Rogers Upstream Problem

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
PainCourt
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys WRT54GS2 (DD-WRT)

Rogers Upstream Problem

Post by PainCourt »

Was able to visit a friend this weekend in London and help him set up a Freephoneline account. He is with Rogers Home Phone and Internet. When we hooked him up with the same setup as I have (DDWRT Router ... QOS is set properly, HT286 ATA), he continues to have issue with the other end hearing him properly (cut out like crazy). We even tried plugging the ATA right into the modem, same problem. His internet speeds are roughly 28 mbps download and 0.5 mbps upload. We even switched out the modem and the problem is still there.

Does anyone know if Rogers, block VoIP lines. His Rogers home phone, which is also a VoIP line is working great (this is connected on its own coax cable). What can he do? What should he ask Rogers to do when he calls ... if any.

I'm on DSL with a download of about 5 mbps and upload of about 0.4 mbps and my phone works great.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Re: Rogers Upstream Problem

Post by cu2o2o2 »

PainCourt wrote: ... We even tried plugging the ATA right into the modem, same problem. His internet speeds are roughly 28 mbps download and 0.5 mbps upload. We even switched out the modem and the problem is still there.
If there was nothing else using internet bandwidth at the time of your tests, then either your modem or ATA is incorrectly configured/defective.

You did not mention what his router is. If it is modem-router-in-one, then he needs to set the modem in bridge mode and buy/use a VOIP-friendly router that you can access/configure.

PainCourt wrote: ...
Does anyone know if Rogers, block VoIP lines. ...
I can tell you that Rogers does not block VOIP lines here in Brampton because my VOIP phones are working with default VOIP ports of the PAP2T.

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
mcclaud
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: ht 701
Firmware Version: 1.0.1.6
ISP Name: bell dsl
Computer OS: win7
Router: rt-n16 rnning tomatoe

Post by mcclaud »

0.5 M/s isnt exactly the fastest connection and as thats the upload it would be responsible for what they hear on the other end. I would make sure the codec is g.729 for possible choices of codec than test again (modem only ie. no ddwrt router and no qos) ,than repeat test using g.711 codec . Did you make sure that the upload speeds are consistently 500kbs, did you test the ata on a different internet connection? Cutting out and comming back suggest the ports are not being blocked but that there is dropped packets from a major delay or bottleneck.
PainCourt
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286
ISP Name: Teksavvy
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Linksys WRT54GS2 (DD-WRT)

Post by PainCourt »

1. Router is a Cisco that has been updated with DD-WRT.
2. Modem has been set in bridge mode.
3. Did a double check of the setting of the ATA.

This is the 3rd modem that has been switched out with Rogers. He is going in for a 4th trade in for a different modem. This time Rogers recommend a Cisco modem. We are sure that it is not the ATA, as we tried mine over there and it has the same problem. Codec all checked and is exactly what is on the this forum.

Regarding the upload speed, I have about 450 kbps. I am able to maintain 2 VoIP lines with no problem. I am on DSL.

Been reading, about cable modem and if the Upstream Data Rate is not up near 50 dbmv, then the quality of the upload will suffer. Anyone has experience with this? The modem my buddy has is at 34 dbmv?
tbrummell
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: PIAF/Mitel/PolyCom/Cisco
Firmware Version: Asterisk 1.8
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: CentOS/Windows2008/Win7/Android
Router: pfSense/Neoware thin client

Post by tbrummell »

/TLDR

Have you done the VoIP quality test located here:?

http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php