Best Android incoming/outgoing call and text blocker app?

Share your tips, tricks and best practise ideas for Fongo services in here!

Best Android incoming/outgoing call and text blocker app?

Postby b1skit » 03/30/2016

Hi all,

I have a Rogers LTE tiered data plan on my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Running the latest Cyanogenmod version of Android 4.4.4), which I use to run the fongo app as a total replacement for calls and texting. For the most part, it works great.

Recently, I've incurred some large and accidental charges by dialing numbers using my native phone dialer instead of the fongo app, which uses the Rogers phone network to place my call (at $1/min!).

Additionally, the random phone number tied to my sim card several wrong number calls per week - answering these incoming calls over the Rogers phone network also costs $1/min.

I've spoken to Rogers, and they say they can't block incoming or outgoing calls or texts.

Can anybody recommend an Android app that will disable or block any outgoing or incoming calls and texts? I'd like to lock my phone to use Fongo exclusively, to avoid these accidental charges.
b1skit
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: Samsung Galaxy S3
Firmware Version: Cyanogen droid 4.4.4
ISP Name: Rogers

Re: Best Android incoming/outgoing call and text blocker app

Postby mh1983 » 03/31/2016

Not sure about apps to block things, but to avoid accidentally making calls with the carrier number, you'd have to change the defaults for calls:

http://android.stackexchange.com/questi ... on-nexus-5

To be safe, I'd recommend to never use the native dialer. Also, consider having no default; that way each time you make a call (through any dialing app, clicking a number on a site), you'd be prompted to use Fongo or the native dialer.

Incoming calls to the random number...do many have that? Presumably you'd give out your Fongo digits instead of the carrier number assigned to you?
mh1983
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: Grandstream HT-701
Firmware Version: 1.0.10.3
ISP Name: Teksavvy Cable
Computer OS: Windows 10 64 bit
Router: Linksys WRT N600 on DD-WRT
Smartphone Model: BlackBerry Q10

Postby b1skit » 03/31/2016

Thanks for the reply. I've already removed the defaults, as you suggested - and for the most part, it works. However, I'm looking for a permanent, software based solution to lock out calls and texts. I'm a student, so even a few dollars in accidental charges can be a big deal :)

Anybody else?
b1skit
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 03/31/2016

Auto block all your incoming calls. You enable those settings, and you will never see a call prompt from your cell. http://www.ubergizmo.com/how-to/block-calls-android/

You should hide all your phone icons, and only use your VOIP apps to make calls.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby b1skit » 04/01/2016

Hi, thanks for the suggestion!!

Unfortunately, I just tried this and it seems that these settings are actually tied to the network (rather than being embedded in the phone software only). I attempted to change the settings in this screen and was (strangely) prompted for a password, but I kept getting an "unrecognized network response" error.

The other possibility is that a bug in cyanogenmod prevents these settings from working, but the network error message makes it seem less likely that this is the case. I'm more inclined to believe Rogers has stripped as much usefulness out of the tiered data package as possible...
b1skit
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 04/01/2016

Interesting. I have an LG G3, using Fido's tablet plan, and it seems to work just fine.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby b1skit » 04/01/2016

Yeah - I spoke to a rogers rep on the phone who said she couldn't block anything from her end, and recommended I find an app solution, which is the reason I started this post.

That being said, she was from the billing department (not tech support), I asked while calling about an unrelated issue so it could be coincidental and she was just B.S.'ing...

But, either way, I'm still S.O.L. :\
b1skit
Just Passing Thru

Postby bridonca » 04/01/2016

I really cannot see what Rogers would be able to do to help you sadly. I do not like Cyanogenmod. At least anything after jelly bean. Always had a half baked feeling. Had it on a LG 930, which was a godsend compared to the 2.3.3 dreck that was on it before, but again, it felt half baked. The LG G3 is the first Android phone I own that I am happy with, so much so, I got another G3 as a backup. The G3 now runs Marshmallow. Sadly it is expensive, but it is worth it. I paid $360 for mine on one of Loblaws tax free sales, and paid additional $5.75 for a sim card I did not want, a $10 phone unlocking fee, and paid $55 total to park my Koodo account to cover my 90 day commitment, but I got $200 in gift cards, so I did good overall. That the G3 now runs Marshmallow stably, is much added bonus.
bridonca
Technical Support

Postby cnetl49 » 09/17/2016

I have been using Extreme Call Blocker. Individual numbers can be blocked as well as entire area codes. Responses can be set individually for each entry - send to voicemail, hangup no voicemail, send text message, etc. I have tried a number of call blocking apps but this is the only one that can be easily configured to do everything I expect and want it to do.
cnetl49
One Hit Wonder

Return to Tips & Tricks From Seasoned Users