SPA 112 ATA slow to register

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
gab
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA112
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 (004) Jul 27 2
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
Router: Belkin

SPA 112 ATA slow to register

Post by gab »

I have a SPA112 and recently noticed that my APA is slow to register in 2 ways:

1. If I reboot my SPA112, it will take a while (can take around 15 mins) to register, i.e. to have the Phone 1 light from Off to steady green on the ATA.

2. I noticed that my APA was not registered at times. I did some investigation by going to the Web Based Configuration Utility, Voice and Line 1 Status.
I started to monitor the 'Last Registration At' and 'Next Registration In'. When 'Next Registration In' decreases to 0 seconds, the Phone 1 light on my ATA will turn Off. It will then take again a while (can take around 15 mins) to register.

Is there something wrong with my ATA setup ?

I am planning to port my home phone line from Bell to FPL. Until this is resolved, I can't proceed with that as it is unacceptable not to have a working phone for a while.
cu2o2o2
Lightly Seasoned
SIP Device Name: Double-NAT PAP2T-NA
Firmware Version: 5.1.6 (LS)
ISP Name: Rogers Express with SB5101
Computer OS: Win7 32-bit for DV softphone
Router: WNR3500L behind DIR-615C1

Re: SPA 112 ATA slow to register

Post by cu2o2o2 »

gab wrote:I have a SPA112 and ...

Not necessarily however <cough>Belkin :( <cough>.

You agree to read my posts at your own risk.
radio
Quiet One
SIP Device Name: SPA112 - PAP2T
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 - 5.1.6
ISP Name: RGRS
Computer OS: 7/64
Router: Tomato - DDWRT

Post by radio »

gab wrote:I have a SPA112 and recently noticed that my APA is slow to register in 2 ways:

1. If I reboot my SPA112, it will take a while (can take around 15 mins) to register, i.e. to have the Phone 1 light from Off to steady green on the ATA.

2. I noticed that my APA was not registered at times. I did some investigation by going to the Web Based Configuration Utility, Voice and Line 1 Status.
I started to monitor the 'Last Registration At' and 'Next Registration In'. When 'Next Registration In' decreases to 0 seconds, the Phone 1 light on my ATA will turn Off. It will then take again a while (can take around 15 mins) to register.

I am planning to port my home phone line from Bell to FPL. Until this is resolved, I can't proceed with that as it is unacceptable not to have a working phone for a while.
i have the same ATA and i just tested it... takes less than 5sec to connect. You probably have a configuration issue, maybe do a full reset and start from scratch.
gab
Just Passing Thru

Post by gab »

Hi Radio,

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I might have overstated about that 15 mins delay. This time, I carefully observed when
the 'Next Registration In' decreased to 0 seconds. The Phone 1 light on my ATA didn't turn Off.
At that very moment, I actually was connected to a phone number and the communication wasn't disconnected !!
My registration is set to expire after 3600 seconds or after 1 hour.

I will continue to monitor the ATA for any disconnection. If it happens again, I will then reset the ATA as you have suggested.

I will appreciate your responses to some more questions as I am fairly new to VOIP:

1. Why does the ATA always need to re-register after a pre-set time ? Is there no way to have it registered permanently ?
2. If I happen to be on a phone call and the 'Next Registration In' is about to reach 0,
Can I be disconnected when the ATA will need to re-register ?
rooster
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: Windows 7

Post by rooster »

1. re-register is necessary due to your IP address is not static. Yor ISP might change your IP address and your ATA will not know. By re-registering in a pre-defined time, the most connection that you will not be able to receive/make call is only by your pre-defined time.

2. nothing will happen. since the ATA is "calling home" to make sure that it is still connected.
gab
Just Passing Thru

Post by gab »

Thanks for the feedback.

Now the question I wanted to ask as I am still planning to port my home phone from Bell to FPL.

How reliable is FLP as I can see in the Forum that other people are having issues connecting their ATAs to FPL ? I guess you get what you pay for ?