Sim Card Activation

Have a question or problem with your Fongo Wireless service? This forum is the place to get help from both staff and fellow community members.
Visit The FongoWireless Support Knowledge-base for more.

Sim Card Activation

Postby Al3xe » 10/10/2019

I received my sim card today for my 2G wireless data plan. I activated it online as per the instructions provided.

I see Roger's name on the left corner as the carrier name and the connection bars are full, but I don't have any data.

I tried to restart my phone, removing the sim card and put it back, but it still doesn't work.

I sent a support ticket, but it might take a few days, so I was hoping to find help here.

Al3xeImage

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Al3xe
Just Passing Thru

SIP Device Name: HP PC
Firmware Version: SCSI\Disk________ST5
ISP Name: Vidéotron - Cable
Computer OS: Windows 8.1
Router: ZyXel EMG2926

Re: Sim Card Activation

Postby hanke » 10/10/2019

Did you pre pay for the data service relating to the sim card?

Did you turn data on..for the data service on your phone?
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

SIP Device Name: SPA3102
Firmware Version: 5.2.13(GW002)
ISP Name: Cogeco Cable
Router: DPC3848VM (Modem/Router)

Postby Al3xe » 10/10/2019

hanke wrote:Did you pre pay for the data service relating to the sim card?

Yes, I prepaid for it on October 4th. That's how I ordered my sim card.

And yes, I turned the data on on my phone. I even tried to enter Roger's APN and still doesn't work.

Al3xe
Just Passing Thru

Postby hanke » 10/10/2019

Al3xe wrote:
hanke wrote:Did you pre pay for the data service relating to the sim card?

Yes, I prepaid for it on October 4th. That's how I ordered my sim card.

And yes, I turned the data on on my phone. I even tried to enter Roger's APN and still doesn't work.

Not sure who your carrier is that you got the data plan from, but only choice you have is to deal with the carrier that you got the plan from. I know when I got my data plan from World Line Beta (which is from Fibernetics), I received my sim card, then had to log in to my account, pay for the data plan service which was linked to my sim card, payment was made and I had data service within minutes of paying.

Sorry I cant help you any further and hope you get it sorted out.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby Jake » 10/13/2019

Mine has 3G or LTE when the data is connected, so I would suggest that something is not set up right.

Like Hanke I had to set up a data plan after my sim had arrived. I don't believe there was an option to do it before.

On one phone that I installed it on, I had previously got the carrier to disable data, so I had to install the APN. It was INTERNET.COM from what I remember.
I talked to a support tech the other day and he mentioned that Worldline had their own APN (go.net?)

Support will get back to you, but it being a long weekend it might take a bit longer than usual.

Do you have another phone you can try it in?
Jake
Technical Support

Postby bridonca » 10/13/2019

I have the Worldline SIM card, I do not know if the Fongo SIM card is different.

For LTE, I use this APN

ltemobile.apn

I would make sure data is turned on in the phone, and reset the phone after each change.
bridonca
Technical Support

SIP Device Name: Netgear WGR615V
Firmware Version: latest
ISP Name: Eastlink
Computer OS: XP

Postby Al3xe » 10/14/2019

Jake wrote:Mine has 3G or LTE when the data is connected, so I would suggest that something is not set up right.

Like Hanke I had to set up a data plan after my sim had arrived. I don't believe there was an option to do it before.

On one phone that I installed it on, I had previously got the carrier to disable data, so I had to install the APN. It was INTERNET.COM from what I remember.
I talked to a support tech the other day and he mentioned that Worldline had their own APN (go.net?)

Support will get back to you, but it being a long weekend it might take a bit longer than usual.

Do you have another phone you can try it in?
Yes, I tried.

Now it's been working for 2 days straight, so hopefully it stays this way.

That was kind of weird that it worked randomly after a few days

Thanks for the help.

Al3xe
Just Passing Thru

Postby Dracula » 01/14/2020

I have the same problem. I looked up the rogers apn address listed above and it seems to connect now but slow as old butts. I am guessing there are some more settings etc that need to be manually added. I contacted support but it basically took them 3 days to reply and tell me to “make sure mobile data is enabled” like duh. I’ll wait a few more days to see if they get back to me with any real troubleshooting steps or additional settings to try. I can’t see me sticking with fongo if it’s going to be like this though. :cry:
Dracula
One Hit Wonder

SIP Device Name: LG X Power
Computer OS: Win10

Postby ckkatan » 12/18/2020

I am having the same/similar issue. But, the APN setting does not seem to resolve the issue. Any suggestions? I have opened a ticket on the Fongo Wireless help desk.

