[Resolved]HT-701 with Bell, calling HT-701 with Rogers

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Resolved]HT-701 with Bell, calling HT-701 with Rogers

Postby Bro » 05/06/2023

Started today, never happened before. When I call a particular number that I call frequently, I get "The person you are trying to reach is not available,..." If I call with my cell, no problem...If I call other phone numbers, no problem... If a call is made to my phone from this particular number, no problem. I tried restarting my HT-701... but not the other one yet.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Bro
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.8.2
ISP Name: Bell
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Bell Hub 2000

Re: Granstream HT-710 with Bell, calling HT-710 with Rogers

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/06/2023

Bro wrote:Started today, never happened before. When I call a particular number that I call frequently, I get "The person you are trying to reach is not available,..."

You're reaching FPL's voicemail system. The person that you're calling is also using Freephoneline, correct?

I tried restarting my HT-710... but not the other one yet.

What is the brand and model of

1) the modem and

2) router being used on the other side (Rogers), at the destination you're calling?

Any suggestions?

Yes. The person with Rogers should follow these steps, step by step, down the list: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20539. In other words, I don't believe the Bell side of the call is the problem since it can receive calls from (Freephoneline?) Rogers.

The Rogers end should especially follow steps 1, 2, 3, 12A, 12H, 13, 14, 15, 17, and 18.

I suspect a SIP ALG issue or, less likely, a possible cached DNS issue. Another possibility includes your specific FPL phone number (Bell side) being accidentally blocked on the Rogers side of the call by whatever phone system is being used (some phone handsets do have the option to block specific numbers). If a number is blocked, the incoming call drops to FPL's voicemail system.

If this is an FPL to FPL call, it's a SIP to SIP call, and it's likely treated as a SIP URI call.

3. Get SIP ALG disabled in the router being used on the destination side of the call (Rogers).

Here are examples for disabling SIP ALG in Rogers gateways. This matters if the user is not using a separate router in addition to one supplied by the ISP.

i) Hitron CGN3ACSMR and CODA-4582 series gateway modem/router combo from Rogers (and possibly other ISPs)

Open your web browser, and login at 192.168.0.1. Default username is cusadmin.
Select the “Basic” tab and disable “SIP ALG.” Click the “save changes” button.

ii) HItron CODA--4680 (possibly from Fizz and other ISPs)

Login at192.168.0.1.
Navigate to Basic Settings -->Gateway Function tab
Disable SIP ALG
Save Changes.

iii) Arris XB6 from Rogers

Open your web browser, and login at 10.0.0.1
Navigate to Advanced-->Options.
Uncheck the SIP box.
Click "Apply".

iv) Technicolor XB7 from Rogers

Note that here isn't an option to disable SIP ALG in a (Technicolor CGM4331COM) XB7 (Gen 2) gateway with this Rogers firmware version:
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_21.1_d31 & Prod_21.1
Software Image Name: CGM4331COM_5.2p12s1_PROD_sey

According to a tier 2 rep at Rogers, SIP ALG is enabled by default in XB7 with no way to disable it.
I'm not sure whether that representative is correct (the part about SIP ALG being enabled). However, the response from Rogers seems to coincide with what's happening in Xfinity/Comcast XB7's in the U.S.: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversation ... 66f45f8df1. If you are experiencing issues with a Rogers XB7, try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 along with a high, random local SIP Port (X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000 with Obihai ATAs and Obihai IP Phones, and SIP Port, found by navigating to Voice-->whatever Line you're using for FPL-->SIP settings, should be a random number between 30000 and 60000 when using a Linksys/Cisco ATA).

v) XB8 (Gen 3) has just been released from Rogers

I have no information yet concerning whether SIP ALG can be disabled in the XB8.
A tier 2 rep mentioned that Rogers is moving towards locking out administration setting changes for users, so it's doubtful that SIP ALG can be disabled in the XB8, but we'll have to wait to confirm.
His reasoning is that if you can't disable SIP ALG in XB7, it's unlikely XB8 will offer the capacity to disable SIP ALG either.

If the user is using a separate router, the Rogers gateway should be put in bridge mode, and SIP ALG should be disabled in the user's router.

4. Enter "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" without the quotation marks for Primary SIP server in the ATA's webUI at the destination (Rogers). voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 helps to circumvent potential SIP ALG issues.
Update/Apply ATA settings .

5. This is always proper device reboot order:

A.Turn off modem, router and ATA.

B. Turn on modem. Wait for modem to be fully up and running.

C.Turn on router.
Wait for modem to be fully up and transmitting data before turning on router.

D. Turn on ATA only after the router is fully up and running.

The SIP device (ATA) should be the last device powered on in the device chain.

Rebooting will help to flush any potential DNS cache issue (that's probably not the issue).

