 3: Disconnection of Services

3.2 At least 14 days prior to disconnection, unless the circumstances contemplated in Sections 3.3(b) or 3.3(c) exist, the Company must provide reasonable notice to the customer, stating:
(a) the reason for the proposed disconnection and the amount owing (if any);
(b) the scheduled disconnection date;
(c) where the reason for disconnection is a failure to pay, the availability of a deferred payment plan if the Company typically offers such plans;
(d) the reconnection charge, if any; and
(e) the telephone number of a Company representative with whom the disconnection or any dispute may be discussed.

If the customer has provided the Company with an email address where they can be notified and where the customer has provided express consent to this form of notification in relation to disconnection, the Company may elect to provide the disconnection notice by email to such email address.
3.3 At least twenty-four hours prior to disconnection, the Company must advise the customer that disconnection is imminent, except where:
(a) repeated attempts to advise the customer of imminent disconnection have failed;
(b) immediate action must be taken to protect the Company from network harm;
(c) the Company has a reasonable suspicion that fraudulent activity has occurred, is occurring, or is likely to occur with respect to customer’s Services (For the purposes of this section and the Code generally, a failure to pay arrears for the Services is not, by itself, to be considered “fraudulent activity”); or
(d) otherwise required by the order of a competent public authority.

My understanding of the above is, that FONGO should have provided both 14 days and 24 hour notice prior of blocking my service, with a reason, a disconnection date, and contact number for CSR; ......(specially when their disconnection denies access of calling 911 emergency services)
-- unless they can provide evidence that situation of Sections 3.3(b) or 3.3(c) exist

I am also suspecting that their current average 1 week + "degraded performance" customer service response time is not up to some Canadian Telecom Services standards.
jenom
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: VDV21
ISP Name: Acanac VDSL
Computer OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
Router: Linksys-EA6900-XWRT-VORTEX

jenom wrote:I am also suspecting that their current average 1 week + "degraded performance" customer service response time

No one, except them, knows what their average response time is. They took 24 hours to respond to raju121: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20587#p80590.

I have spoken to someone at CCTS about this situation because I was curious, and the rep stated that without knowing the reason for the account block, he has no idea what applies.
"We deal with everything on a case by case basis", which I already knew.

If anyone does choose to use CCTS, I would be interested in learning what happens if it's not too much trouble. Hopefully tickets are answered before it comes to that.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby jenom » 04/20/2023

According to Fongo Support webpage, 1-2 business day.
Since I am already at day 3, now I need to submit additional request ? .....just to be ignored for much longer ?

If you have an issue with your Fongo service, always submit a support request to our support/billing team first. If we haven't resolved the issue within 1-2 business days, we encourage you to submit an additional request with more details/info about your issue, which can help us better understand and resolve the problem.

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... -Complaint

As per CCTS guide lines, Fongo should have given 14 days notice, including a reason, so the customer can correct the problematic issue >>>They did NOT !
Are they protecting their network from immediate harm ? This very likely refers to security attacks, virus, malware, etc...
My device , with the same settings (maybe not the most ideal) is connected to their network for many years, and until now it was working.

Fongo is clearly mistreating their FPL customers, as they paid already, they are not a revenue source, just a costly load on their system.
I hope that all the disconnected FPL customers , --after opening the ticket and wait for 2 business days-- would file the complaint with CCTS .
Fongo needs to know, that many FPL customers are not happy how they are mistreated, and if enough complaint received, they might make some positive changes.
jenom
Active Poster

jenom wrote:According to Fongo Support webpage, 1-2 business day.
Since I am already at day 3, now I need to submit additional request ?

That's up to you. If my ticket wasn't responded to and remained open after a week, I know what I would do. I am confident that I'm not breaking guidelines or terms of service. Consequently, I wouldn't be opening another ticket, and I would probably be angry.

just to be ignored for much longer ?

I'm not sure what you think complaining here, repeatedly, accomplishes. Complaining once or twice . . . okay, fine. But who are you complaining to? Do you see Fongo responding to you here? Do you see any evidence that they're reading what you post? I don't.

Since you're not complaining to Fongo then, are you complaining to me? To Jake? To other volunteer moderators? We don't work for Fongo.

You were shown what you can do. I did try to help you.

As per CCTS guide lines, Fongo should have given 14 days notice, including a reason, so the customer can correct the problematic issue

That depends on the situation and the reason for the account block, according to the CCTS rep I spoke to.

When law enforcement requests are being submitted to Fongo due to users' activities, I'm doubtful CCTS would side with users in those instances.

You may be correct concerning your account. I have no idea, nor does anyone else who's posted here.

Fongo needs to know, that many FPL customers are not happy how they are mistreated, and if enough complaint received, they might make some positive changes.