Thanks.
ckkatan
Active Poster

SIP Device Name: Cisco
ISP Name: DSL
Router: Linksys

Postby hanke » 12/19/2020

I have had Worldline data plan since it started.

I either use the Fongo Wireless - " gonet.apn " or Rogers LTE "ltemobile.apn "

I find that to tether the Fongo Wireless works for me, but the Rogers LTE will not let me tether. I generally have good service for the data plan but find the Rogers seems to be better. I am using the sim card on a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby ckkatan » 12/19/2020

I have tested both gonet and ltemobile apn setting without any success resolving the internet access issue. I am using the Fongo SIM card on a Pixel 4A.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby hanke » 12/19/2020

ckkatan wrote:I have tested both gonet and ltemobile apn setting without any success resolving the internet access issue. I am using the Fongo SIM card on a Pixel 4A.

I guess then its something on Worldlines activation, too bad. Sorry couldn't help you any further.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby ckkatan » 12/19/2020

hanke wrote:
ckkatan wrote:I have tested both gonet and ltemobile apn setting without any success resolving the internet access issue. I am using the Fongo SIM card on a Pixel 4A.

I guess then its something on Worldlines activation, too bad. Sorry couldn't help you any further.

Thanks. I am waiting for Fongo Wireless to respond to my ticket. I hoped this does not take 1 to 2 weeks just like their shipping of the new card.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby ckkatan » 12/20/2020

Should a data SIM card have a phone number programmed in it? The new Fongo Wireless SIM card that I just received (which is not working) indicated that the phone number is unknown when I check the SIM info.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby hanke » 12/20/2020

ckkatan wrote:Should a data SIM card have a phone number programmed in it? The new Fongo Wireless SIM card that I just received (which is not working) indicated that the phone number is unknown when I check the SIM info.

No its only a data card. There is no phone number associated to it at least mine doesn't from Worldline. You can put the sim card into any phone or tablet that accepts the sim.

This is where you would use the Fongo Mobile app which would be your phone number.

Did you login to your Fongo wireless account and activate the sim card?

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001972071-Fongo-Wireless

Signing up for Fongo Wireless is easy. Just visit the Fongo Wireless site to get started.

Add the product to your cart and check out and we'll ship you a welcome package including a SIM card for your Fongo Wireless service. During this process you will set up a new account for Fongo Wireless, this is different from any of your Fongo Mobile, Fongo Home Phone and Fongo Works accounts.

Once you have the SIM card log back in to the Fongo Wireless web site and activate your sim with the code given in your welcome package.

Pop that SIM card into your device and you are ready to go.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby ckkatan » 12/20/2020

hanke wrote:
ckkatan wrote:Should a data SIM card have a phone number programmed in it? The new Fongo Wireless SIM card that I just received (which is not working) indicated that the phone number is unknown when I check the SIM info.

No its only a data card. There is no phone number associated to it at least mine doesn't from Worldline. You can put the sim card into any phone or tablet that accepts the sim.

This is where you would use the Fongo Mobile app which would be your phone number.

Did you login to your Fongo wireless account and activate the sim card?

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001972071-Fongo-Wireless

Signing up for Fongo Wireless is easy. Just visit the Fongo Wireless site to get started.

Add the product to your cart and check out and we'll ship you a welcome package including a SIM card for your Fongo Wireless service. During this process you will set up a new account for Fongo Wireless, this is different from any of your Fongo Mobile, Fongo Home Phone and Fongo Works accounts.

Once you have the SIM card log back in to the Fongo Wireless web site and activate your sim with the code given in your welcome package.

Pop that SIM card into your device and you are ready to go.

I did activate the card on the Fongo Wireless account. The webpage shows that it is activated with 0 GB used for the last few days. The mobile data is enable. If I disconnected the WiFi, I can't access any internet using the Fongo Wireless SIM card. I have tried adding the Fongo / Rogers APN on the phone without any success.