6. If a specific number is blocked by the phone system being used (Rogers side of the call), refer to the phone manual to unblock it.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Re: Grandstream HT-701 with Bell, calling HT-701 with Rogers

Postby Bro » 05/07/2023

Liptonbrisk wrote:
Bro wrote:Started today, never happened before. When I call a particular number that I call frequently, I get "The person you are trying to reach is not available,..."

You're reaching FPL's voicemail system. The person that you're calling is also using Freephoneline, correct?

yes
I tried restarting my HT-701... but not the other one yet.

What is the brand and model of
1) the modem and
2) router being used on the other side (Rogers), at the destination you're calling?

Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 1) modem
Any suggestions?

Yes. The person with Rogers should follow these steps, step by step, down the list:

Will try the steps below and get back to you....Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20539. In other words, I don't believe the Bell side of the call is the problem since it can receive calls from (
Freephoneline?
yes) Rogers.

The Rogers end should especially follow steps 1, 2, 3, 12A, 12H, 13, 14, 15, 17, and 18.

I suspect a SIP ALG issue or, less likely, a possible cached DNS issue. Another possibility includes your specific FPL phone number (Bell side) being accidentally blocked on the Rogers side of the call by whatever phone system is being used (some phone handsets do have the option to block specific numbers). If a number is blocked, the incoming call drops to FPL's voicemail system.

If this is an FPL to FPL call, it's a SIP to SIP call, and it's likely treated as a SIP URI call.

3. Get SIP ALG disabled in the router being used on the destination side of the call (Rogers).

Here are examples for disabling SIP ALG in Rogers gateways. This matters if the user is not using a separate router in addition to one supplied by the ISP.

i) Hitron CGN3ACSMR and CODA-4582 series gateway modem/router combo from Rogers (and possibly other ISPs)

Open your web browser, and login at 192.168.0.1. Default username is cusadmin.
Select the “Basic” tab and disable “SIP ALG.” Click the “save changes” button.

ii) HItron CODA--4680 (possibly from Fizz and other ISPs)

Login at192.168.0.1.
Navigate to Basic Settings -->Gateway Function tab
Disable SIP ALG
Save Changes.

iii) Arris XB6 from Rogers

Open your web browser, and login at 10.0.0.1
Uncheck the SIP box.
Click "Apply".

iv) Technicolor XB7 from Rogers

Note that here isn't an option to disable SIP ALG in a (Technicolor CGM4331COM) XB7 (Gen 2) gateway with this Rogers firmware version:
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_21.1_d31 & Prod_21.1
Software Image Name: CGM4331COM_5.2p12s1_PROD_sey

According to a tier 2 rep at Rogers, SIP ALG is enabled by default in XB7 with no way to disable it.
I'm not sure whether that representative is correct (the part about SIP ALG being enabled). However, the response from Rogers seems to coincide with what's happening in Xfinity/Comcast XB7's in the U.S.: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversation ... 66f45f8df1. If you are experiencing issues with a Rogers XB7, try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 along with a high, random local SIP Port (X_UserAgentPort should be a random port number between 30000 and 60000 with Obihai ATAs and Obihai IP Phones, and SIP Port, found by navigating to Voice-->whatever Line you're using for FPL-->SIP settings, should be a random number between 30000 and 60000 when using a Linksys/Cisco ATA).

v) XB8 (Gen 3) has just been released from Rogers

I have no information yet concerning whether SIP ALG can be disabled in the XB8.
A tier 2 rep mentioned that Rogers is moving towards locking out administration setting changes for users, so it's doubtful that SIP ALG can be disabled in the XB8, but we'll have to wait to confirm.
His reasoning is that if you can't disable SIP ALG in XB7, it's unlikely XB8 will offer the capacity to disable SIP ALG either.

If the user is using a separate router, the Rogers gateway should be put in bridge mode, and SIP ALG should be disabled in the user's router.

4. Enter "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" without the quotation marks for Primary SIP server in the ATA's webUI at the destination (Rogers). voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 helps to circumvent potential SIP ALG issues.
Update/Apply ATA settings .

5. This is always proper device reboot order:

A.Turn off modem, router and ATA.

B. Turn on modem. Wait for modem to be fully up and running.

C.Turn on router.
Wait for modem to be fully up and transmitting data before turning on router.

D. Turn on ATA only after the router is fully up and running.

The SIP device (ATA) should be the last device powered on in the device chain.

Rebooting will help to flush any potential DNS cache issue (that's probably not the issue).

