Helpful tips for proper configuration

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

Helpful tips for proper configuration

Postby Krazie243 » 06/10/2009

ATA Settings:
Register Expires: 180
RTP Packet Size: 0.020
Preferred Codec: G729a
Ring Frequency: 52
Ring Voltage: 90

Router Settings:
Line 1: UDP 5060 port must be open
Line 2: UDP 5061 port must be open
Softphone: UDP 13000 and 13001 ports must be open

Typical causes of one way calling: Ports not open, or multiple devices logged into the same VoIP ID
Typical causes of failed registration: Incorrect time settings on ATA/Router, or no internet connection.
Typical causes of call ID malfunction: The connection between our system and another company does not properly carry the Call ID information, or client is using multiple routing devices or ATAs with custom settings that interfere with the sending of Call ID settings. (this second possibility is never a problem for people who don't customize their settings)

Typical solution to 5-10 second dead air at beginning of call: The VoIP system always thinks there is 11 numbers to be dialed but phone numbers consist of 10, so the network may wait for an 11th number. To indicate that no new numbers will be entered, dial # and the numbers you have entered will be forced through without delay.

For linksys device users:
If your time settings are incorrect, update the following:
(Regional Section) Time Zone Settings: "GMT -5:00"
and "start=3/8/7/2:00;end11/1/7/2:00;save=1"
(System Section) Primary NTP Server: "time.nist.gov"
(System Section) Secondary NTP Server: "time.windows.com"
These will correct a common problem among the Linksys PAP2T devices that sets the time to year 2003
Curtis Smale
Student of Wilfrid Laurier University
Krazie243
Active Poster

Re: Helpful tips for proper configuration

Postby amitmeh » 06/12/2009

would you elloberate on caller ID malfunction? I am having this problem.
amitmeh
Quiet One

Postby Krazie243 » 06/12/2009

Perhaps you could post the issue you want to deal with in a thread about it? I think someone else already created a thread for that somewhere.
Curtis Smale
Krazie243
Active Poster

Postby wycito » 06/16/2009

About the time you have to wait till the system connects you can be solved by adding a line to your dial plan, here is an example of mine that work perfectly in all circumstances:
(<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|x[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxxS0|18xxxxxxxxxS0|1900xxxxxxx!)
with this one you can omit the 1 before the 10 digit number, all set by the router's dial plan, you can call 1800 or 800 numbers
Hope is helpful
wycito
Just Passing Thru

Postby wycito » 06/16/2009

Quick question here, I have 2 phone lines and my other one (with another provided works flawlessly), sometimes when I try to call with freepl.ca I get when it starts ringing a noise really bad and after it cant communicate just gives me a beep. all my settings are like accorded with my sip setting instructions tried to swap phones, swapped lines in the router, still the same, has anyone experienced this? cause is driving me up the wall
Thanks
wycito
Just Passing Thru

Postby Krazie243 » 06/16/2009

It is possible it has something to do with the Ring Frequency or Ring Voltage. The settings we give you are for the most part a recommendation. You can use different settings. I have personally run into a situation where the person's phone had no response to our recommended settings, but at a lower value for each setting the phone rang fine.
Curtis Smale
Krazie243
Active Poster

Postby Koolfreak » 06/19/2009

I've tried first to configure my firt ATA Linksys PAP2 unit with Freephoneline technician, and I always had the "that password is not valid" message error.

After 30 minutes of configuration, the technician have concluded than my ATA unit was faulty.

I brought a brand new Sipura SPA-2000 last week. I configured all settings, and the same error message occured.

Need help to solve this trouble.

My router is a Linksys WRT150N and all the ports are open for the ATA.

Thanx.
Koolfreak
Just Passing Thru

Postby FONGO_kris » 06/19/2009

Koolfreak wrote:I've tried first to configure my firt ATA Linksys PAP2 unit with Freephoneline technician, and I always had the "that password is not valid" message error.

After 30 minutes of configuration, the technician have concluded than my ATA unit was faulty.

I brought a brand new Sipura SPA-2000 last week. I configured all settings, and the same error message occured.

Need help to solve this trouble.

My router is a Linksys WRT150N and all the ports are open for the ATA.

Thanx.

Do you remember who you talked to?

Did you buy the first ATA from us?

Email admin@freephoneline.ca with your contact info, put Attn: Kris in the subject line.

Thanks
Kris
Logistics & International Purchasing | Fongo
Call us toll-free! 611 from your fongo phone or 1-855-836-3355
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy S2 [GT-I9100] / 3.0.15-I9100XXLPH / Thebyani v3.2
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

SIP Device Name: Polycom 550 IP Phone
Firmware Version: 4.2.0.0310
ISP Name: Rogers Cable
Computer OS: Ubuntu 11.10
Router: Cisco E1200-N
Smartphone Model: Samsung Galaxy S2
Android Version: 4.0.3

Postby wycito » 06/23/2009

Hi all after playing with the RING VOLTAGE I got rid of the noise in the line (so far) I have tried it and so far so good, Thanks all
hope the info I posted about the dial plan helped somebody...
wycito
Just Passing Thru

Postby FONGO_kris » 06/24/2009

Sounds great Wycito,

Good to hear you are enjoying freephoneline thus far, with many more cool features to come it's great to know that the amazment people feel now will only grow, we one day hope to accomplish many of the things other providors failed to do both with our services as well as your customer experience.

