No audio out

Have a question or problem with your Fongo application? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Fongo recommends Fongo Home Phone for a fully supported Home Phone system for only $4.95/mo
lemac
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: Mac OS 10.8
Router: Intellinet 300N

No audio out

Post by lemac »

Hi, I am new to freephoneonline. I got my number, installed the Mac app and adjusted settings. Everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. I don't have audio out. People hear me but I don't hear them. I tested the connection and got:

Result: Call service is OK
Data Transfer: Unable to send/receive sound data! Port 1300 should be available
Possible reason: None

Any idea on what is going wrong?
Thanks

Mac OS 10.8.2
krazyken
Just Passing Thru
ISP Name: Rogers Cable Internet
Router: CGN2 Rev. 1A

Re: No audio out

Post by krazyken »

Test connection 17/03/2013

Results: Server temporary unavailable.

Data Transfer: Unable to send/receive sound data! Port 13000 should be available.

Possible reasons:
1. Call service temporary unavailable.
Please excuse us for your inconvieience. The service will be available soon.
Possible upgrade to the VOIP server is being applied at this moment.
lemac
Just Passing Thru

Post by lemac »

Hi krazyken, Thanks for your reply. I got the phone number and installed the app yesterday afternoon. Audio out never worked. Is the update installed because of a problem or just to upgrade the system?
muthukrishy
One Hit Wonder
Computer OS: Windows xp

Post by muthukrishy »

Hi there,

Facing the same issue, Using this desktop app I am able to hear them but the opponent couldn't hear me. When tested the connection I get the same result as above. Please help.
dibsmft
*Go-To Guy*
SIP Device Name: Yealink T22 (SPA3102 GS286)
Firmware Version: 7.60.0.110
ISP Name: Bell-Aliant DSL
Computer OS: Linux Mint
Router: Speedstream 6520
Smartphone Model: Google Nexus 5
Android Version: 3.2.1

Post by dibsmft »

You need to make sure that you have configured your computer to allow port 13000 to be used. That would be in whatever fire wall configuration that the computer has.
leman
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: microSIP
ISP Name: rogers
Computer OS: windows xp sp3

Post by leman »

I have the same problem.
Same computer, previously it was working fine. Until the application needs to be updated to 3.2.6 (as the previous version cannot login anymore), it starts in the end of Feb/beginning of March 2013.

If the other side is using Freephoneline, both hear nothing.
If you tried to call someone with a Fongo app (in android), both might hear each other.
I doubt this is about the firewall setting in the PC, as previously it was working fine, and this fails even if i disable windows firewall (or open those ports).
BTW, I am in the greater toronto area.

-sl
lemac
Just Passing Thru

Post by lemac »

The freephoneline app is simply not working, at least on my Mac. I don't know of any way to assign port numbers on Mac OS X. You can allow incoming connections to specific applications in the firewall settings. I did it with the freephoneline app. It is not working. I turned the computer firewall off and it is still not working. The whole app is acting is weird. Sometimes I receive a call, answer and don't hear anything while the caller phone keeps ringing. A friend who just go a freephoneline number has the same problems. Is there anybody out there who can use Freephoneline version: 3.2.6.0 on the Mac?
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

lemac wrote:The freephoneline app is simply not working, at least on my Mac. I don't know of any way to assign port numbers on Mac OS X. You can allow incoming connections to specific applications in the firewall settings. I did it with the freephoneline app. It is not working. I turned the computer firewall off and it is still not working. The whole app is acting is weird. Sometimes I receive a call, answer and don't hear anything while the caller phone keeps ringing. A friend who just go a freephoneline number has the same problems. Is there anybody out there who can use Freephoneline version: 3.2.6.0 on the Mac?
Hello there,

Is this the router model that you have?

http://www.intellinet-network.com/en-US ... dem-router

Please let me know.

Thanks,
lemac
Just Passing Thru

Post by lemac »

Hi,

yes, this is the router I used at home.
tmms
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: n/a
Firmware Version: n/a
ISP Name: BELL
Computer OS: Win XP
Router: 2Wire 2701 HG-G

Post by tmms »

1. The problem
==============

I also have a serious problem with FreePhoneLine desktop application.