I hoped that it is likely a programming issue at the Fongo Wireless end. I have opened a ticket on the Fongo helpdesk and waiting for them to respond. I have not heard back from them yet, perhaps they are not working during the weekend. :(
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby hanke » 12/24/2020

So did you get your data card sorted out yet?
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby ckkatan » 12/24/2020

hanke wrote:So did you get your data card sorted out yet?

Nope.

Late last night, I finally received an email from Fongo Wireless indicating that they are having an issue with the data-only SIM card activation. Therefore, they can't resolve the issue that I am having at the moment.

They also indicated that they are working on resolving the issue during the Christmas break. However, they could not provide an estimated time for a resolution. Furthermore, they also listed their data-only packages as "out of stock" on the website.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby hanke » 12/25/2020

Thats too bad. I got the original beta Worldline data offering a couple years ago when it started for $20.00 5 gibs of data...but when they then offered it for sale the price went to 34.99 and then Fongo Wireless started. I think if i ever changed I would be looking at Freedom Mobile since they offer https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/bring-your-own-phone at a competitive rate with a phone number, but I believe its a self serve support as well. All done online only.

All the best for Christmas and hope your headache gets sorted out.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby ckkatan » 12/25/2020

hanke wrote:Thats too bad. I got the original beta Worldline data offering a couple years ago when it started for $20.00 5 gibs of data...but when they then offered it for sale the price went to 34.99 and then Fongo Wireless started. I think if i ever changed I would be looking at Freedom Mobile since they offer https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/bring-your-own-phone at a competitive rate with a phone number, but I believe its a self serve support as well. All done online only.

All the best for Christmas and hope your headache gets sorted out.

Thanks for the Freedom info. I hoped Fongo will resolve the issue quickly after the holiday break.
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby ckkatan » 01/10/2021

ckkatan wrote:Nope.

Late last night, I finally received an email from Fongo Wireless indicating that they are having an issue with the data-only SIM card activation. Therefore, they can't resolve the issue that I am having at the moment.

They also indicated that they are working on resolving the issue during the Christmas break. However, they could not provide an estimated time for a resolution. Furthermore, they also listed their data-only packages as "out of stock" on the website.

Finally, Fongo Wireless sent me a working data-only SIM card.

Thank you @Fongo!
ckkatan
Active Poster

Postby hanke » 01/11/2021

Glad you got things working to your satisfaction. It took a while but at least your up and running now.

Thanks for posting your update, nice to know.
hanke
Lightly Seasoned

Postby Yves_M » 05/14/2022

After having unreliable tethering for over a year on the Worldline Wireless plan, I discovered Rogers made changes to their APN settings that did not allow the ltedata.apn to remain as an option and I could only use ltemobile.apn. I struggled with spotty tethering and wondered if I had t go to another provider. Calls to Worldline offered no solutions.

Turns out, Rogers changed one of the settings in ltedata.apn so that the settings I had resulted in the APN as being non-selectable. The Rogers setting for "APN Type" was "dun". Rogers still has that listed as the correct APN setting for ltedata.apn in their help screen: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/rogers-apn-settings

I don't give up easily since this is the only plan where I can change the fixed data-only plan (no surprise overage charges) based on anticipated monthly usage, so I played with various APN settings by checking out other provider APN settings that use Rogers and finally found the fix. Rogers now uses a new APN type: "default,mms,suppl." which I found out by calling another wireless data provider that uses Rogers.

Seems the right APN makes all the difference for tethering on the Worldline plan. Wish they had that information on their website and that their techies had that solution in hand.

Current working APN settings for tethering:

APN: ltedata.apn
MMSC: http://mms.grps.rogers.com
MMS proxy: mmsproxy.rogers.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 720
APN type: default,mms,supl.
APN protcol: IPV4/IPV6
APN Roaming protocol: IPV4/IPV6
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
MVNO type: SPN
MVNO value: ROGERS

Other settings are not set or blank.

Just a note: The Fongo app on my smartphone does not work when the ltedata.apn is selected. In fact, the latedata.apn sets the phone to tethering only mode. To use the smartphone's data again for the phone, one has to go back to the ltemobile.apn. It is tedious to switch back and forth, but it works for me. Fortunately, I can still use Fongo's related Windows FreePhoneLine app for windows when using the computer if I have to make calls while in tethering only mode. I also have Fongo's follow-me settings set to forward calls on another phone when the app is offline.
Yves_M
One Hit Wonder

ISP Name: Worldline
Computer OS: Windows 10

Return to Community Support