Why does my Linksys E4200v2 router not detect my ATA?

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
Scoponox
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: Linksys PAP2T
Firmware Version: 5.1.6(LS)
ISP Name: Acanac DSL
Computer OS: Win XP

Re: Why does my Linksys E4200v2 router not detect my ATA?

Post by Scoponox »

Sorry I can't see how. Could you explain please? It should by getting it from the router because I don't have my ISP user name or password enter into the modem.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Post by cu2o2o2 »

Scoponox wrote:Sorry I can't see how. Could you explain please? It should by getting it from the router because I don't have my ISP user name or password enter into the modem.
Really? And yet your modem gives you 192.168.0.1? Hmm! As you can see I do not have DSL nor the modem and router that you have, however, I believe that your 2wire is not properly bridged.

These 2 are a must:
-DISABLE DHCP on the 2 wire (I hope this is where the problem is).
-Put a wrong username/password (blank is fine).

You could also set it respond to WAN pings and you might want to disable wireless radio.

Save your changes.

Now set up your E4200 to do PPPoE registration.

I hope you can take it from here, if not, keep posting and somebody might be able to help you as I will be away for the rest of the weekend.

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
Scoponox
Active Poster

Post by Scoponox »

Yes dhcp and wireless are disabled on the modem. The pppoe are blank on the modem also so it has to be registering via the router.

I still don't fully understand what the issue is if the modem has an IP ... How else would I be able to access the modems GUI? I can't access the modem via the router...only directly connected.

This is the screen with the hard input for the modem IP address:
Capture8.JPG
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Post by cu2o2o2 »

Your 2wire is a modem plus router. If you connect your E4200 router to your 2wire, then you will have double NAT, the first from 2wire and the second from the E4200.

Your options are:
1-use the inferior routing and wireless features of 2wire, and no other device with routing function is to be added.

2-use the inferior routing and wireless features of 2wire, then add a separate router E4200. You must then configure the 2wire and the E4200 so that packets from and to the E4200 can be passed to it by the 2wire to and from the internet. (And judging from your posts, you are not ready to implement this, no offence intended).

3-set your 2wire to bridge mode (meaning, force the 2wire to pass to its lan ports, the public ip address that it receives from the wan side, and I repeat, effectively disabling the router function of the 2wire).

In this thread, we are trying to help you accomplish the third.

The idea is to make the 2wire's router into a bridge (remember that it is a modem + router unit) so that it will pass the same public ip address from the modem portion to the lan ports.

You probably need a lot of reading, good thing there is google. Or you can ask for help from forum members here that are close to you to set up your VOIP, and I am sure it will cost you at least a cup of coffee plus mileage allowance not to mention goodwill. Or, if you can post screenshots of the other sections of your 2wire Advanced Setup/IP Addressing, we can try to figure out what is wrong. You will be helping us learn too.
Scoponox wrote:...

I still don't fully understand what the issue is if the modem has an IP ... How else would I be able to access the modems GUI? I can't access the modem via the router...only directly connected.

If you can access your 2wire from its private IP address, then it is not properly configured in bridge mode, period.

You only need to access the 2wire's GUI to set the router portion into bridge mode, and yes, only when connected directly. After it is correctly set in bridge mode, you should not be able to access it as it has no more private ip address (whenever you want to access it again, you have to reset the 2wire to factory default thereby reactivating the router function).

Remember, you SHOULD NOT be able to access the router part of your 2wire when it is properly configured in bridge mode..

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
Scoponox
Active Poster

Post by Scoponox »

OK, thank you very much for your help so far...now I understand what is wrong; that I shouldn't be able to access the 2wire via the IP address anymore. The search continues....I guess I got more reading to do as to why this didn't bridge properly.

EDIT: Maybe its a 2wire modem thing...as noted in this website (http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15835), the user interface can still be accessed...as I mentioned before I had to change the IP adress of my laptop to be in the same subnet and then hardwire to ethernet port to access.

Another example:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark, ... idge+qwest

One more question....should my modem be on the same subnet as the router? ...or vice-versa?
Scoponox
Active Poster

Post by Scoponox »

Problem solved! I bought a Asus RT-N66U....it setup easily, found the ATA no probkem and even created a direct link to the ATA's GUI through the modems setup page. Lots of other stuff that works properly...unlike the E4200. Finally a router that works as intended.
Bing Kol
Active Poster
SIP Device Name: PAP2T
ISP Name: CarryTel 25/10 DSL
Router: pfSense i5-3470

Post by Bing Kol »

It's good to hear that the Asus RT-N66U router solved your problem.