Until quite recently, it worked without any problems.
Recently, I noted that the desktop application cannot log in to the FPL server,
without any indication, what could be wrong.
I guessed that uninstalling it and installing the newest version maybe could help.

It helped - very partially.

This newest version did not work properly: there was no incoming audio.
The calls were connected properly (both inbound and outbound), and my callers
were able to hear me, but I was not able to hear them (even the faintest sound).

The FPL's 'test connection' function consistently showed:
Results: Call service is OK.
Data transfer: Unable to send/receive sound data! Port 13000 should be available.
Possible reasons: NONE

My configuration:
I have a Bell's device 2wire 2701HG-G.
It is a modem combined with a wired+wireless router.
Bell calls it a gateway.
Hardware version: 2700-100618-007
Software version: 6.1.5.74-enh.tm

This gateway is connected directly to my desktop PC via an Ethernet cable.
My PC runs Windows XP SP3. On this PC I have installed a fresh, newest copy of FPL softphone

(after uninstalling the previous copy).
By the way: On this PC I have also installed Skype and GTalk, and both of these have no problems

with duplex audio, without any necessity of modifying anything in the router.

2. Seeking help on my own
=========================

According to the forum instructions I have opened ports 5060-5061, 6060-6061 and 13000-13001 for
UDP traffic in my gateway. It didn't help.

So I took my gateway out of the Bell line, and instead I connected to the Bell line an old DSL
modem (without routing functions). Then I connected my PC directly to the modem. It didn't help
either, the problem persisted.

I also tried to connect another PC, this one running Windows 7, with a fresh installation of FPL,
to my gateway and to my old modem. This, too, didn't help.

On the forum, I have found the trick with substituting the IP address of the server
voip.freephoneline.ca with the IP address of the server voip2.freephoneline.ca
in the 'hosts' file, but I have found also, that after March 15th this trick seems
not to work anymore. Is any other substitute IP address available ?

I have found also the advice of disabling modem/router's SIP ALG settings.
I wonder, if this advice is still valid ?
If so, is it possible to be done on the user level ? I ask, because I don't see this option
in my gateway settings accessible for me. Does accessing it requires going directly
to a specific in-gateway address (e.g. 192.168.2.xxx instead of 192.168.2.1) ?
If not, and if it requires calling Bell and having them to disable this option by themselves,
is it to be done directly by the user (seems hard to achieve, as Bell technicians seem
not to know anything about this possibility), or is it to be done by the FPL support guys ?

The last advice from the forum was to contact the FPL via forum's private messages.
So I did.

3. Contact with 'Fongo Support' via PMs
=======================================

After PMing them with my problem they have 'verified' account 12894887719 and 'forced a
registration'. (BTW: account was in use since years.)
They requested to reboot PC and let them know if the line is working as expected.

The result: now I have the incoming audio (yay!), but I do not have the outgoing audio (boo!).

I tried to use the FPL to call to several recipients, both me calling them, as well as me being
called by them. The results were consistent: my recipients didn't hear me.

'Fongo Support' thought that the reason lies with my configuration. After getting the details of
my configuration (as listed above), they called me and confirmed, that indeed they didn't hear me.

So they PMed me with a request to power-cycle my equipment (including PC) for at least 15-20
minutes.

Despite my explanation, that I power-cycled my equipment several times, and started it
sequentially, as described on the forum, and that it didn't help at all, they insisted to do again.

So I did it again:
Powering off for 20 minutes both the modem/router combo, as well as the computer -- done.
Starting back the combo, then, after it established the connection to the internet, starting back
the computer -- done.
Problem persisted.

The FPL's 'test connection' function showed as usual:
Data transfer: Unable to send/receive sound date! Port 13000 should be available.

So I did it again one more time:
Powering off for 30 minutes done again.
Sequential starting done again.
Problem persisted, test connection results were as before.

