Phone connected to SPA3102 dead

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
af0002
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows XP and 7
Router: Asus RT-N16

Phone connected to SPA3102 dead

Post by af0002 »

I just purchased the config file to setup Freephoneline on my new Linksys SPA3102.

I have device connected just after my cable modem and before my Router.

When I first connected it, I never even tried the phone connected to it, because I assumed it would not work as the device was not configured.

I connected to the device at the default IP of 192.168.1.1

I beleive I managed to configure the the device with all proper settings and my own account info.

The device appears to be connected, however, from the connected phone, I get no dialtone and no tones when I press numbers on the keypad.

I tried two other phones, same issue.

I updated the firwware on the device to the latest version, same issue.

Here is the info from the Voice > Info page

Line 1 Status
Hook State: On Registration State: Registered
Last Registration At: 11/17/2012 17:20:10 Next Registration In: 159 s
Message Waiting: No Call Back Active: No
Last Called Number: Last Caller Number:
Mapped SIP Port:
Call 1 State: Idle Call 2 State: Idle
Call 1 Tone: None Call 2 Tone: None

The Power and Phone indicator lights on the device are solid and the Internet indicator is flashing.

I tried plugging my existing phone line in to the LINE connection, then I powered off the device. I do then get a dial tone (that's through my existing phoneline). But the as soon as I plug the SPA3102 back in to the power, the dial tone cuts off. So to me this indicates there are no issues with the connection pins for the phone.

I would like to reset the device, but cannot see how to do that as it seems that the IVR interface on the ATA is not working.

This is the first time I have setup one of these devices, and am not sure if I have configured something wrong or if the device is broken.

Aaron
af0002
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Linksys SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13
ISP Name: Rogers
Computer OS: Windows XP and 7
Router: Asus RT-N16

Re: Phone connected to SPA3102 dead

Post by af0002 »

I returned the Linksys SPA3102 to the store I purchased it from.

I purchased a Linksys SPA122, which has a reset button on the device.

I took the Linksys SPA122 home and connected it in the same location (after modem and before router).

After the device was plugged in for a minute or so, I could hear faint static on the line and the tones were generated when the keys on the phone were pressed.

I reset the device from the phone with:

I then went to the went to the default web page of this device and logged on and set only the following values:

SIP Username: <my phone number, no spaces with 1>
SIP Password: <my SIP Password>
Inbound/Outbound Proxy: voip.freephoneline.ca
Registration Expires: 180
Use Preferred Codec: G729a
Use Preferred Codec Only: No
RTP Packet Size: 0.020
Ring Tone Frequency: 52
Ring Tone Voltage: 90
Dial String: (911|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxxxxxxxx.|98*|[6-7]x*xxxxxxxxxxx.)

time server: time4.nrc.ca

admin user password: <something new>
cisco user password: <something new>

I then tested dialing and receiving calls....it works no problems.

Once I am happy that it works, I will try to install it behind my router.

So, either the hardware or software on the SPA3102 was faulty in some way, that I could not fix. I should have known something was wrong with the SPA3102, because the linksys logo on the web interface for the device was suffering from compression artifacts.
OverDrive
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Start Communications (off Cogeco)
Computer OS: 8
Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT)

Post by OverDrive »

Alternatively, if the SPA3102 you originally bought did NOT have an up-to-date firmware, that could have been your issue.

Always, always check for firmware updates WHEN YOU BUY the device, before you set it up for the first time.

My SPA3102 always has those compression artifacts in the logo.... and if you reload the page quick enough after a submit, it makes the entire screen have an expanded logo... just the nuances of the device i guess.

Mine works flawlessly.
Adam Marshall
AJ Tek
seagame2001
Tried and True
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: Groundwire
ISP Name: 3web
Computer OS: Windows 7
Router: Dlink-DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: iPhone 4
iOS Version: 5.1.1

Post by seagame2001 »

so welcome to the party of FPL
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

The SPA3102 can be difficult to get working with some providers and I get the impression that FPL is one of the. I have an SPA3102 with fairly old firmware and it works very reliably one configured correctly. With no power the phone output defaults to your PSTN line but when power is applied the voip line should be active. The SPA3102 probably has many more features that most people need.