Outbound Caller ID

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Xirus
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: RasPbx on Beaglebone Black
Firmware Version: Ubuntu 13.04
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Win 7
Router: dd-wrt on on Dlink

Outbound Caller ID

Post by Xirus »

I am a freephoneline.ca customer.
I use 3cx phone system PBX but I have also tested this issue with 3cx soft phone with the same results.
The issue is that whatever I set my outbound caller ID - the receiver of my call sees "Free Phone Line" and my number as my caller ID.
I need to get rid of that "Free Phone Line" and have my name or initials instead.

thanks
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Re: Outbound Caller ID

Post by TheHardy »

Xirus wrote:I am a freephoneline.ca customer.
I use 3cx phone system PBX but I have also tested this issue with 3cx soft phone with the same results.
The issue is that whatever I set my outbound caller ID - the receiver of my call sees "Free Phone Line" and my number as my caller ID.
I need to get rid of that "Free Phone Line" and have my name or initials instead.

thanks
Interesting ... I have never checked my outgoing CID to see how it shows up, this is interesting to hear. Anyone else know how theirs shows up, NAME wise? I know the number gets passed correctly, but this is the first I am hearing of how the name gets passed ... NOW you have me thinking a bit .. ;-)

And what names do show up for the different BRANDS? Might be interesting to get an official Fongo response on this one!
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

In my case the FPL number is passed. Not exactly what I need as the FPL number is in Toronto so some folks will not even answer the phone as they assume that it is a junk call. I still think that in the cases where FPL provides a number that is not a local number the user should be able to provide their "real" local number. I currently use a provider for outgoing calls that does give my correct local phone number so this solves the problem.
TheHardy
***Übergod***
SIP Device Name: FPL PC softphone (buggy)
Firmware Version: 3.0.3.0
ISP Name: Telus Optik
Computer OS: Win7
Router: Actiontec V1000H
Smartphone Model: none

Post by TheHardy »

dibsmft, I can see your point, but I think as Fongo reps have clearly stated, they will not allow "spoofing" (for whatever reasons, as legitimate as they may be, in your case) on calls originated on their network for the reason of preventing or at least cutting down on abuse. And as a "free" provider, I cannot blame them, and I think that they are taking entirely the correct approach on this.

That said, as a PAID and REGISTERED service add-on (and of course subject to verification by whatever means deemed necessary), I fully agree that presenting an alternate ("spoofed") outgoing caller ID should be considered as a viable OPTION -- but again, with the caveat, to prevent abuse, that it is tightly controlled and monitored.

Orange boxing the calls or otherwise, or setting up whatever software you are using for legitimate reasons is entirely up to you! :-)
Hardy - Surrey, BC ~~ increasingly disgruntled FPL user ... comon, fix your stuff!
driver/webmaster - INCARTA Professional Delivery & Moving -- http://www.incarta.ca 604-594-7126
koreyb
Quiet One

Post by koreyb »

I would rather they just show the number with no name if that's how it shows..
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

I agree. I guess FPL giving the Toronto (FPL) number when I make a call and my real local incoming number is different is actually sort of spoofing!