[Resolved] OBihai OBi200 & Voicemail Indicator

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo

[Resolved] OBihai OBi200 & Voicemail Indicator

Postby GenChick » 05/19/2023

Hello,
On my OBihai OBi200 these settings for Voicemail are enabled:
MWIEnable - V
X_VMWIEnable - V
MessageWaiting - V
When I have a missed call and message left, I would hear stutter tones, but no flashing lights indicating latter. I assume that the flashing light would be one of the LED's on ATA, am I correct? I tried both enabling and disabling "MessageWaiting", but nothing has changed. No lights are flashing indicating a message left. Any idea what can be wrong here?

My Modem/Router: Actiontec GT724WGR
GenChick
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: OBihai OBi200
Firmware Version: 3.2.2 b8680EX
ISP Name: Distributel DSL
Computer OS: Windows 10
Router: Actiontec GT724WGR

Re: OBihai OBi200 & Voicemail Indicator

Postby Liptonbrisk » 05/19/2023

GenChick wrote:Hello,
On my OBihai OBi200 these settings for Voicemail are enabled:
MWIEnable - V
X_VMWIEnable - V

That's what the user should enable, manually.

MessageWaiting - V

That's enabled (checked) by the service provider (FPL) when a voicemail message arrives. It takes up to 10 minutes for MessageWaiting to become checked when a voicemail message arrives and up to 10 minutes to become unchecked after deleting all voicemail messages.

I assume that the flashing light would be one of the LED's on ATA, am I correct?

No. The flashing light (visual message waiting indicator) is a feature of the phone handset, if it's supported and enabled in the phone. Refer to your phone manual. The ATA does not blink for voicemail when X_VMWIEnable is enabled (edit: enabling X_VMWIEnable allows a phone handset LED to blink when a voicemail message is waiting).
Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Obihai 202/2182, Groundwire
Firmware Version: various
ISP Name: FTTH
Computer OS: Windows 64 bit
Router: Asuswrt-Merlin & others

Thank you for your reply. I was not sure about the light function on OBi200. On my previous ATA, Grandstream HT701, the light was blinking when message was left, so I assumed it was the case with OBi200.
GenChick
Just Passing Thru

Please do not send me emails; I do not work for nor represent Freephoneline or Fongo. Post questions on the forums so that others may learn from responses or assist you. Thank you. If you have an issue with your account or have a billing issue, submit a ticket here: https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Visit http://status.fongo.com/ to check FPL/Fongo service status. Freephoneline setup guides can be found at viewforum.php?f=15.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

The LED pattern on page 12 says:
New voicemail available (MWI)
------------------------------------------
Programmable using the phone
port’s MWILedTimer parameter
Available on Obi2 Series and
Obi3 Series Only

So, the LED should blink when a new message is left...
GenChick
Just Passing Thru

OK, reading further down:

Message Waiting Indication – Visual and Tone Based
Message Waiting Indication allows you to be notified when there is a new voice message for you. The OBi supports both
Visual and Tone based Message Waiting Indication. With Tone-based Message Waiting Indication, you will know there is a
message for you when you hear a “stutter” dial tone right when you first pick up the phone to make a call. Typically, this
stutter tone will be removed once you listen to your message(s). Visual-based Message Waiting Indication will turn on a
light or screen icon on your phone (or phone base station) when there is a message waiting for you. Typically, this light or
icon will go dark when you have listened to your new message(s).

I guess I am out of luck on this one.
GenChick
Just Passing Thru

GenChick wrote:The LED pattern on page 12 says:
New voicemail available (MWI)
------------------------------------------
Programmable using the phone
port’s MWILedTimer parameter
Available on Obi2 Series and
Obi3 Series Only

So, the LED should blink when a new message is left...

At defaults, no, the ATA's phone icon LED doesn't blink when a voicemail message is left because the default for MWILedTimer is 0. 0 means disabled.

However, you can change that under Physical Interfaces-->PHONE Port-->Timers-->MWILedTimer (to 2 seconds, for example).
Then the phone LED icon on the ATA will blink when a voicemail message is left.

Having X_VMWIEnable checked will allow a phone handset's LED to flash (if the handset supports visual message waiting indicator) when a voicemail message is left, regardless of whether the MWILedTimer value in your ATA is set to 0 (disabled).
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

GenChick wrote:
I guess I am out of luck on this one.

I wasn't aware you wanted your ATA to flash when a message is left.

Yes, you can do that. Refer to my post above this one.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

@Liptonbrisk Thank you for directing me to the right settings. My phone doesn't have flashing message indicator, but flashing LED on ATA is always catching my eye.
GenChick
Just Passing Thru

MWIEnable - This affects message waiting indicators for everything.
If MWIEnable is not enabled, there can be no stutter tone, there can be no visual message waiting indicator on the phone, and the ATA phone LED icon can not blink. MWIEnable being enabled is a requirement for everything related to voicemail message waiting indicators.

If X_VMWIEnable is disabled the visual message waiting indicator on the phone handset can not blink. That setting only affects whether an LED can blink on a phone handset when a vociemail message is waiting.

If MWILedTimer is 0 (disabled), the ATA's phone icon LED can not blink if a voicemail message is waiting. That setting only affects whether the ATA can blink.

MWIEnable -- needs to be on (requirement for everything)

X_VMWIEnable -- only affects phone LED

MWILedTimer -- only affects ATA LED

MessageWaiting -- is checked or unchecked automatically by data sent by FPL's server to your ATA (after 10 minutes of a voicemail being left or after 10 minutes of all voicemails being deleted)
If MessageWaiting is checked, a voicemail is supposed to be waiting. If it's not checked, a voicemail is not supposed to be waiting. If MessageWaiting is unchecked, nothing blinks or stutters, which typically indicates no voicemail is waiting.
Liptonbrisk
Technical Support

Return to Community Support