After sending the above results to 'Fongo Support' there was no more reply from them, despite the
results being sent to them 16 hours ago (containing at least 8 regular business hours).

4. My thoughts / doubts
=======================

Several users reported problems with 'no incoming audio' or 'no outgoing audio' since at least
March 1st. It seems impossible that every one of these users suddenly started messing around their
configuration. It means that the most probable cause of the problems was some kind of change made
by FPL. Despite that, FPL didn't mentioned anything on the forum, and it seems not to try to
address this problem on the forum.

If both incoming and outgoing audio goes thru the same port 13000, then the fact, that audio works
one way, shows, that port 13000 actually is open properly, and the 'test connection' function seems
to give a false message.

5. Improvement suggestions:
===========================

At first, I tried to get help via 'Troubleshooting' section of the FPL FAQ.
Unfortunately, this section is pitifully poor in content (see yourself).
At a minimum, it should contain a redirection to the FPL forum.

It would help, if FPL application had an 'echo' function, similar to Skype.
It would allow to trace the audio problems more easily.

It would help also, if FPL had something like a private chat for problem resolution purposes.
Communicating by the chat would be much quicker that exchanging private messages.
leman
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: microSIP
ISP Name: rogers
Computer OS: windows xp sp3

Post by leman »

I agree with tmms, it is extremely unlikely that the problem in our computer, it started about the same time (beginning of March 2013), after old desktop application cannot be used anymore (could not even login), and with version 3.2.6, I can login.
I test that, it work from freephone line desktop to fongo on android. But not with the other type of number

I test that with my own notebook, my friends, and on a number of different ISPs.

I assume there must be something wrong between feb 27 - March 3 because the problem started at that time frame.

I begin to believe it might be something in the server/network side of FPL.

thanks,
TrickyLee1
Just Passing Thru

Post by TrickyLee1 »

I am having these exact same problems I have forwarded all ports as requested and cycled power to modem and router yet it still doesn't work for two way audio. Further I have used my friend's free phone line account at my house and it does get two way audio as they already have PMed "fongo support" who said they forced their registration to fix this one way audio issue. This is telling me that this whole issue is on the FPL servers side and not on individuals setup as everything was working before the last upgrade. I have also PMed Fongo Support yesterday morning but nobody has responded back to me to help with this issue.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

tmms wrote:1. The problem
==============

I also have a serious problem with FreePhoneLine desktop application.

Until quite recently, it worked without any problems.
Recently, I noted that the desktop application cannot log in to the FPL server,
without any indication, what could be wrong.
I guessed that uninstalling it and installing the newest version maybe could help.

It helped - very partially.

This newest version did not work properly: there was no incoming audio.
The calls were connected properly (both inbound and outbound), and my callers
were able to hear me, but I was not able to hear them (even the faintest sound).

The FPL's 'test connection' function consistently showed:
Data transfer: Unable to send/receive sound data! Port 13000 should be available.

My configuration:
I have a Bell's device 2wire 2701HG-G.
It is a modem combined with a wired+wireless router.
Bell calls it a gateway.
Hardware version: 2700-100618-007
Software version: 6.1.5.74-enh.tm

This gateway is connected directly to my desktop PC via an Ethernet cable.
My PC runs Windows XP SP3. On this PC I have installed a fresh, newest copy of FPL softphone

(after uninstalling the previous copy).
By the way: On this PC I have also installed Skype and GTalk, and both of these have no problems

with duplex audio, without any necessity of modifying anything in the router.

2. Seeking help on my own
=========================

According to the forum instructions I have opened ports 5060-5061, 6060-6061 and 13000-13001 for
UDP traffic in my gateway. It didn't help.

So I took my gateway out of the Bell line, and instead I connected to the Bell line an old DSL
modem (without routing functions). Then I connected my PC directly to the modem. It didn't help
either, the problem persisted.

I also tried to connect another PC, this one running Windows 7, with a fresh installation of FPL,
to my gateway and to my old modem. This, too, didn't help.