6. If a specific number is blocked by the phone system being used (Rogers side of the call), refer to the phone manual to unblock it.
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Re: Granstream HT-710 with Bell, calling HT-710 with Rogers

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/07/2023

Bro wrote:Ignite WiFi Gateway (Gen 1) modem

Okay, by the way, there is no Grandstream HT-710 ATA. There's an HT-701.

a) If a specific number is blocked by the phone system or handset being used (Rogers side of the call), refer to the phone manual to unblock it.

b) Using the Rogers-side FPL account, login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs. Get the call logs for the calls that failed. Is there a "Disconnect Reason" listed? What is it?

c) On the Rogers-side, what is the Primary SIP server being used in the ATA when the problem occurs? Login into the ATA's WebUI. Navigate to FXS Port tab used for FPL. What's listed for Primary SIP server?

If this person isn't using a separate router, then do the following (all on Rogers' side):

1. Arris XB6 from Rogers (that should be Gen1 Ignite gateway)

Open a web browser, and login at 10.0.0.1
Uncheck the SIP box.
Click "Apply".

To understand why SIP ALG often causes horrible problems, please visit
https://www.voip-info.org/routers-sip-alg/ (scroll down to the section on SIP ALG problems).

Also, SIP ALG is potential security risk: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20602.

2. a) Dial ***
b) Then dial 02
c) Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser.
d) Login to the Rogers-side ATA.

Default login password is admin.

3. The latest firmware version is 1.0.10.3. I don't accept responsibility for failed firmware updates.
Firmware download is located here: https://firmware.grandstream.com/Releas ... 0.10.3.zip.

Release notes are here: https://firmware.grandstream.com/Releas ... 0.10.3.pdf.

Ensure the ATA is using the latest firmware version.

4. For HT-701/2, navigate to the FXS Port used for FPL.

a) Enter "voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060" without the quotation marks for Primary SIP Server.

Using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 helps to circumvent SIP ALG in routers. I want to do this even if you disable SIP ALG in the XB6.

b) “NAT-Traversal” should be set to “Keep-Alive”

c) Enable SIP OPTIONS/NOTIFY Keep Alive

Select “Notify”

d) Set SIP OPTIONS/NOTIFY Keep Alive Interval to 20 seconds.

e) i) Set “Use Random SIP Port” to “Yes”.
ii) Set “Random RTP Port” to “Yes”.

Helps with security and also helps to refresh NAT associations when the ATA is rebooted

f) Set “SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses” to “WAN address”

This helps to ensure data is sent back to the public IP address as opposed to
the LAN IP address (192.100.1.x, for example). If Freephoneline were to send data to 192.100.1.x, it would never reach the ATA. It needs to be sent to your WAN or public IP address first before your router can send or route the data to the local IP address of the Grandstream ATA.

5. Update/Apply ATA settings if changes were made. Turn off Rogers gateway and ATA. Turn on Rogers gateway. Wait for it to be fully up and running first (transmitting data with Wi-Fi SSIDs broadcasting). Turn on ATA after everything else is up and running. That's always the proper device boot order. Your ATA should always be booted last in the device chain. 1. Modem (wait) -->2. Router (wait)-->3. ATA

6. Login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/showSipSettings.
SIP Status needs to indicate "Connected", and SIP User Agent should reflect the ATA being used.

7. Login to the ATA's WebUI. Ensure the Rogers-side FPL account is registered with the ATA.

Navigate to Status–>Port Status–>FXS–>Registration (also ensure DND shows “No”) to check registrations status in the ATA.

8. Test incoming calls again from Bell-side FPL number. If the calls works, you can stop here.

a) If the incoming call still doesn't work, log back into the Rogers-side ATA's WebUI.

b) Navigate to FXS Port tab used for Freephoneline

c) Try disabling "Allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only". Change that to "No".

Years ago, with Obihai ATAs, I couldn't get Fongo Mobile to FPL calls to work when "X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly" was enabled and while registered on anything other than voip.freephoneline.ca.

"Allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only" is basically the same setting in Grandstream ATAs. I just want to see whether disabling that setting matters for FPL to FPL calling.

If disabling "Allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only" doesn't help, then re-enable it (set to "Yes") to help prevent SIP Scanners, after testing.

d) Update/Apply ATA settings. Reboot or power cycle (turn off/turn on) ATA.

e) Test with an incoming call again. Again, if disabling "Allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only" doesn't help, then re-enable it (set to "Yes") to help prevent SIP Scanners, after testing.

9. I don't recommend doing this step for very long because the ATA will be unprotected while testing. If the incoming Bell-side FPL call is still not reaching the Rogers-side ATA but is reaching FPL’s voicemail system, attach the ATA directly to the ISP's (gateway or hub in bridge mode) modem via ethernet cable.

Here's how to enable bridge mode: https://www.rogers.com/support/internet ... your-modem. Then you would disconnect everything and attach the ATA directly to the Rogers gateway.
Test briefly for incoming call from Bell-side FPL number. If the incoming call suddenly starts working properly, you've narrowed down the problem to something involving the router portion in the Rogers gateway/XB6. Keep in mind the Grandstream ATA will not be protected by the XB6's firewall while the XB6 is in bridge mode. After testing, revert back; that is, disable bridge mode, and put everything back to the way it was.