Thanks a lot,
Kris
Please advise I will no longer be contributing to this forum for the time being. Please feel free to email me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

Postby mjbad2 » 06/24/2009

Yes Ring Voltage setting for 90 was problem for me. The rings were low/intermittent/broken like the phone is dying with every ring. Set to 80 and its fine.
One problem I found is the voice from earpiece is so loud I have to keep the handset at least a 10-12 inches away.
How can I reduce the sound level from earpiece?

EDIT: How can I increase number of rings? Is it in PAP2 configuration? Or any option after pressing *98?
mjbad2
Active Poster

Postby FONGO_kris » 06/25/2009

Alright mjbad,

1. What you do is log into your FPL account using the email and password you used to register -- Go to freephoneline.ca and type that in.

2. Click on "FollowMe Settings" and where it gives you the option to, select "When Unavailable /FollowMe".

3. Enter (with no spaces or hyphens [-]) 1+AREACODE+0000000 and select "Save"

4. Select your desired number of rings, anywhere from 3 to 10 rings (3 rings = 12 seconds of ringing / 10 rings = 40 seconds of ringing).

5. Select save once more and you're done.

Your "FollowMe" number should look like this if your area code is 519... ---->15190000000<----

Thanks and you're all welcome!

------------------------------------------------

As for the volume of the handset, try turning your handset on Tone and turning the volume down. If it's cordless, it is the "Vol" button or other variations of "Volume", "Up / Down".

If it's corded, it's usually on the bottom or on the base under the handset.

Thanks again
Kris
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

Postby bilaliz » 07/05/2009

so here is my status, when some one calls me, they start hearing the bells going, but my fone only rings after they have already heared in ringing three times, and after their fourth (and the first actual ring on my phone) it goes to voicemal ... and i have also tried this my self with my cell phone.

i tried using the method below with 14160000000 and when i try to save, i get the message "The number is already used as a followme number by some one else" .... hence i cant save that number

another problem that i am having, is that after every 5-6 calls, when i call some one, the voice is so dim and chopped up that i cant hear anything at all, so i end up hanging the phone and dialing again... and then its all fine .... any one knows how to resolve this one?

admin wrote:Alright mjbad,

1. What you do is log into your FPL account using the email and password you used to register -- Go to freephoneline.ca and type that in.

2. Click on "FollowMe Settings" and where it gives you the option to, select "When Unavailable /FollowMe".

3. Enter (with no spaces or hyphens [-]) 1+AREACODE+0000000 and select "Save"

4. Select your desired number of rings, anywhere from 3 to 10 rings (3 rings = 12 seconds of ringing / 10 rings = 40 seconds of ringing).

5. Select save once more and you're done.

Your "FollowMe" number should look like this if your area code is 519... ---->15190000000<----

Thanks and you're all welcome!

------------------------------------------------

As for the volume of the handset, try turning your handset on Tone and turning the volume down. If it's cordless, it is the "Vol" button or other variations of "Volume", "Up / Down".

If it's corded, it's usually on the bottom or on the base under the handset.

Thanks again
bilaliz
Just Passing Thru

Postby FONGO_kris » 07/06/2009

You don't have to use - 14160000000 - You may use any bogus number that doesn't point anywhere (ie. 14165555555, 14168888888, 14161111111)

Keep us updated on whether this works for you or not as it works for us here in the office.
Kris
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

Postby revelationman » 07/07/2009

Special Application

Special Application allows the firewall to automatically open ports for the outgoing and incoming sessions of some multi-session protocols and applications, such as H.323, etc.

Enable Triggering

Trigger Table (up to 20 items)
# Name Type Port Interval IP Replace 3rd Host Init
1 FREEPHONE UDP 5060 ~ 5061 30000 ms Disable address replacement Not allowed

This is what i have done does this look right
revelationman
Just Passing Thru

Postby FONGO_kris » 07/08/2009

This is correct, yes. My I also suggest that within Windows Firewall you can add an Exception to a port? (ie. Add Port > 13000, 13001, 5060, 5061 > UDP)

I think it will work if you seperate the ports via comma's but to be safe you should enter them one by one. If you have Norton or McAfee this won't matter since they lock down all incoming and outgoing traffic until you add an exception as well and even then it can be dicey.

Most antivirus, online protection etc will monitor the ports (this won't disrupt anything) regardless if you have opened them or not.
Kris
FONGO_kris
Site Moderator

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users