On the forum, I have found the trick with substituting the IP address of the server
voip.freephoneline.ca with the IP address of the server voip2.freephoneline.ca
in the 'hosts' file, but I have found also, that after March 15th this trick seems
not to work anymore. Is any other substitute IP address available ?

I have found also the advice of disabling modem/router's SIP ALG settings.
I wonder, if this advice is still valid ?
If so, is it possible to be done on the user level ? I ask, because I don't see this option
in my gateway settings accessible for me. Does accessing it requires going directly
to a specific in-gateway address (e.g. 192.168.2.xxx instead of 192.168.2.1) ?
If not, and if it requires calling Bell and having them to disable this option by themselves,
is it to be done directly by the user (seems hard to achieve, as Bell technicians seem
not to know anything about this possibility), or is it to be done by the FPL support guys ?

The last advice from the forum was to contact the FPL via forum's private messages.
So I did.

3. Contact with 'Fongo Support' via PMs
=======================================

After PMing them with my problem they have 'verified' account 12894887719 and 'forced a
registration'. (BTW: account was in use since years.)
They requested to reboot PC and let them know if the line is working as expected.

The result: now I have the incoming audio (yay!), but I do not have the outgoing audio (boo!).

I tried to use the FPL to call to several recipients, both me calling them, as well as me being
called by them. The results were consistent: my recipients didn't hear me.

'Fongo Support' thought that the reason lies with my configuration. After getting the details of
my configuration (as listed above), they called me and confirmed, that indeed they didn't hear me.

So they PMed me with a request to power-cycle my equipment (including PC) for at least 15-20
minutes.

Despite my explanation, that I power-cycled my equipment several times, and started it
sequentially, as described on the forum, and that it didn't help at all, they insisted to do again.

So I did it again:
Powering off for 20 minutes both the modem/router combo, as well as the computer -- done.
Starting back the combo, then, after it established the connection to the internet, starting back
the computer -- done.
Problem persisted.

The FPL's 'test connection' function showed as usual:
Data transfer: Unable to send/receive sound date! Port 13000 should be available.

So I did it again one more time:
Powering off for 30 minutes done again.
Sequential starting done again.
Problem persisted, test connection results were as before.

After sending the above results to 'Fongo Support' there was no more reply from them, despite the
results being sent to them 16 hours ago (containing at least 8 regular business hours).

4. My thoughts / doubts
=======================

Several users reported problems with 'no incoming audio' or 'no outgoing audio' since at least
March 1st. It seems impossible that every one of these users suddenly started messing around their
configuration. It means that the most probable cause of the problems was some kind of change made
by FPL. Despite that, FPL didn't mentioned anything on the forum, and it seems not to try to
address this problem on the forum.

If both incoming and outgoing audio goes thru the same port 13000, then the fact, that audio works
one way, shows, that port 13000 actually is open properly, and the 'test connection' function seems
to give a false message.

5. Improvement suggestions:
===========================

At first, I tried to get help via 'Troubleshooting' section of the FPL FAQ.
Unfortunately, this section is pitifully poor in content (see yourself).
At a minimum, it should contain a redirection to the FPL forum.

It would help, if FPL application had an 'echo' function, similar to Skype.
It would allow to trace the audio problems more easily.

It would help also, if FPL had something like a private chat for problem resolution purposes.
Communicating by the chat would be much quicker that exchanging private messages.
Hi there,

Just to give you a quick update on this issue, I have worked with someone that has the same modem as you and they were able to receive calls with no audio issues.

Today we are testing the line, and if everything works as expected, tomorrow will post screenshots and instruction to configure the 2wire Modem.

Special thanks to krazyken who helped and volunteered his time(and modem) to run this.

Thanks,
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

Please see the post below for Bell2wire setup.

http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8596

Thanks,
tmms
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: n/a
Firmware Version: n/a
ISP Name: BELL
Computer OS: Win XP
Router: 2Wire 2701 HG-G

Post by tmms »

Below is a screenshot of my settings of Bell's device 2wire 2701HG-H.
2wire settings .JPG
Essentially they are the same settings as krazyken's, just with a different name and a different order of the rules.

