my ATA keeps failing to register from December 2012

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
mgadei
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: sip 2102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13
ISP Name: freephoneline
Computer OS: windows 7
Router: assus ac rt66 u

my ATA keeps failing to register from December 2012

Post by mgadei »

Hi,
I don't know what updates you did , dear support but this service with freephoneline started to be one of the most unreliable from the mid December 2012. My device keeps failing to register. I kept the same settings of my ATA, I changed my ATA, I changed my router for a popular Linksys, I gaved a static IP, as always to my ATA and forwarded the ports 5060-5066, 6060-6066, 10000-13001, to my ATA ip, to put it on DMZ, I turned the firewall too. I tried to place it before the router thinking that maybe is a NAT problem. NO result. It keeps disconnecting randomly , sometimes it will re-register but sometimes not.
This is what I call an unreliable service. What did you changed ?
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Re: my ATA keeps failing to register from December 2012

Post by dibsmft »

It seems to true that FPL and been doing updates on the running servers but it should not be giving you so many problems. Your router is one that I have never configured. I don't normally forward port 5060 UDP (the ATA will use 5060 external by default) and do not use DMZ but that should not be your problem. Since you have not posted how the router and ATA is actually configured, I suggest that, for now you try running STUN with a suitable server as well as NAT keep alive and NAT mapping enable. Remember to reboot your router and ATA after the changes.
mgadei
Just Passing Thru

Post by mgadei »

Thank you for your answer, Nat and nat keep alive they are already activated.
Stun server also, do you have any sugestion for a reliable stun server?
I will post this evening some screenshots of my settings, maybe you could see something that I"m missing.
As I told you, with another router (Linksys wrt300n) I encountered the same problems. The internet connection is cable 10mb, very stable.
QOS gives also maximum priority to my ATA. There is no SIP helper option activated in my router.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

Post by dibsmft »

The STUN server that I use is provided by the provider (Spokn) and I only need it on my Grandstream 286 and Linksys 3102 but not my Yealink. A popular STUN server here seems to be stun.callwithus.com. While almost any will do they are not all the same. Perhaps it is time for FPL to run its own STUN(or similar) server. You internet is fast enough in download but how is it in upload? The 2102 is sometime fussy to configure.
Bing Kol
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: CarryTel 25/10 DSL
Router: pfSense i5-3470

Post by Bing Kol »

:roll:
This STUN server thing is starting to become irritating!

People, get this...You DO NOT NEED STUN if your router and ATA are properly configured!
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*

Post by dibsmft »

Not really completely true but in many cases it is probably true, However, running STUN may get things going until the proper configuration is determined. There are situations where there is almost no configuration that will work and Linksys can be very difficult to configure with some providers. Please don't shout! If your PAP2T is working, being Linksys (formerly Sipura) then try to give mgadei some help. Although I have configured PAP2s remotely I do not own one.
nanyte
Quiet One

Post by nanyte »

Mine actually failed to register twice in the past 2 days. Once it went through the normal re-registration(have it set for 900 ms), then it registered. These were the first times I have seen this happen when the service was still up.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

nanyte wrote:(have it set for 900 ms)
You have it set to re-register every 900 milliseconds? that is 0.9 of a second :shock:
nanyte
Quiet One

Post by nanyte »

Jake wrote:
You have it set to re-register every 900 milliseconds? that is 0.9 of a second :shock:

oops...900 seconds...not sure why i wrote ms.
Jake
Technical Support

Post by Jake »

nanyte wrote:
Jake wrote:

oops...900 seconds...not sure why i wrote ms.
:D well that makes a lot more sense. I assumed it was a typo, but I thought I would bring it up in case you actually did have it set that low.
iDrone
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT286 Rev4.1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0.42
ISP Name: Teksavvy DSL
Router: Tomato on Linksys WRT54GL

Post by iDrone »

Please check the mode of your modem (Routed vs Bridged), because when in Routed mode, it will act as a router and conflicts the settings (like port forwarding) you do in your actual router. I had many problems with my phone as well after December 19 (before that, it had been working fine). So, I changed my router to Bridged Mode (as it was indeed in Routed Mode), and changed my Router to handle the PPPoE connection. After I had saved these settings, all went well right away. Good Luck!
mgadei
Just Passing Thru

Post by mgadei »

line1-2.pdf
sip 2102 line1 settings 2
(186.74 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
line1-1.pdf
sip 2102 line1 settings 1
(94.09 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
sip.pdf
sip 2102 sip settings
(145.34 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
As I promissed I will post the settings of my ATA , sip 2102. I's on static IP, all needed ports forwarded, in bridged mode (so the router part it's deactivated).
I will try with a 900 register time to see if its more stable. Also I will triy with another STUN server stun.spokn.com.
Hope to be as stable as before...december.
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.
Somebody asked about the upload speed. It`s stable 1,5Mb. It should be more than enough for a dozen of voip adapters. Isn`t it ? ;)
Bing Kol
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
ISP Name: CarryTel 25/10 DSL
Router: pfSense i5-3470

Post by Bing Kol »

dibsmft wrote:Not really completely true but in many cases it is probably true, However, running STUN may get things going until the proper configuration is determined. There are situations where there is almost no configuration that will work and Linksys can be very difficult to configure with some providers. Please don't shout! If your PAP2T is working, being Linksys (formerly Sipura) then try to give mgadei some help. Although I have configured PAP2s remotely I do not own one.
Not to start a flaming war here, but I would like to bring something to your attention. Only a whole sentence of uppercase letters is considered SHOUTING. Selectively capitalized words as well as underlining are used for EMPHASIS.

It had been like this since the BBS days and is still true to this day.

***Note that you have uppercase characters in your post...so you must be shouting too! :roll:
mgadei
Just Passing Thru

Post by mgadei »

sorry It's not my intention to shout. I was just trying to find answers for that problem...
ssst :)
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Post by cu2o2o2 »

@mgadei
I believe it is Bing Kol who is accused of shouting. And he is explaining that he was not shouting.

Anyway, your posts are a bit confusing because you mentioned about cable internet, a download speed of 10 mbps and upload of 1.5 mbps, and your profile indicates freephoneline as your ISP.

Let's clear up some items:
Who is your Internet Service Provider (ISP)?
What brand and model is your modem?
Which router are you trying to provision - is it the Linksys or the Asus?

IIRC when I first read your post you had a PAP2T, but now you have SPA2102 that is set in bridged mode, is that right?

If you can confirm the above, we can have a starting point.

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.