10. If the incoming call still failed while the XB6 was in bridge mode, try making a call using Fongo Mobile to the Rogers-side FPL number. Try while connected to cellular data (cellular data charges may apply) and then again while Fongo Mobile is [this step is Bell-side] connected to your Bell-side Wi-Fi network. If the problem only occurs while connected to Bell Wi-Fi, then the problem is somewhere on the Bell-side LAN, and we can try changing some settings in your ATA as well, in that case, but it doesn't make a lot of sense that you would have to. Hopefully, you won't need to bother with this step. Fongo Mobile is free to use, but you have to provide the cellular data for the smartphone. https://www.fongo.com/services/fongo-mobile/. Basically, I want to know if you can reproduce this issue when calling from Fongo Mobile when it's connected to Bell-side Wi-Fi.
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Bro » 05/07/2023

The phone now works. I didn't try any of the above steps yet . It must have been a server congestion issue with voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060. I did try to disable SIP ALG in the Rogers Gateway but couldn't find "options" under Advanced. Under "System Hardware" it says "Model:CGM4140COM"
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Was Rogers-side ATA using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 previously? Please answer this question. It's important for me. Thanks
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Bro » 05/07/2023

yes ... actually, I will double check this evening and get back to you
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Bro wrote:yes ... actually, I will double check this evening and get back to you

So, did you switch to voip2.freephoneline.ca for Primary SIP Server just now and, suddenly, the Freephoneline to Freephoneline call worked?

For the failed calls, can you please do me a favour, and login, using the Rogers-side FPL account, at https://www.freephoneline.ca/doGetCallLogs. Get the call logs for the calls that failed. Is there a "Disconnect Reason" listed? What is it?

Does the disconnect reason show "Temporary Failure"?
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Bro » 05/07/2023

No, I didn't do anything since I'm not at the location where the Rogers one is....I will be there this evening.

In the call log, the disconnect reasons are all "Normal call clearing" ...there were no failed calls , only calls directly to voicemail on the Rogers side.
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Bro wrote:No, I didn't do anything since I'm not at the location where the Rogers one is....I will be there this evening.

In the call log, the disconnect reasons are all "Normal call clearing"

Thank you

In that case, I don't know what the cause was, unless perhaps, PortaOne, FPL's switch vendor, was doing work on something yesterday.

FPL to FPL calls were (and still are) working for me.

I would still be interested in knowing what server is being used on Rogers side.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Bro » 05/07/2023

The primary SIP may actually be voip2.freephoneline.ca on the Rogers side, I will get back to you tonight or tomorrow. ...
The Bell side server was voip2.freephoneline.ca and I just changed it to voip2.freephoneline.ca:6060 ...no issues.

I just upgraded the firmware on the Bell side and everything still works...will upgrade also on the Rogers side this evening.
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Bro wrote:The Bell side server was voip2.freephoneline.ca and I just changed it to voip2.freephoneline.ca:6060 ...no issues.

voip2.freephoneline.ca uses UDP port 5060 and not UDP port 6060.

Only voip4.freephoneline.ca can use 6060.

That is, use voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 and not voip2.freephoneline.ca:6060.

voi2.freephoneline.ca is really voip2.freephoneline.ca:5060, but you don't need to enter 5060. UDP port 5060 is the default and understood.

I just upgraded the firmware on the Bell side and everything still works...will upgrade also on the Rogers side this evening.

Okay, that's good. Thank you for updating.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Bro » 05/07/2023

Liptonbrisk wrote:
Bro wrote:The Bell side server was voip2.freephoneline.ca and I just changed it to voip2.freephoneline.ca:6060 ...no issues.

voip2.freephoneline.ca uses UDP 5060. It can't use UDP port 6060.

Only voip4.freephoneline.ca can use 6060.

Okay, that's good. Thank you for updating.

Just changed the Bell side Primary SIP back to voip2.freephoneline.ca... Thanks for that.
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Thanks for updating.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Bro wrote:. Under "System Hardware" it says "Model:CGM4140COM"

Okay, that's not Arris XB6.

It's Technicolor CGM4140COM (XB6). I don't know if there's an option to disable SIP ALG available in it (I'm guessing it doesn't; the Technicolor XB7 doesn't have that option).

I didn't realize there were two XB6 gateway models.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Postby Bro » 05/08/2023

Liptonbrisk wrote:Was Rogers-side ATA using voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 previously? Please answer this question. It's important for me. Thanks

Yes ... I checked last night.
The firmware is now updated on the Rogers side as well ... all is good...thanks again.
Bro
Just Passing Thru

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/08/2023

Thank you for letting me know.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support