I have set my device this way on March 15th. It didn't work then. I had no incoming audio then.
On March 17th, after 'Fongo_support' intervention on their side, I got incoming audio, but I lost outgoing audio.
The settings on my side were not changed. Just a miracle happened. ;-)

On March 21st, I got outgoing audio, too. And the incoming audio was not lost ;-)
And again it happened without any changes in the settings on my side. Just another miracle ;-)

By the way, the FPL application's 'test connection' function consistently show:
. Status:Done
. Results: Call service is OK.
. Data transfer: Unable to send/receive sound data! Port 13000 should be available.
. Possible reasons: NONE
Taking into account, that currently I have both incoming, as well as the outgoing audio,
it seems that this 'test connection' function isn't very reliable. ;-)
Let's call it a little liar ;-)

=====

Unfortunately, my problems are not over yet.
Today, having the duplex audio and trying to call out, I have discovered, that 80% of my outgoing calls
were dropped after 30-35 seconds. (Before today, I never had a chance to discover it, because I always
terminated my voiceless calls long before they reached 30 seconds.)
Fortunately, my incoming calls are OK. For now.

So, I am waiting for another miracle :-)
I am afraid, however, that the next miracle may cure the outgoing calls, but cut off my incoming calls instead.
It seems, that FreePhoneLine does not want me to be too happy. ;-)

clujeanul
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: SPA112, 2 FXS
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 (006) Oct 22 2
ISP Name: Rogers cable
Computer OS: Widows xp
Router: SMS8014W-G

Post by clujeanul »

I have the same problem. i have just installed the free phone line app on my computer. I am able to dial a number and the receiver can pick up the call, the receiver can hear my voice, however, I cannot hear the receiver speak. Before I work on setting up my phone adapter I would like to make sure that the service works on my computer.

My current internet service provider is Rogers. I am utilizing an SMC Networks device, SMC8014W - G wireless router.

Can anyone help me set up my computer up so I can use the free phone line services?

Thank you in advance!
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

clujeanul wrote:I have the same problem. i have just installed the free phone line app on my computer. I am able to dial a number and the receiver can pick up the call, the receiver can hear my voice, however, I cannot hear the receiver speak. Before I work on setting up my phone adapter I would like to make sure that the service works on my computer.

My current internet service provider is Rogers. I am utilizing an SMC Networks device, SMC8014W - G wireless router.

Can anyone help me set up my computer up so I can use the free phone line services?

Thank you in advance!
Hi there,

Please ensure that ports are fwd'ed correctly on your SMC.
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... neline.htm

Also, If you are experiencing issues after you fwd'ed the ports, please ensure that SIP ALG (application layer gateway ) is disabled on your SMC.

If you are still having issues after performing these steps, please send a PM to any of the mods (including myself) and we will assist.

Thanks,
lemac
Just Passing Thru

Post by lemac »

I started this thread. It got numerous replies but none really addressing my case. I didn't know I had to configure routers and possibly my Mac firewall to get the app working. I don't know how to do it.

I was hoping for a much easier, sort of plug and play setup. It seems we can't really use the service while on the go.

Can anybody help me setting my system up? Thanks!
oldpacha
Just Passing Thru
SIP Device Name: PAP2
Firmware Version: 3.1.15(LS)
ISP Name: Cable
Computer OS: Linux (Ubuntu)
Router: Lynksis WRTG54gs

Post by oldpacha »

And no audio in ...
Hi !

I did recommend "freephone line" to a friend of mine ...
Since I allready have an account hooked with a Linksys PAP2 module.
Her account is hooked on a LinkSys PSA112, the replacement of mine.

I did the configuration of her PSA112 and remote persons can't ear her ... and now, no communication at all.
I tested by calling her, one phone on each hand (talking to myself ;o) )

And by the way ... I enter her configuration into my PAP2 and have the same result while mine is working ok!
And i enter my configuraton on her PSA112 and my configuration work well while her configuration is not workink.