If you feel that way, then you are welcome to tell them: https://support.fongo.com/hc/requests/new. I don't see any evidence of any Fongo employee reading your posts on these forums.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18742&p=73614&#p73608

Fongo Support wrote:
remember- FPL has over 500k customers

Maybe if they angered hundreds, something would happen. I count well under 30 complaints about account blocks across forums (here, Reddit, RFD, Dslreports, etc.).

I do share some of your concerns, but continuing to complain here is ultimately pointless. Account suspensions aren’t fixed on these forums.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby jenom » 04/21/2023

I will wait few more days , than will consider a CCTS complaint.
However, I have very little faith in a process, likely my account will be permanently terminated as a result.
Fongo is going to use
3.3 (b) immediate action must be taken to protect the Company from network harm;

as a justification for a block/disconnect with no notice.
It would be impossible for me to provide evidence that I did not do such thing --Guilty Until Proven Innocent-- (as in North-Korea, Mexico, etc...)
jenom
Active Poster

Postby Liptonbrisk » 04/21/2023

jenom wrote:However, I have very little faith in a process, likely my account will be permanently terminated as a result.

Why do you feel that way? Anyway, you can't use your VoIP unlock key right now. So, I'm uncertain how much worse the situation could become.

I suggest reading viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20468&start=25#p80651 and viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20468&start=25#p80763.

Fongo is going to use
3.3 (b) immediate action must be taken to protect the Company from network harm;

Do you have any idea why your account was suspended? Were you using it for Rogers reselling? Did an angry customer file a complaint against you?
I don't know what the reason is, so I have no idea what happened.

You are using an unlocked Vonage ATA. Did it happen to contact home and revert the registration interval on you?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20566#p80688

I think <regRetryTimer>120</regRetryTimer> is the failed registration retry timer. I'm pretty sure it is. That is, after your ATA fails to register, it waits 120 seconds before attempting to register again.

I think <registrationTimer>3600</registrationTimer> means the ATA tries to register every 3600 seconds, but I'm not positive. Normally, I would expect that to represent the registration expiration time.

If it turns out that there is no way to change registration interval using your Vonage VDV-21 ATA (if it doesn't default to 3600 seconds), then it can't be used with Freephoneline.

I'm not familiar with your Vonage ATA at all. I have no manual to refer to.

I don't know Fongo's side of the story concerning your account, so I am not in a position to judge.

as a justification for a block/disconnect with no notice

I don't know. mk25317 got a Fongo Mobile block lifted via CCTS: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=20468&start=25#p80763.
That situation is different though (account blocked due to downloading the app from an unofficial source).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

I have a 100% properly configured HT-502 now
Maybe there was a setting issue with a previously used unlocked VDV21, not sure, don't know
Fongo should state a "their reason" when they finally reply to my ticket in next few days? /weeks? /months?
I am getting my cell phone service from a Rogers service reseller--I am NOT a Rogers reseller of anything
Depends on the reply from Fongo, I will decide if I want to go to a CCTS way
jenom
Active Poster

jenom wrote:I have a 100% properly configured HT-502 now

Okay, so this guide should work: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16338.
Oh, it doesn't have “SIP Registration Failure Retry Wait Time” set to 120 seconds in that PDF file. I edited the first post in that thread just now.

Register Expiration needs to be 60 minutes (or 3600 seconds).

Please take note of whether your ATA’s webUI designates minutes or seconds for that setting.

Make sure the VDV21 is unplugged (and anything else that may be using your FPL VoIP unlock key).

I'm guessing you still hear an "account blocked" message on the HT-502?

Depends on the reply from Fongo, I will decide if I want to go to a CCTS way

If you don't receive a response, CCTS is an option. If you are really upset, my 1 week wait period was just a suggestion. No one is forced to wait a week. The decision is yours, of course.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

I'm guessing you still hear an "account blocked" message on the HT-502?

Yes, and My Account webpage..Settings.....SIP shows "disconnected" status
jenom
Active Poster

jenom wrote:
Yes, and My Account webpage..Settings.....SIP shows "disconnected" status

Then the only way for you to get this fixed involves communication with Fongo.

If you want, you can open another ticket, but it'll probably just be added to the bottom of the pile. You already have an open ticket with them.

Fongo does have https://twitter.com/Fongo_Support/with_replies. I'm not sure if anyone there responds to direct messages.
Similarly, they appear to be on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FongoMobile/. Again, I don't know whether anyone will respond to you.
They might.

Their phone number is 6478471355, but I don't believe they answer phone calls. You may be able to leave a message. I doubt they'll respond to it.