At the lignt of this, ports are well opened on both devices ... the only common point of failure is her freephoneline configuration or a more general problem at freephoneline. (just read the posts)
I have the perfect setup to proove that the problem is not from my configuration or setup.

Is there someone from "fongo" who can help on this ...

Up to now, she paid $50 for something that is not working.

Regards.

P.S. "LeMac" you may have no configuration problem at all, it could be on the Freephone line side, as you can conclude by all the posts.
stevenao
Just Passing Thru

Post by stevenao »

Yes, I got to the point that from no audio in/out to getting audio in, but not out. I have forward all 3 sets of UDP to my behind NAT machine running softphone. Test Connection always shows 13000 port problem despite that I did forward the needing port. I am out of ideas to fix it as there is not enough debug info in the software.
Varso01
Just Passing Thru
Computer OS: Win 10 X64
Router: Linksys WRT54G V5 DD-WRT

Post by Varso01 »

I have the same problem as everyone else. I have worked all my life in a computer job and trust me, the required ports on my router are opened. Please stop beating yourself to death, if you have opened your ports. The problem is on Fongo's side and I suspect it is a deliberate move for the following reasons.

Fongo does nothing to address the issue.
Fongo does not reply to PM regarding this issue.
The problem started with the new Fongo software and since last month, no new version have been made available to us.
The problem started when Fongo took control of Freephoneline.
It seems that account needs to be reset manually by Fongo in order to work.
As far I can see, only clients with paid routers and full subscriptions have received help to date.

Bottom line, I suspect all accounts are deactivated and accounts are reactivated only when Fongo staff decides you are bringing enough $ to the company.

Please Fongo prove me wrong and fix your software or do a global reset/reactivate on all accounts to solve our problem.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

Varso01 wrote:I have the same problem as everyone else. I have worked all my life in a computer job and trust me, the required ports on my router are opened. Please stop beating yourself to death, if you have opened your ports. The problem is on Fongo's side and I suspect it is a deliberate move for the following reasons.

Fongo does nothing to address the issue.
Fongo does not reply to PM regarding this issue.
The problem started with the new Fongo software and since last month, no new version have been made available to us.
The problem started when Fongo took control of Freephoneline.
It seems that account needs to be reset manually by Fongo in order to work.
As far I can see, only clients with paid routers and full subscriptions have received help to date.

Bottom line, I suspect all accounts are deactivated and accounts are reactivated only when Fongo staff decides you are bringing enough $ to the company.

Please Fongo prove me wrong and fix your software or do a global reset/reactivate on all accounts to solve our problem.
Hi there,

Re->Fongo does not reply to PM regarding this issue.

I am receiving quite a few PM's every day, and some of them are coming between 12 AM- 7 AM. I am trying very hard to help everyone to get their issue resolved.

I probably missed your PM- for which I apologize.

Please send me PM with the telephone number on your account and I will have a look.

Thanks,
clujeanul
Just Passing Thru

Post by clujeanul »

You are right ! It took me almost 3 weeks to realize that.
You get what you pay for ! Unfortunately I paid almost 90 $ in all kind of lock keys and transfer number, I even paid some long distance founds so I was expected to get back something in exchange.
Not with this kind of Mickey Mouse operation !
I know it was my fault not doing a deeper research prior paying anything.
Learned something ? I hope so.
clujeanul
Just Passing Thru

Post by clujeanul »

The problem is on their end , they just fix the problem with the audio out and now, my outgoing calls were dropped after 30-35 seconds. Nothing we can do , I lost 90 $ in this < free phone line> but at least I learned something.
Fongo Support
Site Moderator

Post by Fongo Support »

clujeanul wrote:The problem is on their end , they just fix the problem with the audio out and now, my outgoing calls were dropped after 30-35 seconds. Nothing we can do , I lost 90 $ in this < free phone line> but at least I learned something.
Hi there,

Please send me a PM with your account number and I will investigate this asap.

You should not have any issues with your SPA 112, probably just a configuration issue on the ATA.

Thanks,