If they won't read your ticket or otherwise communicate with you, CCTS is the only other way I can think of to get through to Fongo as a customer.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

only way I can think of to get through to Fongo as a customer

there is always another way, maybe I drop by at 200.Bathurst Drive in Waterloo
however, they do not have a Visitors Parking
jenom
Active Poster

jenom wrote:
there is always another way, maybe I drop by at 200.Bathurst Drive in Waterloo
however, they do not have a Visitors Parking

Visiting won't help since they have been working remotely since 2020:
https://twitter.com/Fongo_Support/statu ... 4765648902.

Fongo Support wrote:Mar 16, 2020, 19:55 UTC
Monitoring - We are implementing a Work From Home policy for our Support and Sales staff going forward. This may lead to additional delays in answering support

I inquired today about the delay with Freephoneline account tickets responses.

"We lost two support agents recently, one temporarily due to a family illness, so they are triaging tickets more towards services with monthly fees until they catch up. We have replacements, but they are in training so that just slows their whole team down."
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Using voip3.freephoneline.ca will get your account blocked: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials.
Only use the servers listed at that site.

Frankly, some people should know better by now.

Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby kehodder » 04/21/2023

Good news....Account unlocked! Day 9 since submission of ticket...no response and still shows as "open" but account is no longer blocked. Able to make a receive calls.
kehodder
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: ObiHai Obi200
Firmware Version: 3.1.1 build 5804
ISP Name: Shaw
Router: Xwrt-Vortex Merlin

kehodder wrote:Good news....Account unlocked! Day 9 since submission of ticket...no response and still shows as "open" but account is no longer blocked. Able to make a receive calls.

Good.

Someone did something nice (or you changed to a 3600 second registration interval, which was finally permitted).

I inquired today about the delay with Freephoneline account tickets responses.

"We lost two support agents recently, one temporarily due to a family illness, so they are triaging tickets more towards services with monthly fees until they catch up. We have replacements, but they are in training so that just slows their whole team down."

Make sure you're not using voip3.freephoneline.ca for ProxyServer: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials. You must use one of the servers listed at that site.

Ensure your RegistrationPeriod is 3600 seconds

Ensure your RegisterRetryInterval is 120 seconds
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

@Everyone,

1. Don't use voip3.freephoneline.ca. Use these servers if you don't want your account blocked: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials

2. Use a 3600 second registration interval.

3. Don't make test 911 calls.

4. Don't commit fraud or use unauthorized SIP credentials.

"We lost two support agents recently, one temporarily due to a family illness, so they are triaging tickets more towards services with monthly fees until they catch up."

If you submit a ticket (choose "My Account Inquiry" for the final issue type for an account block), I suggest waiting a week to see whether you receive a response before pursuing another option (Fongo on twitter, Fongo on facebook, or, finally, CCTS).

I appreciate some people have immediate requirements and can't wait, but, respectfully, maybe Fongo doesn't hate you as much as you think. I suggest give them a chance to respond.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

jenom's issue is also resolved by the way.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

yes, indeed, both of my account got unblocked, up & running
just an idea: maybe Fongo should restrict a login if a customer not supposed to use that server
by the way: whom the voip3.freephoneline.ca server is intended for?
if it is for Fongo Home Phone users only, it would be smart to rename to a voip#.fongo.com or sip#.fongo.com
jenom
Active Poster

I just did a server name/ip address lookup and discovered that it is a total mess:

voip.freephoneline.ca 208.65.240.44
voip2.freephoneline.ca 162.213.111.22

voip3.freephoneline.ca = sip.fongo.com = voip.fongo.com = 208.85.218.148
voip4.freephoneline.ca = sip2.fongo.com = 162.213.111.21
voip5.freephoneline.ca = sip3.fongo.com = 162.213.111.20

Although the server name says "Freephoneline", looks like #3, #4, #5 would get a Freephoneline user into a "block"
jenom
Active Poster

voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 is permitted and always has been.

It’s very simple. Read: https://support.freephoneline.ca/hc/en- ... redentials.
Don’t read? Refuse to follow requirements? Play around and find out.

No PDF guide here states to use anything else.

If someone has a suggestion, submit it as "Feedback": https://support.fongo.com/hc/requests/new.

Otherwise, my patience grows thin.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Jake » 04/21/2023

jenom wrote:by the way: whom the voip3.freephoneline.ca server is intended for?

I think it's been linked to the desktop app in the past, but I am unsure. I think I also remember it being one of their internal test servers, again I can't be 100% on that.

What I do know is I have been warning people not to use the voip3 server since 2014
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16862&p=66104&sid=c22404c9bebc8b461969e5e9ab09b49e#p66104

They have their reasons to have it, and also they have their reasons to insist people stick to the posted ones.

Glad you are back up and running again!
Jake
Technical Support

Postby jenom » 04/23/2023

yes, I am happy to have service back again on both of my lines after few days of delays.
FPL users needs to follow ALL the guidelines, as it seems the rules are now strictly enforced
thank you for all the input and for help I received.
jenom
Active Poster

Previous

Return to Community Support